By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - The Biggest Launch in Xbox History

Nautilus said:
shikamaru317 said:

Sounds like the Xbox launch in Japan is still going well. Got an Amazon restock yesterday that sold out, and boosted Xbox Series near the top of the bestsellers chart. Got another retailer restock and is flying off the shelves again I hear. During the previous generation, many retailers in smaller Japanese cities and towns who once carried 360 in Japan dropped the Xbox sections from their shelves and stopped carrying Xbox because Xbox One just wasn't selling, leaving just a few retailers in bigger cities like Tokyo with Xbox shelves, but I'm hearing reports that many of those same retailers in smaller cities and towns have gotten so many requests to start carrying Xbox again that they are creating Xbox shelves again.

That's great to hear!

Makes me wonder though: What did Xbox do differently compared to the Xbox One? I mean, in terms of games(first party), it has no new 9th gen exclusive games(thought to be honest, the launch games of the One were mediocre at best).

It certainly is a better hardware compared to the XOne, backwards compatibility is a really nice feature, and MS didn't screw up the marketing this time. But is it enough to make the Series already having sold something around 30% of what the XOne did lifetime in Japan?

Honestly, I'm not really sure. I would guess it is a combination of factors:

• Smaller size of Series X and especially Series S compared to the rather large PS5, since JP people tend to prefer smaller products (seem to remember hearing that the smaller 3DS models sold more than the 3DS XL models in Japan, whereas the opposite was true in the West)
  • Back compat and the ability to play older JP games with enhancements, like FF13 with higher resolution for instance, may have something to do with it
  • The value of gamepass, which has many JP 3rd party games available now, as well as all Xbox first party games day one
  • Maybe they got a new marketing team who is doing a better job

Hopefully Xbox sees this current strong performance in Japan and decides to try even harder in Japan. Would love to see some more JP first party studios, other than than Shinji Mikami's Tango Gameworks, which will be first party once the MS-Zenimax acquisition deal finalizes next year. Would also love to see them making some exclusivity deals with JP 3rd party devs like they did back in 360 days for games like Star Ocean 4 and Tales of Vesperia.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

If the rumours are true about The Initiative's format being akin to Black Mirror, I wonder how long each 'episode' will be? What would be the ideal length for you to be happy? Does this mean every episode will be SP only? Hard to imagine they'd make multiplayer components for each episode. Will they all be the same genre? TPS? 

Thinking on Black Mirror, there's a theory (actually I think it was confirmed) that while every episode is its own self contained story, the universe amongst a lot of episodes is the same, so I wonder if it's Perfect Dark's universe but multiple anthology episodes from the perspectives of different characters, separate self contained stories.

Man I have a lot of questions now.

Well, if it is an anthology series like Supermassive's Dark Picture's Anthology, Supermassive has already spearheaded a formula that seems successful for them. Each one they have released so far is $30 with about 4 hours (half the size of their $60 Until Dawn), with replayability through encouraged multiple playthroughs. Supermassive originally planned to to release 2 Dark Pictures games per year, but I think they have decided to only do 1 per year now, with more dev time on each game. 

Personally, I would like a bit larger than that if The Initiative decides to do 1 per year, maybe 6 to 8 hours for $30 each. Multiple dev teams within The Initiative, each one working with a different 1st or 2nd party partner to co-develop the games. 

Well second shipment still not arrived so I not got mine yet (pre ordered in August).

Also my xone was acting weird so had to hard reboot and my external drive did not want to be recognized by my xbox so had to plug it in my pc.... Worked on my pc, so did a soft reset of factory settings,  finally recognized my external hard drive but did not wanted to open games on it....So had to format it (2.4 TB of games gone).  A lot of google and MS troubleshoot but it all finally worked (took me around 10 hours)...  Anyway I expect my xsx next week.

Last edited by konnichiwa - on 21 November 2020

Ryuu96 said:

If the rumours are true about The Initiative's format being akin to Black Mirror, I wonder how long each 'episode' will be? What would be the ideal length for you to be happy? Does this mean every episode will be SP only? Hard to imagine they'd make multiplayer components for each episode. Will they all be the same genre? TPS? 

Thinking on Black Mirror, there's a theory (actually I think it was confirmed) that while every episode is its own self contained story, the universe amongst a lot of episodes is the same, so I wonder if it's Perfect Dark's universe but multiple anthology episodes from the perspectives of different characters, separate self contained stories.

