By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you want in a Switch 2?

shikamaru317 said:
Leynos said:

Pretty sure Ampere will release in 2020.

Ampere is the next generation of Nvidia’s desktop graphics. Switch 2 will not be using desktop graphics, I can assure you of that. Nintendo needs a chip that only uses about 10 watts for handheld play, which means they either have to use an Nvidia Tegra chip, or go with another mobile chip supplier like Qualcomm, at the cost of backwards compatibility with Switch 1 games.

Now I suppose they could contract Nvidia to build a custom Tegra chip which uses Ampere graphics cores, but that would be very expensive, likely out of the budget for a $300-350 system in 2022. Maybe in 2023 if they decide to wait that long, but I doubt they will.

They likely will. It won't be Xavier. Xavier is not designed for gaming at all. Doesn't support a lot of modern feature sets. Nvidia likely will make a chip based on Ampere like X1 was based on Maxwell and X2 on Pascal.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Pemalite said:

Flops is irrelevant.
Switch = Maxwell.
Playstation 4 = Graphics Core Next.

A GTX 960 based on Maxwell with 2.36 Teraflops of single precision floating point capability...
Is able to beat a Radeon 7970 with 3.78 Teraflops of single precision floating point capability.

That is a 60% flop advantage to the 7970.

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1722?vs=1744

Bandwidth is irrellevent as well.

The GTX 960 has 112GB/s verses the 7970's 264GB/s or 135% more bandwidth.

In your ideal fantasy world a GPU with 60% more flops and 135% more bandwidth should win, right? I mean... Right?

Well, the 7970 does win the fight: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-960-vs-AMD-HD-7970/3165vs2163

His point was it was more than 20 % in this case.
However flop effeciency while Archetecture dependent, is also card dependent.
Which he completely ignored.

He probably found one of the most extreme cases, when he compaired the 960 to the 7970.

Anyways its not always this big a differnce.

Ultimately it comes down to core design, of the graphics unit.
AMD leans way to heavy on the non purely- gameing related stuff, like gpu-compute.
Which does little for them (imo), I wish they would make slimmer design, thats more gameing focused like nvidia uses.

And yes, the 7970 didnt use colour compression, ect.
AMD was late to the party with that stuff.
(again this is probably one of the more extreme cases, of flop to flop)

All of this is slightly off topic though guys......

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 01 January 2020

JRPGfan said:
Doctor_MG said:

Base PS4 while docked? You don't think that technology is going to improve much in the next four years at all?  

Nintendo never uses bleeding edge technology.
So now... I think 4 years from now, what you ll see in a Switch 2, is the best of whats possible "now".

Even if nintendo did go for the newest new thing, I doubt what you believe "ps4pro" level, is possible even then.
So No technology isnt going to magically start improveing at rates we havent seen before, just to make that possible.

Basically PS4pro level is wishfull thinking, that wont happend.
Unless Switch 2, isnt a handheld anymore.

If nintendo goes back to just a console sitting under the tv, it could be a 100+ watt useing monster, that could be 9-12 Tflops too.
If Nintendo wants to keep the Switch concept, and have it use like 8-10watts in handheld mode, and ~20-25 docked, then thats just not possible no.

Cobretti2 said:

The problem Nintendo has is the Wii U failure caused them to release the Switch early.  They are so far behind in power atm (especially once next gen comes out) they have to somehow right the wave of the Switch longer than normally they would and hope mobile tech catches up to at least PS4 (ideally pro) level in handheld mode somehow within 10W of power usage.

If they release Switch 2 early I cannot see it being adopted much. They need to somehow bridge the gap or this gap will just continue to widen each generation. Then at that point there will be no multiplatform games. May as well be all Nintendo exclusives.

When the Playstation 5 comes out at 9,2 Tflops, theres probably gonna be like a 25 times power differnce, between it and the base Switch model.

25 : 1  (likely higher, in actual performance differnce delta)

Thats a ratio that means, the Switch likely wont get any multplat game, thats made to run on a PS5 (or XBSX).

Waiting to move on, isnt going fix anything.
Ideally Nintendo doesnt want Sony or Microsoft consoles to be more than 10 times its power, if it wants to keep multiplats imo.

Which means the ideal time to launch a Switch 2, is 2021-2022.

Honestly, thats bad reasoning. And I'm sure you know this. You are intentionally trying to hamstring what is possible in order to argue your point.

