By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What should Nintendo have done instead of Wii U?

JWeinCom said:
Pemalite said:

The Wii was running HD textures. Some 360 games had 4k textures. (4096x4096)
Texture resolution is independent of the display output resolution.

The Original Xbox was running at HD resolutions for many games, the Wii was a similar ballpark in terms of overall capability.

What I am getting at... Is that fabricating old, large chips isn't always cheaper... Companies like to retool their fabs to newer process nodes, while doing so... There tends to be less fabs on older process nodes, those older nodes tend to get used for specialized chips/controllers for specialized markets and thus get charged a premium. - Thus building a console chip on antiquated and old nodes can actually start to increase in costs while that node is being depreciated.

Same thing goes for RAM, Ram is is a commodity and thus suffers the wrath of market forces like supply/demand.. Thus after a DRAM  technology has hit full market saturation, it tends to be at it's lowest price point, from there as other markets shift to newer DRAM technologies, supply switches to the newer DRAM and older DRAM technologies tend to go up in price as manufacturing for it stops. - Consoles don't tend to make any changes on the Ram front.

Ergo, older hardware isn't necessarily always cheaper or more cost effective than newer, faster hardware.

Right now, I can guarantee a Raspberry Pi is not only faster than the Wii, but would end up being cheaper to manufacture for example.

Can you explain a bit more how and why 360 games would have 4k textures?  That doesn't make sense to me.

I know that chips get cheaper to produce over time, but not enough to make significant graphical leaps while cutting costs.  When have we ever seen a console revision that significantly boosted performance without an increase in cost?

The higher the texture resolution, the sharper and crisper and the more details textures will have in a game, regardless if you are running at 480P, 720P, 1080P or 4k.

The output resolution is how many pixels the entire image displayed on your screen is.

Texture resolution is how many pixels the texture sitting on top of a surface (i.e like the side of a building) is.

A higher display resolution will of course bring more details out in high resolution textures as there are more pixels to resolve smaller details... Which is why allot of "enhanced" Xbox and Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One X have more details "pop". - It's the same textures as the original games release.

curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

The Wii was running HD textures. Some 360 games had 4k textures. (4096x4096)
Texture resolution is independent of the display output resolution.

The Original Xbox was running at HD resolutions for many games, the Wii was a similar ballpark in terms of overall capability.

What was it exactly (aside from the output) that limited the Wii to 480p, was it the 3MB of eDRAM that made a bigger framebuffer unfeasible? 

Well, you aren't obligated to use the 3MB of eDRAM, so you can skip that entirely.

You can also take a tiled rendering approach to use that 3MB for higher resolutions anyway... And of course you can use it as a general cache as well.

I would assume it's just a firmware restriction rather than a technical one... As Component can output 720P just fine which the Wii supports, obviously the higher resolution would result in less/lower quality effects of course.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

curl-6 said:

What was it exactly (aside from the output) that limited the Wii to 480p, was it the 3MB of eDRAM that made a bigger framebuffer unfeasible? 

Well, you aren't obligated to use the 3MB of eDRAM, so you can skip that entirely.

You can also take a tiled rendering approach to use that 3MB for higher resolutions anyway... And of course you can use it as a general cache as well.

I would assume it's just a firmware restriction rather than a technical one... As Component can output 720P just fine which the Wii supports, obviously the higher resolution would result in less/lower quality effects of course.

Interesting, so they basically capped it at 480p internally cos that was what they envisioned as its target when designing the hardware?

curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

Interesting, so they basically capped it at 480p internally cos that was what they envisioned as its target when designing the hardware?

Most likely.
Gamecube was doing 480P, so if they matched Gamecube visuals with the Wii they could have upped the resolution with the extra hardware capability.

In saying that, more to visuals than just resolution anyway.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

For the diminishing audience that was still interested in Wii mini-games they should've jut made a Wii HD ... something cheap ($150 max) that could run basic 720p resolution games with Wii quality visuals or slightly better. Nothing more, nothing less.

Then they should have made a real new console and taken advantage of a year headstart over Sony/MS. They wouldn't have beat Sony but probably they do better MS and get a decent slice of that next-gen pie (45-55 million units).

JWeinCom said:
HoloDust said:

Well, in that alternate timeline I think Wii would have longer legs due to Wii HD - as I said, probably making it to 120mils...which would be worth for Nintendo.

I think an HD version would boost legs, but why launch that in 2009 as opposed to 2011?

I think 2011 would be too late, HD problem was showing much, much earlier...as I said originally, 2009/2010, but I don't see problem with 2009 - yeah, Wii was doing great, but if they launched Wii HD for holidays, I guess lot of people would get that one instead.

Around the Network

In 2009 most US homes did not yet have a HDTV

https://www.dealerscope.com/article/hdtv-adoption-us-households-nearly-50-percent-mark-according-leichtman-research-group-inc/

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 January 2020

curl-6 said:

In 2009 most US home did not yet have a HDTV

https://www.dealerscope.com/article/hdtv-adoption-us-households-nearly-50-percent-mark-according-leichtman-research-group-inc/

10 years lateron, and almost everyone has a 4k tv..... crazy how fast things change.

JRPGfan said:
curl-6 said:

In 2009 most US home did not yet have a HDTV

10 years lateron, and almost everyone has a 4k tv..... crazy how fast things change.

Dunno about "almost everyone". I had trouble finding a lot of solid figures but this report from just yesterday puts 4K TVs in 56% of US households, so just over half.

https://www.telecompetitor.com/parks-finds-77-percent-of-smart-tvs-connected-to-internet/

curl-6 said:

46% and 61% for households over $75K is a shitload.

PS4 Pro launched in 2016, and I very much doubt 4K adaption was anywhere near those numbers.

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

46% and 61% for households over $75K is a shitload.

PS4 Pro launched in 2016, and I very much doubt 4K adaption was anywhere near those numbers.

Sony flog TVs, so it's in their interest to push for the adoption of first HD and now 4K.

If Nintendo were gonna do a Wii HD I reckon save it for 2011 to maintain momentum.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 January 2020