By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you want in a Switch 2?

Doctor_MG said:
JRPGfan said:

It changes based on newer/better technologies and designs.
And it even varies from card to card (with same arch), depending on how balanced the card is.

But yes, if Nvidia used the same technology, it did in the Switch, for the Switch 2.... it would be to be around 3,4 Tflops, to match the GPU compute the PS4pro can do. (3,4 Tflops x 1.24 = 4,2 Tflops of the PS4pro)

The current Switch is 393 Gflops docked.
To go from 393 Gflops to 3,4 Tflops is a jump of about 8,6x.

Thats just not gonna happend imo.
Its not possible at all, in handheld form.

Why not? An 8x jump in power would be fine for a hardware generation. The Xbox One will supposedly go from 1.3 TFLOPS to 12TFLOPS, which is a 9.2x increase in power based on TFLOPS alone. The PS3 to the PS4 was a 8x increase in power. Heck, Sony claimed that the PS3 was a 40x increase over the PS2 in processing power. I'm not sure why you are thinking it's impossible three years from now. 

"thinking" is the wrong word. We all know an 8x jump is very much expected for the switch 2.

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:
JRPGfan said:

It changes based on newer/better technologies and designs.
And it even varies from card to card (with same arch), depending on how balanced the card is.

But yes, if Nvidia used the same technology, it did in the Switch, for the Switch 2.... it would be to be around 3,4 Tflops, to match the GPU compute the PS4pro can do. (3,4 Tflops x 1.24 = 4,2 Tflops of the PS4pro)

The current Switch is 393 Gflops docked.
To go from 393 Gflops to 3,4 Tflops is a jump of about 8,6x.

Thats just not gonna happend imo.
Its not possible at all, in handheld form.

Why not? An 8x jump in power would be fine for a hardware generation. The Xbox One will supposedly go from 1.3 TFLOPS to 12TFLOPS, which is a 9.2x increase in power based on TFLOPS alone. The PS3 to the PS4 was a 8x increase in power. Heck, Sony claimed that the PS3 was a 40x increase over the PS2 in processing power. I'm not sure why you are thinking it's impossible three years from now. 

^ this is actually the best argument in the entire thread, that it might be possible to get such a strong Switch 2.

I personally dont think thats how things will turn out, but I'll accept that arguement for your thinking otherwise.
A bleeding edge, expensive Switch 2, launches and is around PS4pro level... I just dont see it.

*edit:  If in 2021-2023, your right, when the Switch 2 launches, feel free to necrobump this thread, and give me a big "I told you so" post.

First of all, I don't want a Switch 2 anytime soon. I'd like 3 more years with this system. Plus, as others have noted, a new Switch model now would not be that much of a leap over the original. We've got the newer model with better battery life, but getting significantly better performance to compete with the PS5 is still a long way off. In 2023 or later we'd be much more likely to get a system that is a true generational leap over the current Switch model than we are now.

Nu-13 said:
Cobretti2 said:

I cant see it because they have to pack 3.2 tflops (based on the formula JRPGfan posted) into 10W. This is just to get PS4pro games running

The issue I have is PS5/XBSX will be so far ahead that it won't be worth a 3rd party porting a game, with JRPGfan confirmed. Therefore Nintendo will need 3rd parties maing exclusives for the system

Can they port PS4 games? probably but who wants to play something they played 5 years ago again?

So my question is valid, how will Nintendo bridge the raw power gap quick enough between each generation using the switch portable console approach?  Switch 2 with a Xavier chipset will not even come close to PS5/XBSX.

Unless Nintendo and Nvidia start planning for the future and find some way, the gap will keep increasing between each gen.

This is why I cannot see Switch lasting more than two generations. Eventually Nintendo will have to do a full blown console to match the power. Or they will have to concede that their console is a handheld device that connects to a TV and any games we get on it won't be what traditional consoles and PC gamers get from 3rd parties. 

Ps4pro has no games. jrpgfan confirmed absolutely nothing. Put this in your head: THE. SWITCH. 2. IS. NOT. GOING. TO. USE. XAVIER. It's gpu is yet to be released. But speaking of xavier as a base, this new gpu only needs a little over 2x more performance than it to be in between ps4 pro and x1x GPU (closer to or even matching the latter). An easy task for something coming years later and with a die shrink.

The last paragraph is so much I don't even know how to begin. I don't know where all this misinformation coming since the situation is the opposite of what you say. The gap between mobile and stationary chipsets is either decreasing or stationary, not increasing. The switch is way more capable than a ps3 or x360 in every department, so why this denial about the switch 2 not doing the same compared to a ps4?

I don't want the Switch 2 to be close to PS4 level. I want it to be closer to PS5 level. This is what I am talking about the huge raw power difference. 

By the time Switch 2 comes out PS5 would have been on the market how long? Switch ain't getting any ports from PS5 if it is barely scratching PS4 level.

Developers do not want to spend too much time porting games. If they have to ut in effort to downgrade a PS5 game to work on Switch 2, then they will not do it.