2017 Switch had a 2015 chip. And this was coming off Wii U's massive failure in which they didn't make much money the past few years and they had to release a new system quite early. And yet you think the Switch 2 will use 4 year old technology compared to the Switch's 2 year old tech?? Obviously you are being disingenuous here.

Yeah, a 2023 Switch 2 isn't gonna release with a chip that comes out in late 2022, sure, but its also not gonna have a chip from 2019! It is perfectly reasonable to expect it to contain a chip that releases about two years from today, which will have significant advances over what is available now. Beyond teraflops, the next Switch will have other advances in tech that have taken place in the 10 years (at that point) since PS4 released which will give it a leg up. So it is perfectly reasonable to expect the portable mode to at least be on par graphically with a base PS4, and docked mode with let's say using twice as many watts similar to PS4 Pro. It might not have the exact same teraflops, but it will probably use a chip that gets the same performance with a lower raw number, and have some other areas with better specs (for instance, certainly it'll have more RAM available for games than a PS4 Pro does). Overall it is reasonable to expect roughly PS4 Pro type performance when docked.

Also the idea that Nintendo needs to kill the massively successful Switch early to release a Switch 2 just because other systems are coming out is absurd. Switch already doesn't really get many brand new big multiplat releases. They are very few and far between. So the situation won't change a whole lot when the new systems come out. People aren't buying the Switch for the handful of multiplat games that run better on home consoles. Sure it is nice when one does come the Switch's way every once in a while, and we'd all like that to happen more often, and it could happen more often it is really just a decision by most third parties that don't bother with porting it and dealing with the effort to get the games running well on Nintendo's portable. Also releasing an early Switch 2 means it wouldn't be strong enough to get any multiplats from the new systems either, so it'd be completely pointless for that reason.

Allowing the Switch to have a full and very successful lifespan, and then launching a Switch 2 in 2023 that can run at around PS4 Pro performance levels, at least when docked, and therefore get some PS4/XboxSeries multiplat games like the Switch gets from this gen, though hopefully more than the Switch has been getting, is the only thing that makes sense.

Cobretti2 said:
super_etecoon said:
I must be the only one that doesn't care at all about power. The Switch is a beast. It gives me everything I want from games. All I want is more iterations from my favorite franchises. I want an environment where developers don't have to completely retool their minds and workstations to get their ideas on the screen. I want to see the evolution of gameplay, not graphics. The Switch is poised to deliver on this already and I want the transition to the Switch to the Switch 2 to be as seamless as possible for those involved in blowing our minds with new ways to play inside the worlds they create, and first and foremost that has almost nothing to do with Flops and GPUs and whatever else we're using these days to measure ourselves.

The issue is their competition is steaming so far ahead that the Nintendo console becomes a separate universe. Which means that multiplatform gave will be non existent. 

If Nintendo can convince 3rd parties to support them with exclusives by all means power does not matter.

If they cannot, power is a factor.

Yeah, a main reason to push the power is so that, despite being a portable, Nintendo can still get some big multiplat games. As a Nintendo gamer, I always want more multiplat games. More games and more game variety is always better. Luckily Nintendo is now able to make portable systems that are strong enough to deliver console level games, and can therefore run console games (with appropriate graphical downgrades), but unfortunately most third parties still don't bother doing the work to bring those games to Nintendo's systems. Though I think this will be at least a little better with the Switch 2, because the Switch came after two gens of leading third parties away - Wii was the first system to be well underpowered compared to competitors and used motion controls so it was very different, then the Wii U was a massive failure, so with the Switch's success plus a normal control scheme hopefully third parties will be more onboard by the time Switch 2 rolls around.

Also more power enables better experiences. It may or may not make the games themselves better, but it can be used to make more engrossing environments in which you play, make games run more smoothly, create bigger experiences on-screen, etc. For example, in many ways BotW is better and technically more impressive than Horizon Zero Dawn, but Horizon's environments are absolutely lush while BotW went with an open plains style because the Switch wouldn't be able to remotely handle BotW with a super lush environment. I'd love to play a BotW-like Zelda game on Switch 2 with the level of environmental detail of Horizon. That's not to say BotW's environment isn't detailed or doesn't look amazing, because it absolutely does and is a gorgeous game, but a lot of it is in the open plains style with a smattering of rocks and trees and other things. A Switch 2 with vastly increased power will deliver a much more impressive environment for Hyrule.

Anyway also obviously the Switch 2 should be more powerful because why would you buy a new system that wasn't a significant upgrade? If you're not gonna do a significant upgrade then there is no point in having a new system. If the Switch gives super_etecoon everything he wants that is great, but then why would he buy a Switch 2 if it doesn't do anything better than the Switch!

