By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Update: Pokemon Sword/Shield sells 2 million in first 3 days in Japan, doubles Switch hardware to 180k

Nintendo has actively stated that vouchers and digital sales have effected the physical sales of their games this year. These comments are borderline idiotic considering you're only picking arguments that suit your agenda. Not the whole picture.

So, wait untill an official PR statement before you go around thinking you're right. However, one thing is for sure. The games will be successful. End of.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
At a glance it's seems like lukewarm sales for a new gen Pokemon. However, plot twist; digital ends up being 50%, so it actually sold 2.7M.

Digital is up to 70% for Pokemon, isn't it obvious? Clearly it has been sold out at stores too like MHW, so digital sales must be higher FW. So I guess it sold around 4m, making it the top seller.

No, no, no. The haters cannot accept it was all for not. Let them believe they had an impact. We wouldn't want to see their little snowflake feelings hurt.

Moderated - think-man 

Last edited by think-man - on 20 November 2019

Pretty good, and I am willing to bet that it surpasses the sun and moon total (3.9 million) and stood the decline of Pokémon for a bit

MasonADC said:
Pretty good, and I am willing to bet that it surpasses the sun and moon total (3.9 million) and stood the decline of Pokémon for a bit

I think that's possible. Ultra Sun/Moon just a year later really hurt Sun and Moons lifetime sales.

Around the Network
think-man said:

And how do you explain X/Y selling more than Sun/Moon despite having half the install base? 

It barely outsold it with a three-year head start, plus Sun/Moon came out when the 3DS was on life support, on its way out the door with the Switch coming out a few months later.

Also, as someone else noted, Sun/Moon got an enhanced version a year later, while there never was a 'Z.'

Last edited by NateH - on 20 November 2019

Barkley said:
miqdadi said:
I expect it to reach at least 15M world wide before next release

I agree, I think it will do better globally than it has in Japan. Let's Go did.

Interestingly Let's Go week sold the same hardware as Sword/Shield.

Let's Go week Switch sold 180,585 in Japan.

Sword & Shield week Switch sold 180,136 in Japan.

If I remember correctly both the Smash hardware bundle and the Pokemon hardware bundle released on that week

The SwordShield hardware bundle was not paired with the game release.

Anyway Sword Shield did ok. Nothing stellar but not horrible either. Somehow very representative of the game itself :D
I do expect it to have better legs though but we will see.

Marth said:
Barkley said:

I agree, I think it will do better globally than it has in Japan. Let's Go did.

Interestingly Let's Go week sold the same hardware as Sword/Shield.

Let's Go week Switch sold 180,585 in Japan.

Sword & Shield week Switch sold 180,136 in Japan.

If I remember correctly both the Smash hardware bundle and the Pokemon hardware bundle released on that week

Anyway Sword Shield did ok. Nothing stellar but not horrible either. Somehow very representative of the game itself :D

Smash bundle released earlier I think? Assuming it launched in america and japan same time anyway.

I don't know about the pokemon bundle, the one I can find is a limited edition one that was $399 which I don't think is the one you're talking about.

think-man said:
That's quite a decline on other mainline Pokemon games. Need to see the digital spread. But it's looking like this will be the worst opening of a mainline title in Japan.

Nope, even without digital its ahead of Gens 1&3 but we have proof that vouchers have caused a huge increase in digital sales so its likely ahead of gens 1-4.

Gen 1-140k

Gen 2-1425k

Gen 3-1245k

Gen 4-1586k

Gen 5-2637k

Gen 6-2096k

Gen 7-1905k

Gen 8-1365k (1700k if 20% digital)

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Barkley said:
Marth said:

Smash bundle released earlier I think? Assuming it launched in america and japan same time anyway.

I don't know about the pokemon bundle, the one I can find is a limited edition one that was $399 which I don't think is the one you're talking about.

You posted an NoA tweet in a discussion about Japan.

The Smash & Let's Go bundles releases alongside Let's Go in Japan and that $399 bundle included the game+Pokeball accessory which was $100

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.