By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you want in a Switch 2?

Switch doesn't exactly have the luxury of bulking up like a next gen console does, if it needs to, due to it's capabilities and performance. A Switch 2 has to remain relatively the same size as it is now. Since consoles aren't as space limited, internal density isn't near as important as in a Switch, but the fact remains, that Nin cannot just carelessly decide to increase the size of Switch by any amount if they want more power next gen.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 02 January 2020

Around the Network
Nu-13 said:
Cobretti2 said:

Why are you constantly talking about the PS4?  Switch 2 will be competing with PS5/XBSX

i use EA and Activision as an example because they make games for "mass market". If they can't be fucked porting a game to Switch t means it is too much effort to port it.

If it cost them peanuts to port they would be porting. The Switch has sold more than xbox one, yet xbox one still gets multi platform games because it is easy to port.

Here is another angle

When are you expecting the Switch 2 to come out? how many TFLOPs do you think Nvidia will be able to fit in for 10Watts of power by that release date? I just can't see anything on the horizon that will bridge the game in that time frame, considering we have gone from X1 which is 0.6 or so TFLOPs to Xavier being 0.8TFLOPs @ 10Watts / 1.4TFLOPS @30Watts (for automotive applications) in all this time so far.

Orin is rumored to be 65Watts and that isn't due till 2022.

The hell is that first sentence supposed to mean? The switch 2 will be quite more capable than a ps4 and thus have no trouble getting multiplats with ps5/xsx. I already said many times I expect a switch 2 in holidays 2022.

Stop talking about effing flops. Nintendo will use whatever 7-8nm gpu is in the making from nvidia that fits their budget/power consumption plan. Just like they did with the switch.

I know you said 2022, I was getting you to restate it because there is no way no how in 2022 a Switch 2 will have anything close hardware wise to being able to handle PS5 ports without huge sacrifices and effort/time by developers to get it to work. most publishers will not fund that kind of effort.

Why would I stop talking about FLOPs? you seem to think there is some magic sauce that will make Switch 2 be able to get ports form a 9.2TFLOP and 12TFLOP based machines. YES we get it that Nvidia per FLOP performance is better than AMD, but it is not even 2x better. 

Now if all the jump you are expecting is PS4 level, then there is no point releasing a switch 2 in 2022. May as well extend the generation and call it what it is, a portable console that connects to a TV that is mainly for Nintendo games and exclusive 3rd party content with some rare blurry effort of ports from home consoles.

The reason I say extend it, is because who are they really competing with at this point? No one. Not like I will be upset if the next two Zelda games look graphically the same. I can't get a better fix on the PS5 of Zelda, so there is no need to bump up to a Switch 2 for minimal gain. May as well wait and go hard

A future Switch can beat the PS4 Pro in everything except the GPU. For GPU power you are too thermally constrained. But the CPU and solid state storage can equal or surpass current consoles. I think that's why these arguments are going nowhere. No doubt a future Switch will be stronger and weaker, depending on what you are looking at.

The iPad Pro already has an amazing CPU that absolutely wallops the PS4 and PS4 Pro. But the GPU will take a lot longer to reach that level. I'm ok with that as CPU tends to be the most important part to get high frame rate gaming at 1080p type resolutions.

Alistair said:

A future Switch can beat the PS4 Pro in everything except the GPU. For GPU power you are too thermally constrained. But the CPU and solid state storage can equal or surpass current consoles. I think that's why these arguments are going nowhere. No doubt a future Switch will be stronger and weaker, depending on what you are looking at.

The iPad Pro already has an amazing CPU that absolutely wallops the PS4 and PS4 Pro. But the GPU will take a lot longer to reach that level. I'm ok with that as CPU tends to be the most important part to get high frame rate gaming at 1080p type resolutions.

"But the CPU and solid state storage can equal or surpass current consoles." - Ali

Supposedly PS5 / XBSX, will have Ryzen Zen 2 CPU's..... with 8 cores / 16 threads.
Thats like a downclocked "Ryzen 7 3700x". (this CPU competes with a i5-9600k in gameing benchmarks)

How in hell do you beat that with any current ARM cpu? (from what I understand there no where close to that yet)

Also even those Solid State storage is smaller than traditional harddrives.... they still take up quite alot of space.
Space a handheld device probably wont have, to spare.  

Thats ontop of all the things that lay beneath, that allows it to run the way it does.
Which again, no normal ARM chip would have. 
Nintendo would have to not buy "off the rack" normal mobile chips, for them to get anywhere close to what your claiming.
(basically this would be expensive as hell, if at all possible (the cpu thingy just isnt))

Alistar what you said, comes off sounding like dreams & wishfull thinking, without anything from reality backing it up.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 03 January 2020

Cobretti2 said:
Nu-13 said:

The hell is that first sentence supposed to mean? The switch 2 will be quite more capable than a ps4 and thus have no trouble getting multiplats with ps5/xsx. I already said many times I expect a switch 2 in holidays 2022.

