By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are Indie Games still selling well on Switch?

The Switch's market has had a lot more releases since the early days, and I'm curious if they are still in a good place. 

I mean it is probably still better than Steam......and then there is Goose Game. 

(I mean I play Overwatch Switch and that has never topped charts, but I can always find people on quick play, unfilted 6 x 6, and other modes like that. I somehow guess that the Indie games need less to be fine than Overwatch sans Cross Play does)

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

Right now, the Switch has more indies than ever, but they do have to compete against each other and older AAA ports, which is natural for a system the older it gets. Though I'm pretty sure nothing has changed, considering Steam is still clottered, Epic has too bad of a reputation outside of exclusives, GoG is too small, and PS4/XBOne are on their way out. Maybe those will be more indie friendly, but considering their strategies are still too tied to big AAA releases as supposed to the Switch's more modest library, I'm not sure if that'll be the case.

Though that makes me wonder, will cloud/streaming services be better for indies than other traditional platforms? How much money makes an indie game on Stadia/XCloud & so on?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I don't know about that but I do know the eshop needs a massive pverhaul. Just looking through deals is so damn exhausting and now the system has hundreds of games. It willl be thousands soon enough. This format sucks for that and there needs to be better categorization for everything. A ratings system and comments are badly needed as well. Maybe with a verified purchase mark for those that buy the game

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Darwinianevolution said:

Though that makes me wonder, will cloud/streaming services be better for indies than other traditional platforms? How much money makes an indie game on Stadia/XCloud & so on?

You just scared the crap out of me.  You gave me a glimpse of a dark future where Stadia is viable on the back of indie titles.  When today massive data and visual processing is taking a huge bite of the bandwidth, making Stadia for the normal person with low to mid-tier internet, most small indie games should play normally how it's played now.  I mean, I don't know the technology or anything, correct me if i'm wrong, but makes sense to me most indies are low maintenance. When you can take a controller and move that indie game to any screen on your house, with the same saved files, Stadia gets to be closer to viable.  And I bet Google is banking on 10 years for the technology to come, they'll wait forever until it does to be honest. 

Yes

/thread

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Shiken said:
Yes

/thread

I'm curious to see the figures. Could you provide them? I know Stardew Valley has sold well, but I have no idea how well.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Indie games sell nicely if they are discounted. Competition is quite hard nowadays. The Touryst by Shin'en hasn't made it into the Top 30 eshop charts although it's a big indie title. But it could be that it still sells good like Fast RMX. Unfortunately we don't have numbers...

siebensus4 said:
Indie games sell nicely if they are discounted. Competition is quite hard nowadays. The Touryst by Shin'en hasn't made it into the Top 30 eshop charts although it's a big indie title. But it could be that it still sells good like Fast RMX. Unfortunately we don't have numbers...

This game looks interesting. Thanks for calling it out. That's going on my list.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I would like to see numbers on specific titles, but I have a hunch that several titles, like Goose Game, have sold extremely well. I got Goose Game in late October and it was #1 on the eShop charts just ahead of preorders for Luigi's Mansion. I would be surprised if they didn't sell at least 1 million downloads on Switch by the end of the year.

Jumpin said:
siebensus4 said:

This game looks interesting. Thanks for calling it out. That's going on my list.

Digital Foundry couldn't stop loving this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT39Ji_J_RE

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]