By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you want in a Switch 2?

JRPGfan said:
Doctor_MG said:

Well, that might not be available with todays technology, but who knows what might be capable in 3-4 years. The new Tegra Xavier T194 is capable of pushing out 1.4 TFLOPS at FP32 (compared to Switch 384 GFLOPS in FP32 and the X1 chips full clock at 512 GFLOPS). That's almost a 3 times performance increase in four years. Give it another four years and we could potentially have another 3 times performance increase at ~4 TFLOPS. 

Of course TFLOPS don't mean everything, but with the fact that new architectures come easier programming capabilities it is possible that the next Switch could rival the PS4 Pro in terms of raw power. Besides, a 3-4 times increase in power isn't a generational leap. That would only be slightly larger than the jump from Gamecube to Wii, which was around a 2 times increase in terms of power. 

"The new Tegra Xavier T194 is capable of pushing out 1.4 TFLOPS at FP32"

That uses ~30watts of power to do so, which is fine, when docked.
Yes thats more or less what I've been saying.

When docked, a Switch 2 will likely be around where the base PS4 is at now.

The problem Nintendo has is the Wii U failure caused them to release the Switch early.  They are so far behind in power atm (especially once next gen comes out) they have to somehow right the wave of the Switch longer than normally they would and hope mobile tech catches up to at least PS4 (ideally pro) level in handheld mode somehow within 10W of power usage.

If they release Switch 2 early I cannot see it being adopted much. They need to somehow bridge the gap or this gap will just continue to widen each generation. Then at that point there will be no multiplatform games. May as well be all Nintendo exclusives.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Base PS4 while docked? You don't think that technology is going to improve much in the next four years at all?  

Doctor_MG said:
JRPGfan said:

Base PS4 while docked? You don't think that technology is going to improve much in the next four years at all?  

Nintendo never uses bleeding edge technology.
So now... I think 4 years from now, what you ll see in a Switch 2, is the best of whats possible "now".

Even if nintendo did go for the newest new thing, I doubt what you believe "ps4pro" level, is possible even then.
So No technology isnt going to magically start improveing at rates we havent seen before, just to make that possible.

Basically PS4pro level is wishfull thinking, that wont happend.
Unless Switch 2, isnt a handheld anymore.

If nintendo goes back to just a console sitting under the tv, it could be a 100+ watt useing monster, that could be 9-12 Tflops too.
If Nintendo wants to keep the Switch concept, and have it use like 8-10watts in handheld mode, and ~20-25 docked, then thats just not possible no.

Cobretti2 said:
JRPGfan said:

The problem Nintendo has is the Wii U failure caused them to release the Switch early.  They are so far behind in power atm (especially once next gen comes out) they have to somehow right the wave of the Switch longer than normally they would and hope mobile tech catches up to at least PS4 (ideally pro) level in handheld mode somehow within 10W of power usage.

If they release Switch 2 early I cannot see it being adopted much. They need to somehow bridge the gap or this gap will just continue to widen each generation. Then at that point there will be no multiplatform games. May as well be all Nintendo exclusives.

When the Playstation 5 comes out at 9,2 Tflops, theres probably gonna be like a 25 times power differnce, between it and the base Switch model.

25 : 1  (likely higher, in actual performance differnce delta)

Thats a ratio that means, the Switch likely wont get any multplat game, thats made to run on a PS5 (or XBSX).

Waiting to move on, isnt going fix anything.
Ideally Nintendo doesnt want Sony or Microsoft consoles to be more than 10 times its power, if it wants to keep multiplats imo.

Which means the ideal time to launch a Switch 2, is 2021-2022.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 31 December 2019

I must be the only one that doesn't care at all about power. The Switch is a beast. It gives me everything I want from games. All I want is more iterations from my favorite franchises. I want an environment where developers don't have to completely retool their minds and workstations to get their ideas on the screen. I want to see the evolution of gameplay, not graphics. The Switch is poised to deliver on this already and I want the transition to the Switch to the Switch 2 to be as seamless as possible for those involved in blowing our minds with new ways to play inside the worlds they create, and first and foremost that has almost nothing to do with Flops and GPUs and whatever else we're using these days to measure ourselves.

JRPGfan said:

Thats Qualcomm..... not nvidia..  However that GPU is crowned as the "most effecient graphics core, in the world" (currently).
That wouldnt be a bad place to start, Nintendo could drop nvidia, and go ask Qualcomm to make them a chip for Switch 2.

However
1) Adreno 650 is only 950 Gflops FP32.
2) Its Gtex/sec, ROPs performance, Memory Bandwidth are all like half of a Xbox One's.

^ however thats still impressive as all hell for just ~6watts or so of power consumption from the chip.

They could probably make a chip rated for 15-20watts that could be PS4 level.
Which is nuts, when you consider PS4 was like ~130watts when it released.

I couldnt find any numbers for the Apple A12X.... so meh, no idea.
However doubt useing apple chips would be cheap for nintendo, or make much sense so.... its a non issue.