Stop talking about effing flops. Nintendo will use whatever 7-8nm gpu is in the making from nvidia that fits their budget/power consumption plan. Just like they did with the switch.

I know you said 2022, I was getting you to restate it because there is no way no how in 2022 a Switch 2 will have anything close hardware wise to being able to handle PS5 ports without huge sacrifices and effort/time by developers to get it to work. most publishers will not fund that kind of effort.

Why would I stop talking about FLOPs? you seem to think there is some magic sauce that will make Switch 2 be able to get ports form a 9.2TFLOP and 12TFLOP based machines. YES we get it that Nvidia per FLOP performance is better than AMD, but it is not even 2x better. 

Now if all the jump you are expecting is PS4 level, then there is no point releasing a switch 2 in 2022. May as well extend the generation and call it what it is, a portable console that connects to a TV that is mainly for Nintendo games and exclusive 3rd party content with some rare blurry effort of ports from home consoles.

The reason I say extend it, is because who are they really competing with at this point? No one. Not like I will be upset if the next two Zelda games look graphically the same. I can't get a better fix on the PS5 of Zelda, so there is no need to bump up to a Switch 2 for minimal gain. May as well wait and go hard

I'll say it once more, does the switch have any of that? Because it already proved otherwise. And that gap ain't getting bigger on the 10th gen.

You need to stop talking about flops because that's not even accurrate to compare two different gpus (which are the things that have flops), let alone two different video games.

You who? No one should be expecting a jump to ps4 level.

The switch is a home console and portable at the same time, no ifs and butts. If there was no change in docked mode you could make a point.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Alistair said:

"But the CPU and solid state storage can equal or surpass current consoles." - Ali

Supposedly PS5 / XBSX, will have Ryzen Zen 2 CPU's..... with 8 cores / 16 threads.
Thats like a downclocked "Ryzen 7 3700x". (this CPU competes with a i5-9600k in gameing benchmarks)

How in hell do you beat that with any current ARM cpu? (from what I understand there no where close to that yet)

Also even those Solid State storage is smaller than traditional harddrives.... they still take up quite alot of space.

Thats ontop of all the things that lay beneath, that allows it to run the way it does.
Nintendo would have to not buy "off the rack" normal mobile chips, for them to get anywhere close to what your claiming.
(basically this would be expensive as hell, if at all possible (the cpu thingy just isnt))

Alistar what you said, comes off sounding like dreams & wishfull thinking, without anything from reality backing it up.

Try reading next time? I clearly said the PS4 "FOUR" CPU, and the current gen, and you are comparing with the PS5 instead... This is why people don't bother to discuss the Switch's power with people, there's a bunch of people who just rant lopsidedly without even reading what's on the page or thinking at all.

The current Switch has a weak CPU and GPU (it's a $30 mobile chip, not a desktop or home console class chip). However, current cellphone ARM CPUs (which will be 6 years newer than the 2014 CPU from the Galaxy Note 4 that is in the Switch) are much faster than the PS4 Pro's CPU. Both the Snapdragon 855, and even more so the iPad Pro's CPU are faster than the PS4. The GPU however is quite a bit slower as the GPU uses up most of the "power" or "thermal" budget in a console, and can't be fit in a mobile device at this time. (though they are getting closer, I think the PS4 itself is in reach for the next iPad Pro).

So as I said, a future Switch could easily have a faster CPU, but a slower GPU than the PS4 Pro. That might make it seem faster overall, as having a faster CPU can allow fast refresh rates easily enough, but you will be limited to 1080p type resolutions for years. And the Switch already feels faster than the PS4 imo because it uses flash storage. You can get a 500GB SD card for $50 that is absolutely microscopically tiny compared to a traditional hard drive and so it isn't really even worth arguing with you about that.

Cobretti2 said:
Nu-13 said:

Bolded part, just want to point out that the Switch at what like 300Gflops or whatever gets ports of games running at lets call it 5x that many on PS4/X1. So to say Switch 2 won't be able to get ports because there will be a power difference doesn't hold water, unless you think for some reason Nintendo won't make a Switch 2 that much stronger than the Switch, but why would you think that in the first place, you think they aren't gonna upgrade their offering much after 6 years? Switch 2 should be as capable of getting PS5/XSeries ports roughly as well as Switch is of getting PS4/X1 ports. Now of course that isn't great, we all wish 3rd parties would spend the time to port more games. And ideally Switch 2 will close the power gap a bit so it can get more than the occasional port, with like half the ports being shitty jobs haha.

