By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will be your second platform of choices for next gen after Switch (outside PC/smartphones/cloud gaming)

My second consoles will be

PS5 34 73.91%

Xbox X 11 23.91%

Xbox S 1 2.17%

Total:46
Pemalite said:
Slownenberg said:

Interesting that you've already decided to get the most powerful console having no idea on what features/games/price is going to be. ;p

I am a hardware enthusiast, so not really that interesting.

Then get a PC? I mean, it has the widest variety of games, the more freedom to mod and alter to your personal taste, and is nearly entirely backwards compatible. 

I don't understand how, in this modern era, anyone could care more about graphics and performance than gameplay and innovation. I'd take a thousand switches and even WiiUs over a single Xbox One X by simple virtue of the fact that those consoles did something new and interesting and had games that were fun. The Xbox One X did the same thing the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One did but prettier and with silkier framerate. 

To me, that's like saying The Hobbit movies were better than Lord of the Rings becuase the visual effects were more impressive and the movie was filmed and released in 48fps instead of the cinema standard of I think 24 (might be 30). The film industry knows that prettier effects don't make a movie better, so why do so many gamers still genuinely act like better graphics make a game better? This isn't the 90's anymore, we collectively know better than to assume that graphics>Gameplay now. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

Where’s the “None” option?

I’ll never buy an Xbox and haven’t been interested in PlayStation since PS2.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Honestly it depends how broken the games are and how big the day 1 patch downloads are.

Tired of waiting hours to play a game that should play out of the box. May as well get Steam and play it via PC at this point if that shit don't improve..

Pemalite said:
Bandorr said:

There fixed it. Now everyone has a reusable template for your first question.  You asked and answered - that's impressive.

Nah mate.

The difference there is... People are buying purchasing decisions irrespective of hardware specs, games or price.

Where-as I will base my purchasing decision on hardware specs.

See the difference?

I do see the difference. People have at least a decent idea of what they are gonna get based on if they get a Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo system. So people who already have an idea of which system they want are basing it on the company's history of specs, games, price. And of course those decisions are also based on the specs, games, and price once that stuff is announced.

While you are disregarding games and price entirely, even though the whole point of buying a system is to play the games, and saying you are just gonna pick whichever is the strongest system. That is a bizarre way to decide which system you're gonna get. Power differences are pretty much meaningless these days. You either get similarly super powered Sony or Microsoft home systems that play can technically play the exact same games, or you get a less powerful but still super powered Nintendo hybrid. Games are what matter. If you love PS5 games but Xbox Series is 5% more powerful which makes zero difference are you really gonna go with Xbox because it is more powerful? If playing Nintendo games is a must each gen but the home consoles are more powerful than a portable are you really gonna ignore the system with your favorite games? It is hard to believe any gamer would make a decision blindly based on which system had the best specs.

Runa216 said:
Pemalite said:

I am a hardware enthusiast, so not really that interesting.

Then get a PC? I mean, it has the widest variety of games, the more freedom to mod and alter to your personal taste, and is nearly entirely backwards compatible. 

I don't understand how, in this modern era, anyone could care more about graphics and performance than gameplay and innovation. I'd take a thousand switches and even WiiUs over a single Xbox One X by simple virtue of the fact that those consoles did something new and interesting and had games that were fun. The Xbox One X did the same thing the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One did but prettier and with silkier framerate. 

To me, that's like saying The Hobbit movies were better than Lord of the Rings becuase the visual effects were more impressive and the movie was filmed and released in 48fps instead of the cinema standard of I think 24 (might be 30). The film industry knows that prettier effects don't make a movie better, so why do so many gamers still genuinely act like better graphics make a game better? This isn't the 90's anymore, we collectively know better than to assume that graphics>Gameplay now. 

Exactly. While people still like to complain about graphics, Sony and Microsoft for the past two gens run the exact same games, so that is gonna come down to stuff like games/exclusives, price, controller, online. Basically games and features, but mostly games. If you want to play Nintendo games or play games on the go, and don't mind not getting the latest AAA 3rd party action games that make up the meat of the other two systems, you're gonna get a Nintendo system. No where in there do graphics really come into play. It's basically Nintendo games vs 3rd party AAA games, portable vs home, and which companies exclusives do you prefer. Graphics whores will rule out Nintendo for being portable, but between Sony and Microsoft the differences in specs are meaningless when they run the exact same games that look the same.

Around the Network

Can we have the option to buy another Switch added? We have a Switch and Switch Lite and that still isn't enough consoles for everyone to play the games they want in our house (Wife plays Pokemon, one kid plays Mario/Luigi, another plays Smash/Marvel Ultimate Alliance/Pokemon/etc, and I play Mario/Zelda/etc) so next year I will be looking to get another Switch for the house and keep catching up on the amazing lineup of games Nintendo has released since March 2017.

Nintendo with the Switch:

Bandorr said:

Where -as I will base my purchasing decision on hardware specs exclusives. See the difference?

Good for you. You aren't the person who my original post was aimed at.

Slownenberg said:

People have at least a decent idea of what they are gonna get based on if they get a Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo system. So people who already have an idea of which system they want are basing it on the company's history of specs, games, price. And of course those decisions are also based on the specs, games, and price once that stuff is announced.

I personally would rather have all the information first before jumping the gun and running to any specific brand, I don't have a preference in that regard.

For all we know the Playstation 5 will be $100 more expensive and have inferior hardware... And less exclusives out the gate, but there are people with already established purchasing preferences for a Playstation 5 regardless.

Runa216 said:

I am a PC gamer, it's my primary platform of choice. - You are preaching to the already converted.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--