By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you want in a Switch 2?

Ck1x said:

I don't get why people think that both Sony and Microsoft can use gpu tech not even in current AMD cards(and they are), but Nintendo getting a custom SoC would be too expensive. Nintendo could easily ask Nvidia to use a cut down version of the gtx 1660 with 4 -A76 cpu cores. It will definitely cost more than the current X1, but those cards are currently under $200 and I'm positive that's not what Nintendo would remotely pay for them.

I definitely get that Flops aren't the whole story, but they are the new measuring stick for gamers to have an idea of the systems capability. Many years ago people were impressed with pps(polygons per second) and now its Tflops... 

Not that simple I am afraid.

Ck1x said:

Keeping expectations in check is fine, as I don't think many of our list are out of the norm of reality. (What Nintendo chooses to do is another factor all together  though)

If you asked me years ago I would totally say that Nintendo is a company that just doesn't care about specs at all anymore. But after them making a game like BoTW which cleary could benefit from a system with higher specifications. They know that sacrifices had to be made because of hardware limitations even for a launch game. They have also shown a much greater interest in receiving 3rd party games like they have never publicly shown before.

Breath of the Wild is a game built with the Nintendo WiiU's hardware in mind, the Switch version of the game didn't really improve the visuals substantially outside of a boost to resolution when they could have done allot more.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Ck1x said:

I don't get why people think that both Sony and Microsoft can use gpu tech not even in current AMD cards(and they are), but Nintendo getting a custom SoC would be too expensive. Nintendo could easily ask Nvidia to use a cut down version of the gtx 1660 with 4 -A76 cpu cores. It will definitely cost more than the current X1, but those cards are currently under $200 and I'm positive that's not what Nintendo would remotely pay for them.

I definitely get that Flops aren't the whole story, but they are the new measuring stick for gamers to have an idea of the systems capability. Many years ago people were impressed with pps(polygons per second) and now its Tflops... 

Not that simple I am afraid.

Ck1x said:

Keeping expectations in check is fine, as I don't think many of our list are out of the norm of reality. (What Nintendo chooses to do is another factor all together  though)

If you asked me years ago I would totally say that Nintendo is a company that just doesn't care about specs at all anymore. But after them making a game like BoTW which cleary could benefit from a system with higher specifications. They know that sacrifices had to be made because of hardware limitations even for a launch game. They have also shown a much greater interest in receiving 3rd party games like they have never publicly shown before.

Breath of the Wild is a game built with the Nintendo WiiU's hardware in mind, the Switch version of the game didn't really improve the visuals substantially outside of a boost to resolution when they could have done allot more.

I get that its not that simple as there are many other factors which could determine how much power they can actually put into such a small form factor. They would definitely have to come up with an aggressive active cooling solution especially for a docked mode trying to push closer to a PS4 Pro spec.

I brought up BoTW because Nintendo decided to create an elaborate physics engine for this game that brings the whole game world to life and together. They no doubt have many other ideas that im sure they would like to capitalize on sooner rather than later and the current Switch would hinder much of that creativity as it currently is. 

Nu-13 said:
Cobretti2 said:

That is exactly what I think, if people saying it will come out in 2022. I just haven't seen anything on on Nvidia's road map to suggest otherwise. Xavier in 10Watt form is only 0.8TFLOPs. Orin will come out in 2022 and run at 65Watts.

As for my magic sauce comment, if this was anywhere close to true, AMD would long be dad and killed off by NVIDIA. As JRPGfan indicated through the forumlas, it is closer to 25% gain then the double people are claiming.

Now Nintendo could be working on a secret custom chip from the ground up, I don't know but that would be very expensive to do. 

I ain't saying that ports won't be possible, it is that if they do port, the game will essentially be different do to the raw power gap. 

Big publishers want quick and easy cash. If they can't port it within a month of just some simple code changes it will never happen. I know people don't like to talk about EA and Activision, but for mass market they are big and people play their games. The fact that these two haven't really provided proper support to Switch and the Switch has outsold the XBOX then clearly the gap for them is big enough not to bother spending money.

Because I think in 2022 you can' have a significant boost over the original Switch, I think it is pointless releasing a next gen Switch as at the end of the day it is mainly a Nintendo game machine. I don't need better gfx atm, happy with Switch.  Only reason to get a Switch 2 is in the hope it gets more support. May as well extend the life of the Switch as it is selling well atm. No need to rush into the next one

That's like saying in 2017 that you couldn't see ps5 and xsx being much more poweful than their predecessors. There is no magic sauce, you simply need to stop looking at just flops and ignoring everything else. Nvidia and amd build their gpus differently and nvidia edges then out with more performance over it's amd counterparts. Quoting pemalite "Flops across AMD and nVidia are identical, they are the same math. But the flops people throw around on forums are theoretical numbers which don't take into account any other part of the GPU."

3rd parties don't bother if they can't make a port within ONE MONTH? How did you make that up? Anyway, You keep saying you don't see a 2022 console having a significant boost over the switch but also keep ignoring that nvidia is about to make the jump to 7nm gpus. They also have a long term partnership with nintendo, so they will certainly develop a mobile gpu that fits nintendo's needs for the switch 2.