Man I have a lot of questions now.

I think its possible that there are like 4 stories that are 5-6 hours and at the end of the game they somehow merge or interact m

I'm not sure why they didn't just compare it to Dark Pictures, Lol. They were talking about the format specifically and didn't know what to compare it to, they then compared it to a British show which is on Netflix, which given the context, is obviously Black Mirror.

I'm thinking it'll be TPS so I doubt they'd be able to do branching choices in each episode, seems like a lot of work, likely just one set story to follow per episode, I do agree they could possibly merge in the future, if they're set in say, Perfect Dark's universe, we play as multiple characters doing their own things, corporate espionage, alien investigation, eventually leading to a merger.

But that is if they're even all in the Perfect Dark universe, I think when they reveal their game they might have to reveal two games if this is the concept they're doing, if they reveal one title only and are like "This is 6 hours long" I don't think it'll go down too well, tricky to market.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 21 November 2020

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
shikamaru317 said:

Sounds like the Xbox launch in Japan is still going well. Got an Amazon restock yesterday that sold out, and boosted Xbox Series near the top of the bestsellers chart. Got another retailer restock and is flying off the shelves again I hear. During the previous generation, many retailers in smaller Japanese cities and towns who once carried 360 in Japan dropped the Xbox sections from their shelves and stopped carrying Xbox because Xbox One just wasn't selling, leaving just a few retailers in bigger cities like Tokyo with Xbox shelves, but I'm hearing reports that many of those same retailers in smaller cities and towns have gotten so many requests to start carrying Xbox again that they are creating Xbox shelves again.

That's great to hear!

Makes me wonder though: What did Xbox do differently compared to the Xbox One? I mean, in terms of games(first party), it has no new 9th gen exclusive games(thought to be honest, the launch games of the One were mediocre at best).

It certainly is a better hardware compared to the XOne, backwards compatibility is a really nice feature, and MS didn't screw up the marketing this time. But is it enough to make the Series already having sold something around 30% of what the XOne did lifetime in Japan?

I'd say it's less "they did something right" and more "Sony did something wrong". In between being the smaller control, Game Pass for a gen where games are going to be upwards of $70, lack of PS5 stock and increasing amount of multiplatform JP games, it seems they are going to fare better as a whole. Also, scarcity creates demand where there was none as well. 

Also, am I the only one who think if a developer should get Perfect Dark reboot, it should be Remedy? 

coolbeans said:
shikamaru317 said:
Sounds like the Xbox launch in Japan is still going well. Got another restock and is flying off the shelves again I hear. During the previous generation, many retailers in smaller Japanese cities and towns who once carried 360 in Japan dropped the Xbox sections from their shelves and stopped carrying Xbox because Xbox One just wasn't selling, leaving just a few retailers in bigger cities like Tokyo with Xbox shelves, but I'm hearing reports that many of those same retailers in smaller cities and towns have gotten so many requests to start carrying Xbox again that they are creating Xbox shelves again.

If true, that's especially weird given how there's no JP exclusives.  Maybe there's something tempting about BC and some of those offerings they never got around to playing?  Hard to say.

There is Phantasy Star 2 with the Genesis update coming in 2021. I don't think PS5 will be getting it.

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 21 November 2020

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Dirt 5 looks much better on PS5 when playing 120fps performance mode. I don't know that's up with Series X but it's not lookin good with these launch games. Not that it matters much as both consoles are so close, especially compared to X1 vs PS4 but still.

KiigelHeart said:
Dirt 5 looks much better on PS5 when playing 120fps performance mode. I don't know that's up with Series X but it's not lookin good with these launch games. Not that it matters much as both consoles are so close, especially compared to X1 vs PS4 but still.

At least Devil May Cry and Assassins Creed looked the same. For Dirt it almost looks like they're from different generations some times, so I actually believe the theory that there is some sort of bug involved for Dirt. This looks very strange.

Last edited by Hiku - on 21 November 2020

Hiku said:
KiigelHeart said:

At least Devil May Cry and Assassins Creed looked the same. For Dirt it almost looks like they're from different generations some times, so I actually believe the theory that there is some sort of bug involved for Dirt. This looks very strange.

It's quite possible, I'm not tech guy but feels unlikely a hardware would cause such difference.