Oh, I know that Adreno is Qualcomm. I wasn't trying to state it was Nvidia. Honestly, I was purposefully avoiding using Qualcomm at first for a better like for like comparison when discussing the Switch. Also, I'm not suggesting using Apple chips, I'm merely stating the current power capabilities of mobile technology right now. 

Also, I believe you are mistaking the Adreno 650 with the 640. The 640's Gtex is 28.1/s vs Xbox One's 40.9/s, Gpixel fill is 9.4/s vs 13.65/s, and memory band 34.13 GB/s vs 68.22 GB/s. 640 is 900-1037 GFLOPS vs 1.3 TFLOPS on Xbox One. The 650 supposedly offers 25% improved performance. If we match that across the board it's 11.75 Gpixel/s, 35.12Gtex/s, (memory band we know is 44.0GB/s), and ~1.2TFLOPS. 

JRPGfan said:

So now... I think 4 years from now, what you ll see in a Switch 2, is the best of whats possible "now".

Even if nintendo did go for the newest new thing, I doubt what you believe "ps4pro" level, is possible even then.
So No technology isnt going to magically start improveing at rates we havent seen before, just to make that possible.

If nintendo goes back to just a console sitting under the tv, it could be a 100+ watt useing monster, that could be 9-12 Tflops too.
If Nintendo wants to keep the Switch concept, and have it use like 8-10watts in handheld mode, and ~20-25 docked, then thats just not possible no.

The difference between what was argued is what was POSSIBLE not what will actually happen. In a previous comment I already identified that Nintendo isn't an industry leader in power performance, and haven't been for 19 years. I'm not expecting PS4 Pro level performance, I'm merely stating that in four years it might be technologically possible. However, you are erroneous to assume that the max we would receive would be a console only as capable as a base PS4 in four years while docked. The Adreno 865 is capable of 2.1 TFLOPS and the device it's on consumes around 65W.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Bandwidth matters, as you start running higher resolutions.
So while that 960 might beat a 7970 at like 720p, I bet you once you start running 1440p, it has the advantage right?
Probably because of that 135% more memory bandwidth.

Would you look at that, a factory OCed 960, is slower than a stock 7970 at 1440 on avg.
Stock to stock, its around 17%.

*edit: actually this review, shows the 960 is slower than the 7970 on all resolutions they tested.

That 135% more bandwidth and 60% more flops only increased performance by 9% at 1440P.
That is pretty insignificant.

You are still proving my point. That Architecture is more important than flops or bandwidth.

Overclock that 960 heavily and it will match/exceed the 7970 even at 1440P.

Not to mention the 960 was always more of a 1080P card anyway.

As for benchmarks themselves, Anandtech is a more legitimate source.
https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1722?vs=1744

Leynos said:

The Xavier is not meant for mobile hardware. It's a large mother board and meant for cars/trucks. It's not designed for something mobile with a battery.

It can scale downwards, it has configurable TDP's.

The 350mm2 die size is the difficult part, but 12nm is mature as it's based on 14/16nm which in turn is based on 20nm, so yields would be absolutely fantastic... Plus there is room to move downwards by porting it to 7nm.

haxxiy said:

Power consumption and manufacturing node are factors here, though.

The Tegra X1 consumed 10 - 15 watts to deliver 500 - 600 GFLOPS and even then it had to be underclocked to fit on the Switch. The figure you're quoting probably refers to the 30W TDP option. The Xavier chip under similar power constraints is a 600 - 800 GFLOPS chip. Even when you factor in the IPC gains of the Volta microarchitecture, it's unlikely the average improvement for games would reach a 2 times increase.

Now, we do more or less know how the next three or so upcoming nodes will perform in terms of feature size and power consumption. How close to a PS4 Pro a ~3 nm or so Switch 2 would perform, though, remains to be seen considering we know nothing about future architectural improvements or which clocks or die size Nintendo would use to fit their power and cost constraints. 

But to assume it could match it certainly risks falling into the same optimistic trap a few members here fell into some four years ago, when they were sure the Tegra X1 could deliver a portable console at least matching the Xbox One. And we know how that one turned out.

The jump between Tegra X1 and Xavier is massive.
Tegra X2 can already have 50% more performance than the X1 at the same powerlevel as it's more power optimized for higher clockrates. (Typical advantage of Pascal over Maxwell.)

There were also improvements to Delta Colour Compression along the way which means more bandwidth even with the same memory setup.

And Xavier has twice the functional units on top of that.

So yes, we can take Xavier and underclock it significantly to meet a Switch-like handheld requirements and still garner a significant increase in performance.

Plus I would hope Nintendo would include a larger (I.E. Not a tiny 6.2" 720P display) so there should be more physical space for a larger battery.

haxxiy said:

But to assume it could match it certainly risks falling into the same optimistic trap a few members here fell into some four years ago, when they were sure the Tegra X1 could deliver a portable console at least matching the Xbox One. And we know how that one turned out.

Yeah, I think that was always a bit of a stretch.
As soon as I knew the hardware was Tegra based, I always asserted that the hardware would fall inline between an Xbox 360 and Xbox One, the reduced clockrates that came out later didn't change that.

