By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Update: Pokemon Sword/Shield sells 2 million in first 3 days in Japan, doubles Switch hardware to 180k

Considering that this is the most expensive mainline Pokemon game plus the entry price for the hardware, I would say that is pretty impressive!

And a good proportion ratio for digital sales is a given

Last edited by 160rmf - on 20 November 2019

We reap what we sow

Around the Network

Digital Sales on Switch are actually even higher than the other consoles due to ease of portability. If these are physical only numbers without Nintendo store and amazon reports, I think it is safe to say sales are up there with other mainline games.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

PAOerfulone said:
X/Y and Sun/Moon sold around 2.1 and 1.9 million copies at retail, respectively, when they launched. Even with a high digital ratio thanks to the NSO Vouchers, say 30%,, that would still clock Sword/Shield's overall launch total just under 1.8 million.

And See/Sh is a lot more expensive per game sold.

Shiken said:
Digital Sales on Switch are actually even higher than the other consoles due to ease of portability. If these are physical only numbers without Nintendo store and amazon reports, I think it is safe to say sales are up there with other mainline games.

Uh... no Switch digital sales are much lower than PS4/XBO. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/191031_3e.pdf

Nintendo's Revenue breakdown for software last fiscal year:

Retail Games - 75.2%
Digital Versions of Retail Games - 16.8%
Download Only Titles, Add-On Content & Subscriptions - 8%

If you take out the 8% from Download Only, Add-On's and Online Subscriptions it works out that 18.2% of retail/packaged software revenue comes from digital.

While last fiscal year the "PS4 full game software digital download ratio" was 37%.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/18q4_supplement.pdf

In terms of revenue Nintendo reported 118.8 Billion yen in digital revenue, PlayStation reported 1102 Billion, almost 10 times as much digital revenue.

Barkley said:
Shiken said:

Uh... no Switch digital sales are much lower than PS4/XBO. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/191031_3e.pdf

Retail Games - 75.2%

If you take out the 8% from Download Only, Add-On's and Online Subscriptions it works out that 18.2% of retail/packaged software revenue comes from digital.

While last fiscal year the "PS4 full game software digital download ratio" was 37%.

In terms of revenue Nintendo reported 118.8 Billion yen in digital revenue, PlayStation reported 1102 Billion, almost 10 times as much digital revenue.

It doesn't surprise me PSN is ahead. PSN has amazing discounts compared to the Eshop.

Around the Network

Sword/Shield having a lower opening than the previous gen isn't surprising when openings have been on the decline since Black and White. Not even the Pokéboost of 2016 could prevent Sun and Moon from achieving a lower opening than X and Y. The size of S/S's decline isn't out of line with the trend either, so the game has performed in Japan as it could be expected.

The game also notably boosted hardware sales, so the only thing that can be held against Sword/Shield is that it didn't perform above reasonable expectations. The decline of openings could be looked up, preorder numbers didn't suggest that S/S can stop the decline.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Barkley said:
RenCutypoison said:
What are the digital ratios of other best-selling Nintendo first party games on Switch ?

Can't get singular digital sales, but we can get the average digital sales ratio of all retail/package games.

Last fiscal year Digital Sales including "A. downloadable versions of packaged software, B. Download-Only Software, C. Add-On Content and D. Nintendo Switch Online Subscriptions" accounted for 24.8% of sales to the total dedicated video game software sales.

Nintendo show that 67.6% of those digital sales are "downloadable versions of packaged software sales". So we get this:

Retail Games - 75.2%

so (16.8/92)*100 - 18.2

So for last fiscal year the digital ratio for retail games was 18.2%.

This would put SW/SH FW sales including digital at 1.66m

But that's global data, revenue not units and average lifetime, not average FW. So how useful that actually is, is questionable.

Why are you using global previous fiscal year when we know the Japan shipped+digital totals & retail sell through total for titles on the voucher program?

I'll have to look them over again but if I recall the digital rate is something like 20% for Mario Maker, 40% for Fire Emblem and 30% for Link's Awakening.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

Why are you using global previous fiscal year when we know the Japan shipped+digital totals & retail sell through total for titles on the voucher program?

I'll have to look them over again but if I recall the digital rate is something like 20% for Mario Maker, 40% for Fire Emblem and 30% for Link's Awakening.

Did not know we had data for Shipped+Digital Japan Only.

Barkley said:
Shiken said:

Retail Games - 75.2%

Thank you for correcting me, I was going off of what I personally have seen.  I will keep this data in mind.

However if you take 16.8% of Pokemon physical sales and add it to retail numbers, you get 2.18 mil with that alone.  Now this is by no means an exact number, but a VERY  ROUGH guestimate based on the facts you provided.

Add in the current unlnowns from Amazon and Nintendo stores, and my point still stands.  So until we have all the facts, it might be best to keep the downplay to a minimum is all I am saying.

Last edited by Shiken - on 20 November 2019

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

think-man said:

It doesn't surprise me PSN is ahead. PSN has amazing discounts compared to the Eshop.

The difference is so big because Sony is charging so much for online multiplayer and has a lot more customers who are willing to pay for it. Barkley should have noted that his comparison isn't about game sales only.

Beyond that, Nintendo's customers value software higher, so the digital sales ratio of a Nintendo console will never go as high as on a Sony or Microsoft console. The majority of people with big collections of Switch games will put physical games on their shelves because digital isn't the real deal. One of these days I'll have to ask Shiken how he always comes up with his upside down reasonings.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments