By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Update: Pokemon Sword/Shield sells 2 million in first 3 days in Japan, doubles Switch hardware to 180k

If they released Animal Crossing in December they would kill it on hardware numbers. Now looking at their strategy they have been weak first part of the year recently so keeping it for March release might actually have been best. Plus they better refine the shit out of the game and damn thing better be perfect once released now entering into half cycle of Duke Nukem Forever development time period.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

If they released Animal Crossing in December they would kill it on hardware numbers. Now looking at their strategy they have been weak first part of the year recently so keeping it for March release might actually have been best. Plus they better refine the shit out of the game and damn thing better be perfect once released now entering into half cycle of Duke Nukem Forever development time period.

There’s a release window gap in March.

Personally speaking, I’m not buying Pokémon or Luigis Mountain. I don’t care much for those franchises. So I’d have preferred it, personally, in the holiday season. But I also know by my friends list anecdotally that there’s a ton of Pokémon fan/Animal Crossing fan crossover.

Having AC to them there is good business strategy. It also lets them focus marketing heavily on Animal Crossing in a slot of the calendar that would otherwise be empty.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Barkley said:
Agente42 said:

What? 

In Japan, you can approximated very accurate the total sales. Famistu and Dengenki bring total sales sold x shipped, percentage form. Likewise Fire Emblem.

Yes you can get sold-through from famitsu and shipped+digital from Nintendo... what's your point?

My point is simple: Fire Emblem has 40% digital sales, I believe the increase in digital percentage is a tendency. Because of Switch nature and vouchers programs.

Barkley said:
Agente42 said:

What? 

In Japan, you can approximated very accurate the total sales. Famistu and Dengenki bring total sales sold x shipped, percentage form. Likewise Fire Emblem.

Yes you can get sold-through from famitsu and shipped+digital from Nintendo... what's your point?

They give sell through percentage

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

There's a lot of qualifiers on both the negative and positive sides tbh.

On the one hand, the "Switch factor", where so many other games sold well above the norm for their series, doesn't seem to have applied with Pokemon.

On the other, both the hardware and software cost are higher than for any previous entry, and Famitsu's figure is ultimately a very incomplete picture of actual total sales. 

Will be interesting to see if the doubling of Let's Go is a trend that holds true worldwide.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

On the one hand, the "Switch factor", where so many other games sold well above the norm for their series, doesn't seem to have applied with Pokemon.

On the other, both the hardware and software cost are higher than for any previous entry, and Famitsu's figure is ultimately a very incomplete picture of actual total sales. 

Will be interesting to see if the doubling of Let's Go is a trend that holds true worldwide.

The "Switch factor" is more of a global thing rather than Japan.

Yoshi, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon have all performed below 3DS entries.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Yoshi, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon have all performed below 3DS entries.

In Japan, right? That would make sense as 3DS sold faster than Switch in Japan despite the opposite being true globally.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

In Japan, right? That would make sense as 3DS sold faster than Switch in Japan despite the opposite being true globally.

Yes, it's been games with more of a home console history (3D Zelda, Smash, 3D Mario, Splatoon, Xenoblade) that have shown big improvements in Japan.

Does any one know the following:

Do double pack count as 1 or 2 sales?

For smash and let’s go did the special edition Consoles release the same time or earlier like the switch light Pokémon special edition?

Previous first week sales of pokemon games, I saw someone posted them, is first week all the same amount of days or are some shorter/longer?

RetroGamer94 said:
Does any one know the following:

Do double pack count as 1 or 2 sales?

For smash and let’s go did the special edition Consoles release the same time or earlier like the switch light Pokémon special edition?

Previous first week sales of pokemon games, I saw someone posted them, is first week all the same amount of days or are some shorter/longer?

Double pack counts as 2 sales

Smash & Let's Go bundles released the same day as Let's Go

I'm not sure how many days for each previous title