By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: PS5 and Xbox Series X Spec Leak.

LudicrousSpeed said:
thismeintiel said:

And is this the 3rd or 4th final prediction?

Only three or four? So he’s one or two behind your “MS will exit hardware after this” prediction? 

Aw, how sweet of you to think of me.

Still only two, but why bring facts into a thread like this.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
melbye said:
Can't wait to buy PS5 cause just like in 2009 and 2014 i will buy my non-Nintendo console based on the games it has and not the amount power

Cart before the horse? You don't know what games Xbox will have next-gen yet. They've been buying studios like crazy, and are building 2 studios from the ground up. Multiple new IP's in development. 

Which studios are we talking about here? They got Ninja Theory and Obsidian, which make ok games but that's still peanuts compared to all the studios Sony has under its belt. All Sony studios have between 200 and 300 developers while something like MS's new studio, the Initiative, has like 32 employees. Other than that we know MS will just be releasing more Halo, Gears and Forza's. Not bad games, of course, but historically Sony has been a lot better at building studios and new AAA ip's.

12 Tflops still sounds pretty ridiculous when you consider that a RTX2080 TI alone costs $1500. Prices will drop for sure when the RTX 3*** series come out but that would still mean that these consoles will probably perform on par with RTX 3070, which will likely hit the market for like $800. It's no wonder Nvidia is pissed lol.

goopy20 said:
12 Tflops still sounds pretty ridiculous when you consider that a RTX2080 TI alone costs $1500. Prices will drop for sure when the RTX 3*** series come out but that would still mean that these consoles will probably perform on par with RTX 3070, which will likely hit the market for like $800. It's no wonder Nvidia is pissed lol.

Exaggerating PC prices again? The RTX 2080 Ti is pricey, but not THAT pricey.

And why are you even comparing that GPU instead of a RTX 2080 (less than $700) or RTX 2070 Super (less than $600)?

And why should a RTX 3070 cost around $800? Both RTX 2070 and RTX 2070 Super had a MSRP of $499. Maybe they'll try $549 or $599 for the next 70-model, but I doubt that.

You understand that the current RTX prices are only due to a lack of competition and that Nvidia can adapt these prices very fast if they have to... they have done that over and over again (f.e. the GTX 970 for $329 MSRP, much cheaper than the GTX 770 with $399 MSRP).

When the new competition arrives next fall (new consoles + Big Navi PC cards), they'll adapt.

goopy20 said:

You shouldn't use FLOPS as a performance measurement.

For example: RTX 2080 Ti and Radeon VII do both 13.4 TFLOPS at FP32 (float). Yet, the 2080 ti is at the minimum 30% faster in gaming performance.

5700 XT which has the current architectur (RDNA) probably used  in these console does even worse than the Radeon VII according to benchmarks.

I predict that the new consoles will be around 50% slower than what a current RTX 2080 ti can achieve at average.

Last edited by Peh - on 02 January 2020

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network

Yes I don't buy this leak as I don't buy the others. But it is still funny seeming the discussion and people claiming one thing or another based on them.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

shikamaru317 said:
Peh said:

You shouldn't use FLOPS as a performance measurement.

For example: RTX 2080 Ti and Radeon VII do both 13.4 TFLOPS at FP32 (float). Yet, the 2080 ti is at the minimum 30% faster in gaming performance.

5700 XT which has the current architectur (RDNA) probably used  in these console does even worse than the Radeon VII according to benchmarks.

I predict that the new consoles will be around 50% slower than what a current RTX 2080 ti can achieve at average.

Radeon 7 is last gen tech, GCN, Graphics Core Next. 5700XT and the next-gen consoles are using RDNA, not GCN. 5700 XT was not designed as a replacement for the Radeon 7, it was designed to sit one performance bracket down from the Radeon 7, it is only 10 tflop to the Radeon 7’s 13 tflop, that is the only reason why it is performing under the Radeon 7, and even then it still comes very close to Radeon 7 in some games like The Division 2 and Forza Horizon 4, which you can see in the pics I just linked. You can safely assume that when AMD releases a 13 tflop RDNA card, likely later this year, that it will beat the Radeon 7 by a decent margin, because RDNA is definitely a step up from GCN in terms of real world vs flops performance. 

50% weaker than 2080ti? I hardly think so, 12 tflop of RDNA should fall around 2080 tier in performance, and that is on PC. Console games get extra optimization compared PC games.Taking into account console optimization, multiplat games on XSX should perform about the same as they do on a PC running a 2080ti. Even this rumored 9.2 tflop PS5 would likely come within 25% of a 2080ti PC taking into account console optimization.

The initial point I was making is that FLOPS is a bad way of measuring performance where you also confirmed my statement by providing an example that Radeon VII and 5700 XT are identical in gaming performance. The difference between these 2 is around 3-4 TFLOPS at FP32. 

Let me show you what the base of my prediction is: 

First one: 

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-5700-xt.c3339

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-2080-ti.c3305

Relative performance difference provided by this site is about 34%. 

Second: 

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2080-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT/4027vs4045

Benchmark comparing these 2. Average user benchmark is at 72 % difference. 