Cobretti2 said:
Nu-13 said:

Ps4pro has no games. jrpgfan confirmed absolutely nothing. Put this in your head: THE. SWITCH. 2. IS. NOT. GOING. TO. USE. XAVIER. It's gpu is yet to be released. But speaking of xavier as a base, this new gpu only needs a little over 2x more performance than it to be in between ps4 pro and x1x GPU (closer to or even matching the latter). An easy task for something coming years later and with a die shrink.

The last paragraph is so much I don't even know how to begin. I don't know where all this misinformation coming since the situation is the opposite of what you say. The gap between mobile and stationary chipsets is either decreasing or stationary, not increasing. The switch is way more capable than a ps3 or x360 in every department, so why this denial about the switch 2 not doing the same compared to a ps4?

I don't want the Switch 2 to be close to PS4 level. I want it to be closer to PS5 level. This is what I am talking about the huge raw power difference. 

By the time Switch 2 comes out PS5 would have been on the market how long? Switch ain't getting any ports from PS5 if it is barely scratching PS4 level.

Developers do not want to spend too much time porting games. If they have to ut in effort to downgrade a PS5 game to work on Switch 2, then they will not do it.

Where is all this coming from? The ps5 will have been on the market for two years when the switch 2 comes out. 2 far slower first years than ps4. If devs will port games or not it will have nothing to do with hardware, like in the past.

Around the Network

Bluetooth audio, if a new SKU actually happens

Nu-13 said:
Cobretti2 said:

Where is all this coming from? The ps5 will have been on the market for two years when the switch 2 comes out. 2 far slower first years than ps4. If devs will port games or not it will have nothing to do with hardware, like in the past.

I don't know how much simpler I can say it.

If hardware is better and closer to the competition and porting is easy, then you will get more new games ported.

If hardware is not close to competition, you get some games, mainly older games that people have already played.

When EA and Activision are not releasing games on your system you know the gap is too big. And no I am not counting fifa games from PS3 rebranded as "modern" fifa games

Cobretti2 said:
Nu-13 said:

If hardware is better and closer to the competition and porting is easy, then you will get more new games ported.

If hardware is not close to competition, you get some games, mainly older games that people have already played.

When EA and Activision are not releasing games on your system you know the gap is too big. And no I am not counting fifa games from PS3 rebranded as "modern" fifa games

lmao EA and activision are some of the worst examples you could use. Anyway, I don't know how much simpler I can say it: The switch is a lot more powerful than the ps3 and x360. The switch 2 will be a lot more powerful than a ps4. The gap is most likely going to be even smaller when compared to ps5 and the switch already has all the hardware it needs for ports. So no excuses in that regard.

Nu-13 said:
Cobretti2 said:

lmao EA and activision are some of the worst examples you could use. Anyway, I don't know how much simpler I can say it: The switch is a lot more powerful than the ps3 and x360. The switch 2 will be a lot more powerful than a ps4. The gap is most likely going to be even smaller when compared to ps5 and the switch already has all the hardware it needs for ports. So no excuses in that regard.

Why are you contently talking about the PS4?  Switch 2 will be competing with PS5/XBSX

i use EA and Activision as an example because they make games for "mass market". If they can't be fucked porting a game to Switch t means it is too much effort to port it.

If it cost them peanuts to port they would be porting. The Switch has sold more than xbox one, yet xbox one still gets multi platform games because it is easy to port.

Here is another angle

When are you expecting the Switch 2 to come out? how many TFLOPs do you think Nvidia will be able to fit in for 10Watts of power by that release date? I just can't see anything on the horizon that will bridge the game in that time frame, considering we have gone from X1 which is 0.6 or so TFLOPs to Xavier being 0.8TFLOPs @ 10Watts / 1.4TFLOPS @30Watts (for automotive applications) in all this time so far.

Orin is rumored to be 65Watts and that isn't due till 2022.

Cobretti2 said:
Nu-13 said:

Why are you contently talking about the PS4?  Switch 2 will be competing with PS5/XBSX

i use EA and Activision as an example because they make games for "mass market". If they can't be fucked porting a game to Switch t means it is too much effort to port it.

If it cost them peanuts to port they would be porting. The Switch has sold more than xbox one, yet xbox one still gets multi platform games because it is easy to port.

Here is another angle

When are you expecting the Switch 2 to come out? how many TFLOPs do you think Nvidia will be able to fit in for 10Watts of power by that release date? I just can't see anything on the horizon that will bridge the game in that time frame, considering we have gone from X1 which is 0.6 or so TFLOPs to Xavier being 0.8TFLOPs @ 10Watts / 1.4TFLOPS @30Watts (for automotive applications) in all this time so far.

Orin is rumored to be 65Watts and that isn't due till 2022.

The hell is that first sentence supposed to mean? The switch 2 will be quite more capable than a ps4 and thus have no trouble getting multiplats with ps5/xsx. I already said many times I expect a switch 2 in holidays 2022.

Stop talking about effing flops. Nintendo will use whatever 7-8nm gpu is in the making from nvidia that fits their budget/power consumption plan. Just like they did with the switch.