By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: PS5 and Xbox Series X Spec Leak.

exclusive_console said:
On paper PS5 specs compared to X is much lower than expected. I guess Sony are confident 4K 60fps with those specs ? with the X it seems Microsoft want to get PC gamers onboard and core Xbox gamers from switching to Sony. Though if PS5 can undercut X price by 100$ I think they do not have to worry.

Specs don't tell the entire story though.
There is no mention of memory capacity or Ray Tracing capabilities.

From a computational standpoint the Xbox Series X is theoretically 30% faster.
And from a bandwidth standpoint is 25% faster.

But the Playstation 5 might be 50% better at Ray Tracing, we don't know yet.

setsunatenshi said:
thismeintiel said:

I'm curious if Sony was originally going to go with 36 CUs, but has now upped it to 40, 44, or 48.  With their higher clock, I believe that should give them 10.1 Tflops if they go with 40, and 11.1 Tflops if they go with 44, and 12 Tflops if they go with 48.  Either one would be acceptable and would also result in much better yields if MS is actually going with 56.

It's way too early to guess "flops" count right now, too much misinformation going around. The one strategy i'm really liking from xbox here is the dual sku approach though. I'm way into the idea of being able to pay a premium for premium hardware. I'm historically more partial to Sony 1st party software, so if they would copy MS's strategy in releasing a beefy version of the ps5 at launch I'd be all over that.

perhaps amd is extremely confident in their 7nm++ process to justify such high CU count, that would be excellent news for all, including pc gamers

If this leak is accurate... The Playstation 5 will be 9.2 Teraflops, the Xbox Series X will be 12.1 Teraflops.
Not that I hold much weight in those numbers.

But you are right, there could be some more changes we aren't privvy to... I.E. 128 Shaders per Compute Unit rather than 64. (Albeit very unlikely.)
That would then put the PS5 at 18.4 Teraflops.

Again, unlikely though, that would require allot of expensive redesigning of Navi and no one is going to do that.

OneTime said:

Hmm... It looks like someone just copied the specs for the current Radeon RX 5700 graphics cards and Ryzen 3800X CPU from Wikipedia.

I don't know what "custom" means in this context, but why bother fiddling with AMD's perfectly adequate PC design?

Well AMD's PC design isn't exactly industry leading right now, they are still trailing nVidia.

setsunatenshi said:

2- ray tracing will be a performance killer, you can look at current pc benchmarks to see that. the difference will be much more noticeable than the pixel count of current gen, which i agree, i don't particularly mind the 1440 upscale vs 4k done in the 2 consoles

We don't know the impact Ray Tracing will have on performance as AMD has never released a GPU with dedicated hardware ray tracing cores before.

haxxiy said:

56 CUs in the Series X would be insane, even more so than pushing AMD GPUs to 2000 MHz. 400mm2+ on 7 nm ain't going to be cheap chief. But the leaks from Taiwan seemed to point out a ~350 mm2 APU for the Series X (broadly consistent with the mock-up images Microsoft divulged) versus a 300 mm2 APU for the PS5. That to me indicates room for no more than 48 CUs, so who knows if that's indeed the case. By the way, if RT isn't included in the PS5's APU, it doesn't mean there isn't a custom chip dedicated to it. Cerny confirmed there will be a hardware solution, so I wouldn't be concerned about this particular point.

They could have made die-size savings elsewhere like cutting back on CPU caches which takes up a chunk of die-area.

Consoles tend to prefer GPU over CPU anyway, considering that next-gen consoles will only have a mid-range CPU just reinforces that...

HollyGamer said:

Both are using RDNA, and  that already 100% confirmed, If one of them choose GCN instead RDNA that will be foolish. Even Lisa Su from AMD made that statement at E3 2019 and CES 2019 th. Sony  next gen machine will be using Navi, the same thing also happen when Phil Spencer shows at CES 2019 at AMD press conference when he explained that Xbox will be using Navi (RDNA).

RDNA on the PC (I.E. Navi 1.0) is a hybrid GPU design using features from RDNA and GCN, it even retains the GCN instruction set.