XBOX Series X will be using a RDNA based architecture. RDNA 2.0 is scheduled to release this year 2020. Will RDNA 2.0 architecture find its way into XBOX Series X? I don't know.  This one also provides hardware based Raytracing. If it goes with an RDNA 2.0 than the difference could be smaller, but there is currently no data available that I could use. 

I read an article that they will enhance the RDNA 1.0 at some points for XBOX Series X. Sadly, I can't find that article anymore. 

Now, that's just GPU talk. We have to put that GPU into a gaming console and combine it with different costly devices. I assume that Xbox Series X will cost around 599€ at start. To achieve that price you will have to make certain sacrifices. One will be selling it at a loss, there other one is to reduce certain aspects of features or performances. 

Thus, I predict, but what is known to me and assumed by me, that the average performance of that console will be around 50% slower than a RTX 2080 Ti. 

I am comparing a graphics card against a full gaming console, where the card costs around 1000€ and that console around 600€.

Just add that the console also comes with a controller which is not free of costs to produce. 

Last edited by Peh - on 02 January 2020

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

melbye said:
Can't wait to buy PS5 cause just like in 2009 and 2014 i will buy my non-Nintendo console based on the games it has and not the amount power

This. Sony has a proven track record with games and sequels are coming out that many people are waiting for, while The Initiative still has to prove itself.

Regardless of that, not many people are going to swap a whole ecosystem just for nicer reflection effects or whatever.

shikamaru317 said:
goopy20 said:

Which studios are we talking about here? They got Ninja Theory and Obsidian, which make ok games but that's still peanuts compared to all the studios Sony has under its belt. All Sony studios have between 200 and 300 developers while something like MS's new studio, the Initiative, has like 32 employees. Other than that we know MS will just be releasing more Halo, Gears and Forza's. Not bad games, of course, but historically Sony has been a lot better at building studios and new AAA ip's.

The Initiative- AAA studio being built slowly with top tier talent from some of the best studios in the world. Believed to be working on a new AAA story driven 3rd person game, which is confirmed for announcement in 2020. Other 1st party studios are providing some development assistance while they staff up, since they don't want to rush the staffing process. 

Playground Studio 2- AAA RPG studio being built slowly with top tier talent. Believed to be working on a Fable Reboot.

Ninja Theory- AA studio capable of developing AAA games by using technology to make up for the developer deficit. They made Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice in 3 years with a team of just 20 people, and they are expanding that team for Hellblade 2. They also have a 3rd project other than Hellblade 2 and Bleeding Edge in development.

Obsidian- 1 AA team working on DLC for The Outer Worlds and a sequel to The Outer Worlds. 1 AAA team rumored to be working on a 3D Pillars of Eternity game that plays like Skyrim. 1 A team working on Grounded. 

Double Fine- One of the top indie/single A developers in the industry, with multiple hits under their belt. Unknown what they are working on besides Psychonauts 2, though it is highly likely that they have multiple games in development at once given their track record. 

Compulsion- AA studio. Their first game, We Happy Few, was shaky at best, but they are currently staffing up for a new IP, and they're hiring AAA talent for that project, including most recently 2 developers who formerly worked at Eidos Montreal on Deus Ex and Thief. 

Meanwhile they're rumored to be searching for more studios to acquire right now, with scouting teams spotted in Poland and Phil Spencer saying in interviews that he would like to get an Asian 1st party studio.

Doesn't Playground make the Forza Horizon games? Anyways, we will see. But lets be honest here, building new successful ip's to keep things fresh isn't exactly MS's strong suit. Since the original Xbox launched almost 2 decades ago, they have only managed to build 3 successful ip's (Halo, Gears and Forza) and they have been desperately trying to clamp onto them ever since, even when those franchises aren't that popular anymore. Compare that to Sony's studio's who are given the creative freedom to try new things and come up with games like: Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, TLOU, Ghost of Tsushima etc.

I'm sure MS knows they will never beat Sony with their exclusives so it's a smart move to launch a more powerful console. Risky move for sure because if they launch $100 or more expensive than the ps5 and the extra performance doesn't really translate to that much better graphics, they are pretty much screwed. Also, if Sony's console does fit normally under most people's telly's it could also be a problem for MS. Still, if these rumors are true I have to applaud MS for having the balls to go all out on their next console's hardware.

goopy20 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Doesn't Playground make the Forza Horizon games? Anyways, we will see. But lets be honest here, building new successful ip's to keep things fresh isn't exactly MS's strong suit. Since the original Xbox launched almost 2 decades ago, they have only managed to build 3 successful ip's (Halo, Gears and Forza) and they have been desperately trying to clamp onto them ever since, even when those franchises aren't that popular anymore. Compare that to Sony's studio's who are given the creative freedom to try new things and come up with games like: Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, TLOU, Ghost of Tsushima etc.

I'm sure MS knows they will never beat Sony with their exclusives so it's a smart move to launch a more powerful console. Risky move for sure because if they launch $100 or more expensive than the ps5 and the extra performance doesn't really translate to that much better graphics, they are pretty much screwed. Also, if Sony's console does fit normally under most people's telly's it could also be a problem for MS. Still, if these rumors are true I have to applaud MS for having the balls to go all out on their next console's hardware.

Didnt MS buy Gears property from epic games? They didnt really make that, they just own it.
Also Halo was from Bungie, which MS just bought to get halo.

I think they did make the forza line of games though.