Still, it's impressive what developers have been able to do with the hardware... Links Awakening for example looks absolutely adorable considering the hardware constraints.

Doctor_MG said:

Yes, the die size is roughly two and a half times that of the X1, but the power consumption is still in the 10-15W range. I'll concede, though. 

The Adreno 650 is supposed to be capable 1.2TFLOPS of theoretical performance (yet to release), and that GPU is made for the mobile market. The 640 gets around 1.04TFLOPS of performance (released this year), and the A12X from Apple is supposedly at 1.3 TFLOPS of performance (released last year). 

Larger die sizes doesn't always equate to more power consumption, sometimes it does the opposite as there is dark silicon in order to reduce leakage and drive up clockrates... Or spare functional blocks in order to keep yields high.

The Adreno 650 is an interesting beast, it should beat the Xbox One even with less flops as it's a more efficient architecture than Graphics Core Next... And tends to rely on tiled based rendering so it should get extremely efficient use out of it's limited memory bandwidth.

Flops just doesn't tell the whole story.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

JRPGfan said:
Doctor_MG said:

Cobretti2 said:

When the Playstation 5 comes out at 9,2 Tflops, theres probably gonna be like a 25 times power differnce, between it and the base Switch model.

Thats a ratio that means, the Switch likely wont get any multplat game, thats made to run on a PS5 (or XBSX).

Ideally Nintendo doesnt want Sony or Microsoft consoles to be more than 10 times its power, if it wants to keep multiplats imo.

Yeah, keep pretending nintendo will use 2019 technology on their 2022 system when they were releasing the switch in 2016 with 2015 tech. Also ignoring that what's available right now already matches/exceeds a ps4.

Systems aren't tflops, gpus HAVE tflops as one of many things. I expect the ps5 gpu to be 15% more powerful than this rumour and even then it would be nowhere near 25x more powerful than the switch's. The switch doesn't need multiplats made with ps5/xsx in mind because those will only release in meaningful numbers starting 2022, when they will release a switch 2. 2021 is off the question.

Last edited by Nu-13 - on 31 December 2019

shikamaru317 said:

^I'm inclined to agree with JRPGfan on this one. Nintendo doesn't use cutting edge tech, Switch for instance used Tegra X1, which was already 2 years old when Switch released, instead of Tegra X2, and then they downclocked it even further, so it's not even a full 512 gflops in docked mode, only 393 gflops docked. So it is highly doubtful that Switch 2 will use Tegra Orin, which isn't expected to release until 2021. Most likely Switch 2 will use Tegra Xavier assuming that Nintendo decides to stick with Nvidia on Switch 2 for backwards compatibility or other reasons. Tegra Xavier products so far have ranged from 614-1410 gflops, so Switch 2 will likely fall towards the mid-high end of that range docked and towards the low-mid end of that range in handheld mode. I guess that Nintendo could surprise us by using Tegra Orin instead, but I am doubtful, a Tegra Orin powered Switch 2 in 2022 would likely cost $400 on release, and I feel like Nintendo will want to aim for $300-350, and I don't think that Nintendo will wait until 2023 to release Switch 2, which makes Tegra Xavier far more likely imo. And a Tegra Xavier powered Switch 2 will likely offer about PS4 graphics docked and Xbox One graphics in handheld mode, but with better CPU performance (pretty sure that Xavier's CPU cores would outperform Jaguar by a fair margin). PS4 Pro tier performance docked won't even be possible on Tegra Orin imo, PS4 Pro is 4 tflop AMD (equivalent to about 3 tflop on Nvidia GPU's, which tend to offer higher performance per flop than their AMD counterparts), and I doubt that Orin will double the performance per watt of Xavier. 

Tegra x1 was not 2 years old when switch came out and was the best they could get on a $299 system. Orin is not a mobile gpu and is too expensive and powerful. If nintendo gets a gpu that's 40-45% as powerful as an orin for Switch 2, it will already match or at least be close to an xbox one x gpu. But it really baffles me that you accept the reality of other consoles having a 5-7x jump but think the switch 2 will only be like 3x more powerful than the switch.

Cobretti2 said:

What nvidia chips in 2021-2022 will bring the Switch into line that will allow for PS5/XBSX ports?

I just can't see it happening, unless they drop the switch concept and go hardcore console.

super_etecoon said:
I must be the only one that doesn't care at all about power. The Switch is a beast. It gives me everything I want from games. All I want is more iterations from my favorite franchises. I want an environment where developers don't have to completely retool their minds and workstations to get their ideas on the screen. I want to see the evolution of gameplay, not graphics. The Switch is poised to deliver on this already and I want the transition to the Switch to the Switch 2 to be as seamless as possible for those involved in blowing our minds with new ways to play inside the worlds they create, and first and foremost that has almost nothing to do with Flops and GPUs and whatever else we're using these days to measure ourselves.

The issue is their competition is steaming so far ahead that the Nintendo console becomes a separate universe. Which means that multiplatform gave will be non existent. 

If Nintendo can convince 3rd parties to support them with exclusives by all means power does not matter.

If they cannot, power is a factor.