Actually you could. Because AMD had a road map (as did Nvidia) for their gaming GPUs that showed exactly where they were heading.

All we got with the mobile counter parts is history based on the jumps between previous models and that Orin the next schedule thing is going to run at 65Watts or so. Therefore, Nintendo would have a custom thing based on that to run at a reduced power of 30Watts for docked mode and maybe 10Wattts for undocked.

How did I come up with a month? Well you see back in the early days when developers use to say how easy it is porting between PS4 and XBOX, how within weeks their games were running and complete.  With switch they always stressed on the fact that "more effort" had to be put in to get something to run.

Now you think if publishers were happy for "more effort" to be applied into porting games we would not have way better 3rd party support on Switch?

That is why I keep saying if there is no evidence suggesting that a Switch 2 will be close to PS5 (to allow easy porting), there really is no point Nintendo rushing out with it when Switch is still selling so well. Especially with Wii U failing you may as well ride the wave that is Switch and keep developing Switch 2 as hardware alone isn't the only improvements Nintendo needs  to make.  OS, GUI, functionality needs to be drastically improved. In some respect the Switch feels backwards to WiiU as they rushed it out and still haven't really done major improvements to the software of the console.

Cobretti2 said:
Nu-13 said:

That's like saying in 2017 that you couldn't see ps5 and xsx being much more poweful than their predecessors. There is no magic sauce, you simply need to stop looking at just flops and ignoring everything else. Nvidia and amd build their gpus differently and nvidia edges then out with more performance over it's amd counterparts. Quoting pemalite "Flops across AMD and nVidia are identical, they are the same math. But the flops people throw around on forums are theoretical numbers which don't take into account any other part of the GPU."

3rd parties don't bother if they can't make a port within ONE MONTH? How did you make that up? Anyway, You keep saying you don't see a 2022 console having a significant boost over the switch but also keep ignoring that nvidia is about to make the jump to 7nm gpus. They also have a long term partnership with nintendo, so they will certainly develop a mobile gpu that fits nintendo's needs for the switch 2.

Actually you could. Because AMD had a road map (as did Nvidia) for their gaming GPUs that showed exactly where they were heading.

All we got with the mobile counter parts is history based on the jumps between previous models and that Orin the next schedule thing is going to run at 65Watts or so. Therefore, Nintendo would have a custom thing based on that to run at a reduced power of 30Watts for docked mode and maybe 10Wattts for undocked.

How did I come up with a month? Well you see back in the early days when developers use to say how easy it is porting between PS4 and XBOX, how within weeks their games were running and complete.  With switch they always stressed on the fact that "more effort" had to be put in to get something to run.

Now you think if publishers were happy for "more effort" to be applied into porting games we would not have way better 3rd party support on Switch?

That is why I keep saying if there is no evidence suggesting that a Switch 2 will be close to PS5 (to allow easy porting), there really is no point Nintendo rushing out with it when Switch is still selling so well. Especially with Wii U failing you may as well ride the wave that is Switch and keep developing Switch 2 as hardware alone isn't the only improvements Nintendo needs  to make.  OS, GUI, functionality needs to be drastically improved. In some respect the Switch feels backwards to WiiU as they rushed it out and still haven't really done major improvements to the software of the console.

I definitely think that Switch's issues of needing more development time is directly related to it needing better Arm CPU cores and being starved for memory bandwidth and not having enough RAM. The extra time goes into developers getting creative with how to scale down and cram these games into the Switch's bottleneck X1 set-up.(like squeezing a 4 lane highway down to only 2 lanes, its possible but it will instantly cause congestion)

Last edited by Ck1x - on 04 January 2020

Cobretti2 said:
Slownenberg said:

Bolded part, just want to point out that the Switch at what like 300Gflops or whatever gets ports of games running at lets call it 5x that many on PS4/X1. So to say Switch 2 won't be able to get ports because there will be a power difference doesn't hold water, unless you think for some reason Nintendo won't make a Switch 2 that much stronger than the Switch, but why would you think that in the first place, you think they aren't gonna upgrade their offering much after 6 years? Switch 2 should be as capable of getting PS5/XSeries ports roughly as well as Switch is of getting PS4/X1 ports. Now of course that isn't great, we all wish 3rd parties would spend the time to port more games. And ideally Switch 2 will close the power gap a bit so it can get more than the occasional port, with like half the ports being shitty jobs haha.

Also, something that no one has mentioned I think. Microsoft is also supposed to launch of much less powered Series S. The Switch 2 will probably be fairly close to the Series S in graphical capabilities. If third parties need to make games run well on the Series S it isn't gonna be much harder to make them run well on the Switch 2.

That is exactly what I think, if people saying it will come out in 2022. I just haven't seen anything on on Nvidia's road map to suggest otherwise. Xavier in 10Watt form is only 0.8TFLOPs. Orin will come out in 2022 and run at 65Watts.

As for my magic sauce comment, if this was anywhere close to true, AMD would long be dad and killed off by NVIDIA. As JRPGfan indicated through the forumlas, it is closer to 25% gain then the double people are claiming.

