By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The greatest loser; which console that lost its gen in sales do you love most?

Pyro as Bill said:
When the only memorable games from a gen are Mario 64, OoT and Goldeneye/PD

You're a terrible gamer. Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Resident Evil, Gran Turismo, Tomb Raider, Tekken, Need for Speed, Silent Hill, Majora's Mask, Mario Kart 64, Banjo Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Party, Super Smash Bros.

OT: Gamecube is my vote, though technically it didn't come last, the dreamcast did. But still that's what I'm going with.

If it really has to be last place I guess the options are Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Xbox 360 or WiiU. In which case I'd say the 360 by an absolute landslide.

Last edited by Barkley - on 16 November 2019

Around the Network

Xbox 360.

To me, it's the best console ever. Aside from having the best versions of most multi platform games, aside from blowing me away with hd graphics that finally made he buy a shitty hd TV from Walmart. Aside from the amazing controller--it constantly felt like the future.

Prior to the 360, I didn't even have the internet in my home. I just got it to take advantage of the Xbox's features. Boy, my whole world opened up! Online gaming, downloading games and demos, watching trailers, themes and profile pics, Netflix, ripping CDs, sending messages, planning my day so I could play 1 vs 100 with the rest of the world, Achievements, etc. Even full game installs, HDD support, updating the entire interface, and more. Coming off of the PS2 and GameCube it was a magical time.

I can't see any console which sold over 80 million units as a "loser", so PS3, Xbox360 and PSP are second or third place on the victory podium.

Especially when the second and third place both reached over 80% hardware sales compared to the first place and sold (each) even more software than the first place (PS3 + Xbox 360).

So my favorite losers are the Vita and the N64.

Tie between Megadrive and N64

I LOVE ICELAND!

Dreamcast.

I had a post ready for the PS3 and Xbox 360, but RROD and my own 360 flameout made it all a dirty mess. To distill that abandoned post to it's essence, I think both the PS3 and 360, ( but more so the PS3) were not only good losers, but both a fair bit better than the sales winner. Yes, that will do...

But for a quick, clean pick: Dreamcast baby.
If only it would have had a second analog stick.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

You can kinda consider PS3 being a loser even when it outsold xbox 360 at the end so i'm gonna go with PS3.

GameCube or Wii U. I think they both had some amazing games on them, and Wii U had such an amazing virtual console system that I still play it all the time.

Dreamcast thread? Dreamcast thread.

Such an amazing array of games in a short time, a gargantuan graphics leap, arcade perfect bliss at home, and the real birth of online play on consoles.

Runner up is the Xbox One.

Most of my favs from each gen are the "losers". Gamecube, Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One.

Can't really decide personally. All the ones I named were noteworthy for something and deserved better sales.

I think if the 360 had not had red ring issues it would've beaten out the PS3 in overall sales, but that's not to discredit the comeback the PS3 had.

And as unpopular of an opinion as it is on this site, I still really like the Xbox One.

This one is tough, because some of my favorite systems did not win their generation. The N64 is my answer with some of the best games ever made. But both Gamecube and PS3 are close by for me. The Gamecube didn't have a great Mario game but had some fantastic games in the best Paper Mario game, two excellent Zelda games, Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil 4 was exclusive for awhile, Metroid Prime, the last Animal Crossing game that gave you a bunch of classic NES games to dig up and play!, and one of my favorites creepy game Eternal Darkness and many more! PS3 was the first non Nintendo system that was my favorite system for a generation. Blown away by games like Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, and Last of Us. Just way too many incredible games released for the PS3!