By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Update: Pokemon Sword/Shield sells 2 million in first 3 days in Japan, doubles Switch hardware to 180k

Barkley said:
zorg1000 said:

Why are you using global previous fiscal year when we know the Japan shipped+digital totals & retail sell through total for titles on the voucher program?

I'll have to look them over again but if I recall the digital rate is something like 20% for Mario Maker, 40% for Fire Emblem and 30% for Link's Awakening.

Did not know we had data for Shipped+Digital Japan Only.

Look at the Supplementary info section on Nintendo's IR page, it breaks down shipments between Japan & overseas.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Shiken said:

Thank you for correcting me, I was going off of what I personally have seen.  I will keep this data in mind.

However if you take 16.8% of Pokemon physical sales and add it to retail numbers, you get 2.18 mil with that alone.  Now this is by no means an exact number, but a guesstimate based on the facts you provided.

Add in the current unlnowns from Amazon and Nintendo stores, and my point still stands.

1.36m + 16.8% is 1.59m not 2.18m.

If 16.8% IS the number:

Physical Sales - 1.36m
Digital Sales -  0.27m

Total Sales - 1.63m

Why argue when no-one knows the digital attach rate. Thats why this site is pretty much irrelevant now and has hardly any traffic. We just dont know numbers until they give them to us in quarterlys.

Jranation said:
Barkley said:

???

Previous 3 new gen titles:

Pokemon Black & White - 2.64m
Pokemon X & Y - 2.1m
Pokemon Sun & Moon - 1.9m

How can you say "No impact."

Regardless, even if sales had been amazing, without the "movement" as you call it, sales might have been even higher. 

It seems like Pokemom is on a decline despite having a bigger or lesser hardware sales. We will never know how much sales were lost because of the many issues the game have. It could be as big as 300k or less than 50k. 

Pokemon has been on decline in Japan for a while. Lifetime sales in Japan are basically in release order.

Red/Blue - 7.94m
Gold/Silver - 6.09m
Sapphire/Ruby - 5.34m
Diamond/Pearl - 5.83m
Black/White - 5.49m
X/Y - 4.56m
Sun/Moon - 3.92m

Each generation has sold less than the last, the only exception being Sapphire/Ruby which may be more down to the hardware than the popularity of the games. GBA being short lived and DS being a juggernaut.

Globally the game should fair much better in comparison to previous titles.

Shiken said:
Barkley said:

Uh... no Switch digital sales are much lower than PS4/XBO. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/191031_3e.pdf

Nintendo's Revenue breakdown for software last fiscal year:

Retail Games - 75.2%
Digital Versions of Retail Games - 16.8%
Download Only Titles, Add-On Content & Subscriptions - 8%

If you take out the 8% from Download Only, Add-On's and Online Subscriptions it works out that 18.2% of retail/packaged software revenue comes from digital.

While last fiscal year the "PS4 full game software digital download ratio" was 37%.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/18q4_supplement.pdf

In terms of revenue Nintendo reported 118.8 Billion yen in digital revenue, PlayStation reported 1102 Billion, almost 10 times as much digital revenue.

Thank you for correcting me, I was going off of what I personally have seen.  I will keep this data in mind.

However if you take 16.8% of Pokemon physical sales and add it to retail numbers, you get 2.18 mil with that alone.  Now this is by no means an exact number, but a VERY  ROUGH guestimate based on the facts you provided.

Add in the current unlnowns from Amazon and Nintendo stores, and my point still stands.  So until we have all the facts, it might be best to keep the downplay to a minimum is all I am saying.

Your maths is off :P I don't have a calculator but adding 16.8% of 1.3m won't give you 2.18m.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Shiken said:

However if you take 16.8% of Pokemon physical sales and add it to retail numbers, you get 2.18 mil with that alone.  Now this is by no means an exact number, but a guesstimate based on the facts you provided.

Add in the current unlnowns from Amazon and Nintendo stores, and my point still stands.

1.36m + 16.8% is 1.59m not 2.18m.

If 16.8% IS the number:

Physical Sales - 1.36m
Digital Sales -  0.27m

Total Sales - 1.63m

Damn, decimal was in the wrong spot for my calculation lmao.  That's what I get for trying to post and work at the same time.  🤣

In that case I think Sun/Moon levels are realistic enough when other unknowns are revealed, but not much higher than that.  It will be interesting to see how the legs are for these games.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

zorg1000 said:
Barkley said:

Did not know we had data for Shipped+Digital Japan Only.

Look at the Supplementary info section on Nintendo's IR page, it breaks down shipments between Japan & overseas.

Ahhh, it's literally the next page down from the one I was posting. xD

The problem with these numbers though is that shipped may be quite a bit higher than sold-through, especially for the recent tiles. Famitsu says 250,272 physical sold for fire emblem for end of september. Nintendo say 480k Shipped+Digital.

We have no way of knowing how many of the extra 230k are copies that were sold digitally, or physical copies that have been shipped but not sold yet.

At least with Nintendo's actual digital ratio figures we don't have that problem.

Which older titles were on the voucher program? The older they are the less the difference between shipped/sold-through will matter, so they'll probably give a more accurate percentage.

Smash Bros Ultimate gives a digital ratio of just 11.4%, while the newer titles give ratio's of anywhere from 20-45% but that counts shipped copies as digital sales.

Last edited by Barkley - on 20 November 2019

Barkley said:
zorg1000 said:

The problem with these numbers though is that shipped may be quite a bit higher than sold-through, especially for the recent tiles. Famitsu says 250,272 physical sold for fire emblem for end of september. Nintendo say 480k Shipped+Digital.

We have no way of knowing how many of the extra 230k are copies that were sold digitally, or physical copies that have been shipped but not sold yet.

At least with Nintendo's actual digital ratio figures we don't have that problem.

Which older titles were on the voucher program? The older they are the less the difference between shipped/sold-through will matter, so they'll probably give a more accurate percentage.

Smash Bros Ultimate gives a digital ratio of just 11.4%, while the newer titles give ratio's of anywhere from 20-45% but that counts shipped copies as digital sales.

What? 

In Japan, you can approximated very accurate the total sales. Famistu and Dengenki bring total sales sold x shipped, percentage form. Likewise Fire Emblem.

Agente42 said:
Barkley said:

What? 

In Japan, you can approximated very accurate the total sales. Famistu and Dengenki bring total sales sold x shipped, percentage form. Likewise Fire Emblem.

Yes you can get sold-through from famitsu and shipped+digital from Nintendo... what's your point?

I love the arguments:

“Not as impressive as game X that sold half because the Switch install base is higher now.”

“Not as impressive as Game Y, which sold slightly more. And while Game Y is on a larger install base, that is not relevant.”

This confirmation bias is killing me! 😂

The sales are what they are. In most cases, the initial sales are not the greatest indicator as to what the final sales will be and there’s multiple factors that go into that. Topping the sales of Switch is an impressive number, but it’s not as impressive as past Pokemon games: yes, they did have a higher install base, that is part of their advantage. Writing off that advantage and trying to create some sort of handicap to artificially spin the numbers into something more impressive than they are (or less impressive in the case of some arguing in this thread) is a garbage argument.

Week 1 sales aren’t as relevant as total sales. Once we get into late January or February, we’ll have a better idea of how well this game is doing. Week 1 sales are irrelevant if the game sells better in the long run. So rather than arguing about hypothetical handicap adjustments, why not just compare what happened, and then later on compare what things are trending toward?

Last edited by Jumpin - on 20 November 2019

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.