Next gen consoles should be deviating somewhat to what Navi is on the PC.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

setsunatenshi said:

It's way too early to guess "flops" count right now, too much misinformation going around. The one strategy i'm really liking from xbox here is the dual sku approach though. I'm way into the idea of being able to pay a premium for premium hardware. I'm historically more partial to Sony 1st party software, so if they would copy MS's strategy in releasing a beefy version of the ps5 at launch I'd be all over that.

perhaps amd is extremely confident in their 7nm++ process to justify such high CU count, that would be excellent news for all, including pc gamers

If this leak is accurate... The Playstation 5 will be 9.2 Teraflops, the Xbox Series X will be 12.1 Teraflops.
Not that I hold much weight in those numbers.

But you are right, there could be some more changes we aren't privvy to... I.E. 128 Shaders per Compute Unit rather than 64. (Albeit very unlikely.)
That would then put the PS5 at 18.4 Teraflops.

Again, unlikely though, that would require allot of expensive redesigning of Navi and no one is going to do that.

setsunatenshi said:

2- ray tracing will be a performance killer, you can look at current pc benchmarks to see that. the difference will be much more noticeable than the pixel count of current gen, which i agree, i don't particularly mind the 1440 upscale vs 4k done in the 2 consoles

We don't know the impact Ray Tracing will have on performance as AMD has never released a GPU with dedicated hardware ray tracing cores before.

there's definitely something we're missing right now on this "leak". from the new rumors of the apu having already gone through changes after the first feedback, the missing reference to hardware ray tracing... something seems way too fishy here

on the ray tracing performance hit i'm going entirely on the benchmarks done in the rtx cards. i would be surprised amd manages to drastically outperform nvidia right out the gate, so color me cautious on this one.

thismeintiel said:
Dulfite said:
I think Microsoft will be very aggressive with pricing here. They know they screwed up at the start of this generation and PS4 took advantage. MS has a lot more money in the bank than Sony does as well, so I'm going to predict they sell it for a loss ($400) and make up for it with other profits. Heck, with Xbox gold, they could sell for $350 and be fine as long as people buy probably at least 3 games.
Ps5 may be the same price, but Microsoft will advertise itself as more power for the same buck. Sony probably won't be willing to lower their price as much, just a guess.

Not sure how many times it has to be said, but I'll say it, again, MS=/=Xbox. MS is not going to give Xbox the budget to lose them billions by taking a $200+ loss on HW, not when they are focusing on services as their future. You think the shareholders were loud at the beginning of this gen, they would be 10x louder at the beginning of next gen.

PlayStation, on the other hand, is one of Sony's top priorities. They are going to make sure it sells. And if that means taking a deeper loss on HW, then so be it. And I think plan on it, hence why the PS4 isn't already $199. They're building up a profit buffer. 

1)Who said anything about $200 loss? You think the series X will cost them $600-650 just to make?

2) Even if they did, let's say, take that big of a loss, in the long run people that buy consoles buy video games and on Xbox there is a great chance they subscribe to Xbox gold as well as Gamepass. Subscriptions are what Microsoft's bread and butter is now, Office suite demonstrates this. If they could lose that much on the console sales, they will no doubt still be turning a profit within a year or so with each of those customers, many well before that.

3) Microsoft's massive cash means they could do this sort of thing better than Sony. If they can lose $100 million on consoles, but by doing so capture more of the market to then make $200 million or more on subscriptions down the road that is worth it. Sony's failed businesses  in other avenues makes them with less cash to take this sort of short term risk/long term gain.

haxxiy said:
Hynad said:

Those specs make the PS5 roughly a little more than two thirds the power of the XBSX.

That’s substantial. 

Yes, it would make one's favorite toy run at 45 instead of 58 frames per second in the same game.

Gasp, the horror!

It doesn’t work linearly like that. But thanks for clarifying your exit from the topic.

Quick question: has either Microsoft or Sony ever confirmed they are using 7-nm for their next-gen systems? I know that is the current "Navi" and "Zen 2" manufacturing node - but when Sony/MS release the next consoles in Holiday 2020, TSMC's 5-nm process node will already be in mass production and already have a MASSIVE product scale going on - Apple's A14 in next year's iPhone release in Sep/Oct, which still sell in the 10 million+ range in the first weekend. That is far higher than any console launch. It would be riskier to go with a brand-new manufacturing node from the beginning, but using 5-nm right away would allow something like a 56 CU behemoth from Microsoft to launch at $399...