The Switch isn't a Switch because it has an HDMI outlet so you can play on a TV, it's a Switch because you can play console level games on a portable or hook it up to a TV. That's the whole appeal and what makes it different than all previous portables: play full console level games at home or on the go. If Switch 2 doesn't keep up with the latest mobile tech so that it can run graphically downgraded but still good and full versions of console games then it will no longer be a Switch but just be a portable that hooks up to a TV.

I love the Switch, I think it is the ultimate gaming system, but for the Switch 2 to maintain that it needs to maintain the power relative to home consoles that the Switch currently has.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Dulfite said:

I about died at Botw 3 haha that's good. I think the only time Zelda ever came close to three games was the Oracle's, with one never being released (though those wouldn't have been 3 linear experiences). Unless we are counting Lttp, four swords, and between world's?

I'd be stunned if they made a botw 3.

Slownenberg said:

Yeah for sure next gen is the time for Nintendo to iterate, not reinvent.

Agree with all the above, but no way there will be BotW 3 haha. After two BotW's the following Zelda game will no doubt be something different.

I'm sure they will make sure to have an incredible launch game after how much BotW helped the Switch's launch. I think Mario Kart 9 is a given for the launch, and either a Zelda or 3D Mario to go with it.

Zelda naming is funny.  The only one named Zelda 2 is actually really different from Zelda 1.  Link to the Past is actually the first "true sequel" because gameplay is a lot like Zelda 1.  Also Majora's Mask, Windwaker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are all basically sequels to Ocarina of Time.  

So basically I mean I want Switch 2 to launch with an open world Zelda that is like BotW.  It can be called something different.

Ah ok i gotcha. Yeah I was just saying they aren't gonna do a third game in the same BotW world because well that would suck. But yeah it is certainly possible they stick with the open world style, as long as they iterate on it a good bit for the Switch 2 game. I'd love an open world Zelda that uses the Switch 2's power to make the world absolutely teeming with life.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Leynos said:

Pretty sure Ampere will release in 2020.

Ampere is the next generation of Nvidia’s desktop graphics. Switch 2 will not be using desktop graphics, I can assure you of that. Nintendo needs a chip that only uses about 10 watts for handheld play, which means they either have to use an Nvidia Tegra chip, or go with another mobile chip supplier like Qualcomm, at the cost of backwards compatibility with Switch 1 games.

Now I suppose they could contract Nvidia to build a custom Tegra chip which uses Ampere graphics cores, but that would be very expensive, likely out of the budget for a $300-350 system in 2022. Maybe in 2023 if they decide to wait that long, but I doubt they will.

I don't know why you are so sure Switch 2 would come out in 2022. 2023 seems far more likely, and would mean there is time to get a later chip. I pretty much think there is no way they will release a new system before 2023. Think about it, Switch is still gaining momentum. It's gonna have about a 20 million sales year this year (better than PS4's best year), and in all likelihood will sell even more next year. In 2021 it should still be selling very strongly (likely a lot better than PS4 did this year, a year before its next system), they're not gonna cut that off with a 2022 release.

I'm assuming they'll do another Spring time release because having two big selling periods in year 1 for the Switch worked really well. So Spring 2023 is the most likely date. Also Nintendo themselves said they want the Switch's lifespan to be longer, which guarantees it'll be no shorter than 6 years. I don't think they'd wait longer than 2023 though because by 2022 they won't be getting any multiplat games anymore since development will have totally switched over to the new gen rather than ps4/one, so to not go too long without any big multiplat games they'll need to release in 2023.

I could see them doing a holiday 2023 release if they need more time to get great launch games ready, which is certainly possible if they want a Zelda or 3D Mario to launch with the system and even if BotW 2 comes out holiday 2020 that'll be a quick turnaround for Zelda, and if there is a second 3D Mario in let's say 2021, that would also be a very quick turnaround to get ready for Spring of 2023. Sometime between March and November 2023 we'll see Switch 2. A Mario Kart 9 + zelda or 3d mario or pokemon launch seems like the best thing to launch with.

So an expected 2023 Switch 2 release should come with a chip from probably 2021, not 2019.

JRPGfan said:
Doctor_MG said:

Well, that might not be available with todays technology, but who knows what might be capable in 3-4 years. The new Tegra Xavier T194 is capable of pushing out 1.4 TFLOPS at FP32 (compared to Switch 384 GFLOPS in FP32 and the X1 chips full clock at 512 GFLOPS). That's almost a 3 times performance increase in four years. Give it another four years and we could potentially have another 3 times performance increase at ~4 TFLOPS. 