Also, something that no one has mentioned I think. Microsoft is also supposed to launch of much less powered Series S. The Switch 2 will probably be fairly close to the Series S in graphical capabilities. If third parties need to make games run well on the Series S it isn't gonna be much harder to make them run well on the Switch 2.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 03 January 2020

Alistair said:
JRPGfan said:

Try reading next time? I clearly said the PS4 "FOUR" CPU, and the current gen, and you are comparing with the PS5 instead... This is why people don't bother to discuss the Switch's power with people, there's a bunch of people who just rant lopsidedly without even reading what's on the page or thinking at all.

The current Switch has a weak CPU and GPU (it's a $30 mobile chip, not a desktop or home console class chip). However, current cellphone ARM CPUs (which will be 6 years newer than the 2014 CPU from the Galaxy Note 4 that is in the Switch) are much faster than the PS4 Pro's CPU. Both the Snapdragon 855, and even more so the iPad Pro's CPU are faster than the PS4. The GPU however is quite a bit slower as the GPU uses up most of the "power" or "thermal" budget in a console, and can't be fit in a mobile device at this time. (though they are getting closer, I think the PS4 itself is in reach for the next iPad Pro).

So as I said, a future Switch could easily have a faster CPU, but a slower GPU than the PS4 Pro. That might make it seem faster overall, as having a faster CPU can allow fast refresh rates easily enough, but you will be limited to 1080p type resolutions for years. And the Switch already feels faster than the PS4 imo because it uses flash storage. You can get a 500GB SD card for $50 that is absolutely microscopically tiny compared to a traditional hard drive and so it isn't really even worth arguing with you about that.

It will have both a better cpu and gpu + more ram.

I'd say Switch 2 will have faster CPU than PS4 Pro, certainly more RAM, and a bit worse GPU though close enough that it won't make much of a difference (I mean PS4 and X1 have like have a half-tflop difference and its not like that made a difference in what games they could run). Overall I expect a PS4-like performance in docked mode and something less than that in portable, though in portable that'll be offset by the fact that games will be running probably in much lower res since its a tiny screen. PS4 Pro only came out what like 3 years before PS5/XSeries are launching, so it is certainly reasonable to think that PS5/XSeries games can be ported to PS4 Pro with some graphical adjustments, and therefore the same with PS5/XSeries ports to Switch 2, even if Switch 2 is slightly less performant overall than PS4 Pro.

Slownenberg said:
Cobretti2 said:

Bolded part, just want to point out that the Switch at what like 300Gflops or whatever gets ports of games running at lets call it 5x that many on PS4/X1. So to say Switch 2 won't be able to get ports because there will be a power difference doesn't hold water, unless you think for some reason Nintendo won't make a Switch 2 that much stronger than the Switch, but why would you think that in the first place, you think they aren't gonna upgrade their offering much after 6 years? Switch 2 should be as capable of getting PS5/XSeries ports roughly as well as Switch is of getting PS4/X1 ports. Now of course that isn't great, we all wish 3rd parties would spend the time to port more games. And ideally Switch 2 will close the power gap a bit so it can get more than the occasional port, with like half the ports being shitty jobs haha.

Also, something that no one has mentioned I think. Microsoft is also supposed to launch of much less powered Series S. The Switch 2 will probably be fairly close to the Series S in graphical capabilities. If third parties need to make games run well on the Series S it isn't gonna be much harder to make them run well on the Switch 2.

That is exactly what I think, if people saying it will come out in 2022. I just haven't seen anything on on Nvidia's road map to suggest otherwise. Xavier in 10Watt form is only 0.8TFLOPs. Orin will come out in 2022 and run at 65Watts.

As for my magic sauce comment, if this was anywhere close to true, AMD would long be dad and killed off by NVIDIA. As JRPGfan indicated through the forumlas, it is closer to 25% gain then the double people are claiming.

Now Nintendo could be working on a secret custom chip from the ground up, I don't know but that would be very expensive to do. 

I ain't saying that ports won't be possible, it is that if they do port, the game will essentially be different do to the raw power gap. 

Big publishers want quick and easy cash. If they can't port it within a month of just some simple code changes it will never happen. I know people don't like to talk about EA and Activision, but for mass market they are big and people play their games. The fact that these two haven't really provided proper support to Switch and the Switch has outsold the XBOX then clearly the gap for them is big enough not to bother spending money.

Because I think in 2022 you can' have a significant boost over the original Switch, I think it is pointless releasing a next gen Switch as at the end of the day it is mainly a Nintendo game machine. I don't need better gfx atm, happy with Switch.  Only reason to get a Switch 2 is in the hope it gets more support. May as well extend the life of the Switch as it is selling well atm. No need to rush into the next one

Last edited by Cobretti2 - on 03 January 2020