Forums - Sales Discussion - Update: Pokemon Sword/Shield sells 2 million in first 3 days in Japan, doubles Switch hardware to 180k

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

There's a lot of qualifiers on both the negative and positive sides tbh.

On the one hand, the "Switch factor", where so many other games sold well above the norm for their series, doesn't seem to have applied with Pokemon.

On the other, both the hardware and software cost are higher than for any previous entry, and Famitsu's figure is ultimately a very incomplete picture of actual total sales. 

Will be interesting to see if the doubling of Let's Go is a trend that holds true worldwide.

The "Switch factor" is more of a global thing rather than Japan.

Yoshi, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon have all performed below 3DS entries.

In Japan, right? That would make sense as 3DS sold faster than Switch in Japan despite the opposite being true globally.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

The "Switch factor" is more of a global thing rather than Japan.

Yoshi, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon have all performed below 3DS entries.

In Japan, right? That would make sense as 3DS sold faster than Switch in Japan despite the opposite being true globally.

Yes, it's been games with more of a home console history (3D Zelda, Smash, 3D Mario, Splatoon, Xenoblade) that have shown big improvements in Japan.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Does any one know the following:

Do double pack count as 1 or 2 sales?

For smash and let’s go did the special edition Consoles release the same time or earlier like the switch light Pokémon special edition?

Previous first week sales of pokemon games, I saw someone posted them, is first week all the same amount of days or are some shorter/longer?

RetroGamer94 said:
Does any one know the following:

Do double pack count as 1 or 2 sales?

For smash and let’s go did the special edition Consoles release the same time or earlier like the switch light Pokémon special edition?

Previous first week sales of pokemon games, I saw someone posted them, is first week all the same amount of days or are some shorter/longer?

Double pack counts as 2 sales

Smash & Let's Go bundles released the same day as Let's Go

I'm not sure how many days for each previous title

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It sold 6M worldwide after its first week
Japan is at 2M

Source: https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201911210060/

Edit: Official Press Release https://www.pokemon.co.jp/corporate/PostImages/b1b2b7b4ea55eef149f2bc849c194eea958c68c6.pdf

Last edited by Marth - on 21 November 2019

German YouTuber and Streamer:
StarCraft and Fallout 4 currently.

Me trying to write reviews:
Octopath Traveler

Amazon thread

Around the Network

Yep, Japan is at two million already, above Diamond and Pearl's 1,588,734, about the same as Sun and Moon's 1,905,107 first three days.

Guess all the doom and gloom early in the thread didn't align with reality.

700k in 3 days for Pokemon SnS at Japan.

Marth said:

It sold 6M worldwide after its first week
Japan is at 2M

Source: https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201911210060/

Edit: Official Press Release https://www.pokemon.co.jp/corporate/PostImages/b1b2b7b4ea55eef149f2bc849c194eea958c68c6.pdf

Thanks for the update!

It means 32% of the sales were digital then.

In line with the digital rates of Link's awakening, Fire emblem and Mario Maker

zorg1000 said:
Barkley said:

Yes you can get sold-through from famitsu and shipped+digital from Nintendo... what's your point?

They give sell through percentage

Can't see that in the same document, link please!

NateH said:
Yep, Japan is at two million already, above Diamond and Pearl's 1,588,734, about the same as Sun and Moon's 1,905,107 first three days.

Guess all the doom and gloom early in the thread didn't align with reality.

Now that we have a Sword/Shield number including digital sales, an estimate for digital sales should be added where applicable when we compare Sword/Shield's 2m to the other games.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9076782

X/Y was released at a time when simultaneous physical + digital releases were still in their infancy on Nintendo consoles, Sun/Moon was better off, but I still wouldn't put its digital share above 10% because that's about the value where Switch started from in 2017.

Including an estimate for digital sales:

Black/White - ~2.6m
X/Y - ~2.2m
Sun/Moon - ~2.1m
Sword/Shield - ~2m

A decline is still there, but Sword/Shield's high digital share makes the decline considerably smaller than zorg1000's conservative estimate in the post linked above.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club