Around the Network
NextGen_Gamer said:
Quick question: has either Microsoft or Sony ever confirmed they are using 7-nm for their next-gen systems? I know that is the current "Navi" and "Zen 2" manufacturing node - but when Sony/MS release the next consoles in Holiday 2020, TSMC's 5-nm process node will already be in mass production and already have a MASSIVE product scale going on - Apple's A14 in next year's iPhone release in Sep/Oct, which still sell in the 10 million+ range in the first weekend. That is far higher than any console launch. It would be riskier to go with a brand-new manufacturing node from the beginning, but using 5-nm right away would allow something like a 56 CU behemoth from Microsoft to launch at $399...

yes, it was confirmed by AMD's CEO Lisa Su at the Microsoft stage. They should be using the 7nm+ process

Dulfite said:
thismeintiel said:

Not sure how many times it has to be said, but I'll say it, again, MS=/=Xbox. MS is not going to give Xbox the budget to lose them billions by taking a $200+ loss on HW, not when they are focusing on services as their future. You think the shareholders were loud at the beginning of this gen, they would be 10x louder at the beginning of next gen.

PlayStation, on the other hand, is one of Sony's top priorities. They are going to make sure it sells. And if that means taking a deeper loss on HW, then so be it. And I think plan on it, hence why the PS4 isn't already $199. They're building up a profit buffer. 

1)Who said anything about $200 loss? You think the series X will cost them $600-650 just to make?

2) Even if they did, let's say, take that big of a loss, in the long run people that buy consoles buy video games and on Xbox there is a great chance they subscribe to Xbox gold as well as Gamepass. Subscriptions are what Microsoft's bread and butter is now, Office suite demonstrates this. If they could lose that much on the console sales, they will no doubt still be turning a profit within a year or so with each of those customers, many well before that.

3) Microsoft's massive cash means they could do this sort of thing better than Sony. If they can lose $100 million on consoles, but by doing so capture more of the market to then make $200 million or more on subscriptions down the road that is worth it. Sony's failed businesses  in other avenues makes them with less cash to take this sort of short term risk/long term gain.

Xbox division has its own budget, MS isn't going to throw away money to try to claim more market share, this is no longer the 360 era, the PS4's dominance and Xbox's success with its current strategy direction aimed at how people access their content, means that market share is no longer the imperative it once was, that doesn't mean that you don't compete for it just that you do it differently.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/next-gen-ps5-next-xbox-ot-speculation-analysis-leaks-thread.1480978/page-457#post-256378561

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/next-gen-ps5-next-xbox-ot-speculation-analysis-leaks-thread.1480978/page-460#post-256382410

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 01 January 2020

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/next-gen-ps5-next-xbox-ot-speculation-analysis-leaks-thread.1480978/page-457#post-256378561

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/next-gen-ps5-next-xbox-ot-speculation-analysis-leaks-thread.1480978/page-460#post-256382410

don't know him, is he a reputable insider? i also share his opinion, just hope he has more than a feeling, like i do

The 9.2TF number IS BACK FROM THE DEAD.

Eurogamer made a mistake in their analysis, there is a test showing 530GB/s memory bandwidth which matches the FLUTE leak. But I think Sony is only using 18 Gbps pins for their devkit, retail will be lower. Do we now have enough info to make 1 final prediction that will nail it all down:

Lockhart: 4TF GPU (1737mhz, 18CU), 12GB Vram 128-bit bus, 224GB/s Memory speed, Disc-less, $250

PS5: 9.2TF GPU (2ghz, 36CU), 16GB Vram 256-bit bus, 448GB/s Memory speed + 4-6GB DDR4, $400

Xbox S X: 12TF GPU (1803mhz, 52CU), 16GB Vram 320bit bus, 560GB/S Memory bandwidth, $500

They all will have 8Core zen2 CPU and 1TB SSD at NVMe speed. The GPU will be custom RDNA1 and they be using tsmc 7nm EUV.

I think Microsoft is making a big mistake having lockhart without a disc-drive as the demand for disc-less console is probably minimun and they probably will be forced to lower the price on Xbox Series X to $450 as for $500 this is not a good deal.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!