By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What should Nintendo have done instead of Wii U?

Azzanation said:
Liquid_faction said:

They should have instead, renamed it to anything but the (Wii) U. Might not have done that much better, but at least people wouldn't have thought it was just an accessory to the Wii.

I disagree.

Everyone says they shouldnt have named it the WiiU.. and act like the Wii tainted the WiiU because of it. The Wii is Nintendos most successful console ever made, buisness wise you would want the name to help carry the WiiU as the Wii name globally was well known for good reason.

The naming of the system had nothing to do with the success of the console and if someone goes out buying a $400+ product without doing there research first than ill be telling them to stay at home and dont shop until they learn how to do that first.

Plus the WiiU is a Wii, basically a HD upgrade that plays all Wii games and accessories. It actually makes alot of sense.

I worked retail around that time... and let me tell you there are a LOT of people who go to buy consoles knowing very little about them, and a lot of people who wanted to buy a Gamepad for their Wii.  A lot of customers are stupid.  If you want to make a product that appeals (hopefully) to a mass market, ill informed people are going to be a big part of your market, and if you tell them all to go home, you're going to go broke. 

RolStoppable said:
JWeinCom said:

Sure, but that was the whole point of what I was initially discussing.  Trying to determine how much weight should be put on the Gamepad itself.

Enough weight to conclude that Nintendo shouldn't have built a console based on such a controller. Is there still no agreement on this?

I think it's probably a fair inference, but to make it a conclusion would require more information we have. We really have no way to isolate the Gamepad as a variable, so all we really have are our intuitions.  

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 05 January 2020

Around the Network

Wii HD in 2009/2010, then Wii U, with different name, much better specs and GamePad just as an accessory in 2013.

HoloDust said:

Wii HD in 2009/2010, then Wii U, with different name, much better specs and GamePad just as an accessory in 2013.

2009 was Wii's peak year, and 2010 was really strong too... A console revision was completely unnecessary at that point.  

d21lewis said:
Mnementh said:

I heavily disagree on this. I love to point out for this argument the sales of Just Dance. In 2010 Nintendo scaled back casual/motion controlled games and 2011 also 3rd-parties started to reduce their games. But in these two years Just Dance peaked. The sales only started to drop, after it was clear gaming companies gave up on motion controls. So it is pretty obvious, that the motion control trend was on decline - but not because the customers went away, but because the gaming companies did. I want to point out, that the Wii was the strongest platform for Just Dance even years after discontinuation, only the Switch took the throne. A fact even Ubisoft recognizes:

"A lot of our [Just Dance series] players are children and families who continue to play on Wii." - https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/20/18662890/just-dance-2020-wii-hospitals-families-xbox-one-stadia-playstation4-nintendo-switch

This should make clear that the customers for motion controlled games never went away, they were just abandoned by the gaming companies. So a Wii successor following the motion control trend could've been at least majorly better than the WiiU. Maybe not reaching the heights of Wii, but 70-80 million should've been possible.

And I see that potential still today. A proper Wii Sports follow-up on Switch probably will sell 20M. If they evolve the concept like they did with RingFit Adventure compared to WiiFit it might even double that.

Fair enough. I guess companies are just leaving money on the table.

Me? I'm a motion control enthusiast. I use motion controls in Mario Odyssey, Res Evil 5, PSVR, hell I just bought Dance Central for XB One. I own not one but TWO Kinects. One of the most recent games I played (unfortunately not in my sig) was Fruit Ninja 2 on the Kinect. I'm a supporter. Unfortunately, the internet made it seem like there was just no market for motion controls. That it was for "casuals". I'm having a hard time finding games to fill the niche.

I guess I didn't word my original post correctly. What I wanted to say was that the Wii was a monster. Nintendo tried to use the Wii name for the Wii U and it didn't work. They couldn't have known that the trend had faded (I thought it had. Maybe I was wrong.). It backfired. Just like how Kinect was a monster. Microsoft figured they could bundle a better Kinect with the Xbox One and it would justify the $500 price. Me? I loved the Kinect 2.0 and I liked the Wii U. Both failed.

Anyway, do we have sale numbers for Just Dance on the Wii? Is it just making a profit or is it like a phenomenon? What's stopping it from taking the Switch by storm?

*Edit* I clicked the hyperlink. 

About Kinect being a failure: We just had the launch aligned gap chart between X360 and PS4 on VGC. There you can clearly see the power of Kinect.

For companies leaving money on the table: Well, that happens. Companies doesn't always act rational. That is because they are lead by people. And in the case of gaming consoles it is even more extreme, we only have three competitors. See, in the car manufacturer market you have about ten competitors, and still it needed an outsider in form of Tesla to kickstart electric cars.

Changes with only three competitors are even more difficult. They just can do what they always did, and nobody complains. Diving into a new and risky market is difficult. So Nintendo tried their hands with the Wii, had massive success and were trying what to do. They develop Wii Music. And Wii Music was a game with no real concept behind it except somethign with motion control and music. And so it failed. Miyamoto unable to recognize his own failure in designing the game decided it was because the market moved on from motion control. And so while the games still in development at the time Wii Music came out and released in 2009 (Wii Sport Resort, Wii Fit Plus, Mario&Sonic at the Olympic games) were much more successful Nintendo somehow decided to move away from motion controlled games.

About Just Dance on Switch, it is a bit difficult as VGC stopped tracking sales of games at this point. What we know is only, that the Switch version of Just Dance is the first version beating the Wii version in sales. The limited sales data seems to indicate that the series is on an upswing on Switch, as JD 2019 sits at the same sales as JD 2018, although VGC stopped tracking just months after release of the later version. The sales curve indicates that JD 2019 did go on sell much better. So my indicator game Just Dance seems to suggest Switch has a devoted fan base of motion control games, although Nintendo didn't make a push for them until RingFit adventure. And we all know Wii Sports did even better than Wii Fit.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

JWeinCom said:
HoloDust said:

2009 was Wii's peak year, and 2010 was really strong too... A console revision was completely unnecessary at that point.  

More options for consumers who wanted HD option, no different really than PS4 Pro which came after 3 years of PS4 selling like hotcakes.

Around the Network

Not a thing different. No WiiU no switch. Things worked out pretty much perfect.

JWeinCom said:
HoloDust said:

A revision isn't just about sales... But can increase profit margins.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
JWeinCom said:

Sure, but how is an HD revision which would probably drive up both hardware and software costs increase profit margins?  

I think they shouldve copied the ps move navigator controllers and released a wii2. Wouldve been a much better transitional move and allowed for a price drop. If they loved the gamepad so much then release it as an accessory bundled w nintendo land as almost no other games used it well.

JWeinCom said:
Pemalite said:

Sure, but how is an HD revision which would probably drive up both hardware and software costs increase profit margins?  

Newer chips don't always cost more, they can often be smaller, faster, cheaper to manufacture and require less power delivery and cooling reducing the overall bill of materials.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--