Of course TFLOPS don't mean everything, but with the fact that new architectures come easier programming capabilities it is possible that the next Switch could rival the PS4 Pro in terms of raw power. Besides, a 3-4 times increase in power isn't a generational leap. That would only be slightly larger than the jump from Gamecube to Wii, which was around a 2 times increase in terms of power. 

"The new Tegra Xavier T194 is capable of pushing out 1.4 TFLOPS at FP32"

That uses ~30watts of power to do so, which is fine, when docked.
Yes thats more or less what I've been saying.

When docked, a Switch 2 will likely be around where the base PS4 is at now.

How did I miss this post yesterday?

You start by ignoring that xavier is probably already around 40-50% more powerful than the ps4's gpu. And while it isn't something made for a switch form factor, IF a switch like device were to release in 2019 using a downclocked xavier, it would be a little above ps4 when docked and switch in portable mode. And that's what could be done now. Nvidea's next set of mobile gpus should come out in 2021, benefiting from years of technology advancements and a die shrink to 7-8nm (maybe even 6).

shikamaru317 said:
Nu-13 said:

Tegra x1 was not 2 years old when switch came out and was the best they could get on a $299 system. Orin is not a mobile gpu and is too expensive and powerful. If nintendo gets a gpu that's 40-45% as powerful as an orin for Switch 2, it will already match or at least be close to an xbox one x gpu. But it really baffles me that you accept the reality of other consoles having a 5-7x jump but think the switch 2 will only be like 3x more powerful than the switch.

It was nearly 2 years old. The first Tegra X1 device released in May 2015, Switch released in March 2017, so 22 months, or 1 year and 10 months. 

If Switch 2 is a 2022 device as I suspect, Nvidia won't have released a successor to Tegra Xavier yet, which means that Switch 2 will likely use a Tegra Xavier based chipset. So unless Nintendo has them make a custom Xavier chip with more power than the most powerful Xavier chip currently (1.4 tflop) through a die shrink, I doubt that Switch 2 will offer more than a 3x improvement over Switch 1.  

1.5 years then, as the switch was scheduled to release in late 2016 with 2015 tech. This is no different than ps4 and x1 releasing in 2013 with 2012 tech and ps5/xsx coming in 2020 with 2019 tech. Each using what's apropriate for their for factor.

Last edited by Nu-13 - on 01 January 2020

-Less bezels, making it a slimmer product.
-New joycon that is more ergonomic in every mode and more reliable, even if it is bigger. (common, it is possible, I have some ideas). They can also release small joycons for a lite like/portable look.
-backwards compatibility with games. My switch library is just too big and id like to carry over.
-A smaller dock, but that also has trails to charge joycons and has an ethernet input and more USB ports.
-A much higher memory bandwidth, the rest of specs can just double or triple, I think there is no need for more than that.
-VR (not a cardboard one). The new official way to 'switch'.
I have also some crazy ideas like an optional dock for deep learning super sampling to reach 4k with no more power on the console and optional switch version with double size but with foldable screen(like foldable phones)... But they would be too expensive and too niche.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Dulfite said:

I about died at Botw 3 haha that's good. I think the only time Zelda ever came close to three games was the Oracle's, with one never being released (though those wouldn't have been 3 linear experiences). Unless we are counting Lttp, four swords, and between world's?

I'd be stunned if they made a botw 3.

Slownenberg said:

Yeah for sure next gen is the time for Nintendo to iterate, not reinvent.

Agree with all the above, but no way there will be BotW 3 haha. After two BotW's the following Zelda game will no doubt be something different.

I'm sure they will make sure to have an incredible launch game after how much BotW helped the Switch's launch. I think Mario Kart 9 is a given for the launch, and either a Zelda or 3D Mario to go with it.

Zelda naming is funny.  The only one named Zelda 2 is actually really different from Zelda 1.  Link to the Past is actually the first "true sequel" because gameplay is a lot like Zelda 1.  Also Majora's Mask, Windwaker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are all basically sequels to Ocarina of Time.  

So basically I mean I want Switch 2 to launch with an open world Zelda that is like BotW.  It can be called something different.

Oh now I see. Can it have a unique art style as well or does it have to have Botw 1&2 art style?

Dulfite said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Oh now I see. Can it have a unique art style as well or does it have to have Botw 1&2 art style?

Either would be fine.  I think I liked Twilight Princess' art style the best, but BotW's art style was good too.