Now Nintendo could be working on a secret custom chip from the ground up, I don't know but that would be very expensive to do. 

I ain't saying that ports won't be possible, it is that if they do port, the game will essentially be different do to the raw power gap. 

Big publishers want quick and easy cash. If they can't port it within a month of just some simple code changes it will never happen. I know people don't like to talk about EA and Activision, but for mass market they are big and people play their games. The fact that these two haven't really provided proper support to Switch and the Switch has outsold the XBOX then clearly the gap for them is big enough not to bother spending money.

Because I think in 2022 you can' have a significant boost over the original Switch, I think it is pointless releasing a next gen Switch as at the end of the day it is mainly a Nintendo game machine. I don't need better gfx atm, happy with Switch.  Only reason to get a Switch 2 is in the hope it gets more support. May as well extend the life of the Switch as it is selling well atm. No need to rush into the next one

From here: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/301531-nvidias-new-jetson-xavier-nx-adds-horsepower-to-ai-at-the-edge
The jetson xavier NX is capable of 6 TFLOPS FP16 at 15W.
Scaling to FP32 and to 10W (linearly), it would be capable of 3 FP32 TFLOPS at 15W, and 2 TFLOPS at 10W.

Unless I am loosing something, and it do not scale linearly...

Around the Network

Powerful enough to run all PS4/XB1 tier games with ease, that should be a no brainer, but I would like to have performance that can accomodate even PS5/XB2 ports at 720p-900p.

The Switch really actually was not that far off from running PS4/XB1 titles as the Witcher 3 port illustrates (and the overclocking hacked Switch's show Nintendo had more power there that they could have tapped into). And there's far less overhead for the current Switch-PS4 ports because PS4 ports run at 1080p while on Switch they maybe can do as low as 540p undocked/720p docked. But for PS5/XB2 they're gonna have to run at 4K, which is quite a lot of their resources being eaten up by having to render that many more pixels.

I'd like Switch 2 to make ports like that easier, thus inviting more developers to try.

To that end I'd reccomend a new performance profile for undocked ... overclock mode that lets you run docked performance undocked if you have a battery pack.

Because really the reason the Switch has to cripple it's performance so much is because of the undocked mode running off a tiny battery. But extra battery's today are dirt cheap (one can get a 5000 MaH, doubling the Switch's battery life for like $15).

Even people who have modded Switches have tested overclocked performance undocked and the system doesn't get hot enough that its uncomfortable to hold undocked. It's just you have less battery life basically.

jonathanalis said:
Cobretti2 said:

From here: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/301531-nvidias-new-jetson-xavier-nx-adds-horsepower-to-ai-at-the-edge
Scaling to FP32 and to 10W (linearly), it would be capable of 3 FP32 TFLOPS at 15W, and 2 TFLOPS at 10W.

Xavier is gonna be old ass tech too by 2022. Xavier is 16nm I believe, Switch 2 chip will likely be 7nm Turing based, that's going to be far more efficient and able to hit better performance per watt. 

Still I mean that means at FP32, that 16nm Xavier NX is hitting 2 TFLOPS at at only 10 watts, that's better performance than a PS4 for only 10 watts is quite impressive. Keeping in mind too that a lot of people consider Nvidia FLOPS to be greater than AMD's listing, so 2 TFLOP Nvidia part may be more equivalent to like a 2.5 TFLOP AMD old processor, so that could be a good deal better than a PS4 as is at 10 watts. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 06 January 2020

Soundwave said:

Xavier is gonna be old ass tech too by 2022. Xavier is 16nm I believe, Switch 2 chip will likely be 7nm Turing based, that's going to be far more efficient and able to hit better performance per watt. 

Still I mean that means at FP32, that 16nm Xavier NX is hitting 2 TFLOPS at at only 10 watts, that's better performance than a PS4 for only 10 watts is quite impressive. Keeping in mind too that a lot of people consider Nvidia FLOPS to be greater than AMD's listing, so 2 TFLOP Nvidia part may be more equivalent to like a 2.5 TFLOP AMD old processor, so that could be a good deal better than a PS4 as is at 10 watts. 

What makes nVidia flops different or better than AMD's?

Xavier is built at 12nm, not 16nm.

The 12nm process is based on 14nm anyway, which in turn is based upon 20nm which it retains for it's BEOL.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Soundwave said:

What makes nVidia flops different or better than AMD's?

Xavier is built at 12nm, not 16nm.

The 12nm process is based on 14nm anyway, which in turn is based upon 20nm which it retains for it's BEOL.

Even so a 7nm Turing based chip is going to be a significant improvement from that. 

The FLOP Nvidia/AMD thing I think stems from AMD GPUs underperforming against Nvidia processors while claiming the same FLOPS or even more in some cases. They're saying this too with regards to the PS5 leaks, that that's 9TFLOPS or whatever relative to a Nvidia GPU like a 2080, but those flops are greater than 9TFLOPS of AMD GCN part (PS4 era). 

jonathanalis said:
Cobretti2 said:

That is interesting. may need to do more checking up on this.

Wiki been saying 0.8TFLOPS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Xavier

I assumed it was right as the X1 switch has is right.