By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Breakdown of my list.

Publisher/developer: Nintendo is my favorite game company, and they dominated my list with 17 games, including three of the top five. A good many of those were Zelda games, as Zelda has been my favorite game series since it started in 1987 and has remained pretty consistently good.

Nintendo: 17
Square Enix, which includes all games published by Square and Enix individually as well as after the merger: 13
Sega: 4
Bandai Namco: 3
Capcom: 2
Game Arts: 2
Midway and Williams: 2
Konami: 2
Level-5: 2 developed, with one published by Bandai Namco and one published by Square Enix
Obsidian: 1
id Software: 1
Origin Systems: 1
Datasoft: 1

By primary platform:
PS1: 8
Switch: 7
PS2: 5
SNES/SFC: 5*
PS3: 5
Arcade: 4
Gamecube: 3
N64: 3
PC: 2
DS: 1*
NES: 1

* overlap in platform. I played Trials of Mana (#38) on Switch, and Dragon Quest V (#43) on DS, even though both games were originally SFC games

The Switch titles tended to be at the higher end of my list, while PS1 and PS2 titles were more evenly distributed.

By genre: RPGs dominated my list, with action-adventures and strategy RPGs also making a good showing.

Around the Network

I want to complain and it looks like this is the only place to do so appropriately.

Remember the sign-up thread? I wanted to post something like "Hey, is it too late to sign up for this?" there on December 31st, but the thread was disappointingly taken down already. What do raccoons have against being trolled?

Also, thought your list was pretty good, @Mnementh! In addition to the titles we both included, congrats on picking the likes of Katamari Damacy, Day of the Tentacle, The Secret of Monkey Island, and Pillars of Eternity for mentions, among others!

Jaicee said:

Also, thought your list was pretty good, @Mnementh! In addition to the titles we both included, congrats on picking the likes of Katamari Damacy, Day of the Tentacle, The Secret of Monkey Island, and Pillars of Eternity for mentions, among others!

Thanks. I like that your list contains so many indies. I myself have Obra Dinn and This War of Mine on my list for playing, but so much else is is there too. Also your list reminded me that Beyond Good and Evil was a great game. Why don't I have it on my list? I totally forgot.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

Thanks. I like that your list contains so many indies. I myself have Obra Dinn and This War of Mine on my list for playing, but so much else is is there too. Also your list reminded me that Beyond Good and Evil was a great game. Why don't I have it on my list? I totally forgot.

Yeah, I love lots of indies, it's true. People often complain that there's so much redundancy to this generation of games, but I think if people paid more attention to the explosion of titles we've seen from outside the AAA landscape in particular this decade, they wouldn't necessarily feel that way.

Anyway, you won't be disappointed in either of those games. I really believe that, in addition to it's unique and satisfying style of play and highly appealing visual style, Return of the Obra Dinn offers one of the best stories we've seen in gaming this year.

And for This War of Mine, you know what, for all of the multitude of war-themed games that get released, it's exceedingly rare to find one that takes place from the perspective of civilians just trying to survive conflict. That amazes me because today's wars are primarily fought not on proper battlefields anymore, but right in the middle of urban centers where civilians are everywhere. Most of the people who die in wars anymore are civilians, not soldiers. And this survival tale has a really compelling authenticity to it that frankly many games just don't.

Around the Network

My busy Holiday schedule made me miss out of posting about my Top 20 games. I might do it still, if only for myself. To be continued...

Signature goes here!

Date Game
Grand Theft Auto 3. (Playstation 2) #50
The Settlers 2. - 10th Anniversary. (PC) #49
Dragon Age: Inquisition. (PC) #48
Dragon Age. (PC) #47
The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. (PC) #46
Portal 2. (PC) #45
The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. (PC) #44
Half Life 2. (PC) #43
Fallout 3. (PC) #42
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. (PC) #41
Zelda: Breath of the Wild. (Wii U) #40
Black and White 2. (PC) #39
Dungeon Keeper 2. (PC) #38
The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening. (Nintendo Switch) #37
Unreal Turnament 2003. (PC) #36
Quake 3. (PC) #35
Super Metroid. (Super Nintendo) #34
Donkey Kong Country 2. (Super Nintendo) #33
Lufia 2. (Super Nintendo) #32
Donkey Kong Country. (Super Nintendo) #31
Goldeneye 007. (Nintendo 64) #30
Perfect Dark. (Nintendo 64) #29
Killer Instinct. (Super Nintendo) #28
Final Fantasy 8. (Playstation) #27
Defence Grid. (PC) #26
Heroes of Might and Magic V. (PC) #25
Company of Heroes 2. (PC) #24
Company of Heroes. (PC) #23
Battlezone 2. (PC) #22
Homeworld 2. (PC) #21
Homeworld. (PC) #20
Freespace 2. (PC) #19
Freelancer. (PC) #18
Alpha Centauri. (PC) #17
Master of Orion 2. (PC) #16
Sins of a Solar Empire. (PC) #15
Age of Empires 2 HD remastered. (PC) #14
Age of Empires: The Definitive Edition. (PC) #13
Overwatch. (PC) #12
Diablo 2. (PC) #11
StarCraft Remastered. (PC) #10
Minecraft. (PC) #9
Fable 2. (Xbox 360) #8
Fable: The Lost Chapters. (PC) #7
Halo Wars. (Xbox 360.) #6
Halo 4. (Xbox 360) #5
Halo 2. (Original Xbox) #4
Halo: Combat Evolved. (PC) #3
Halo 3. (Xbox 360) #2
Sacrifice. (PC) #1

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Oh so I have to specify the system. My list is complete but I didn't specify the system. I'll edit my post in official list thread in a day or two.

mZuzek said:
sethnintendo said:
Oh so I have to specify the system. My list is complete but I didn't specify the system. I'll edit my post in official list thread in a day or two.

You also have Resident Evil 4 at two different spots in the list, which isn't the coolest thing.

My bad.  I'll just throw a wasted vote in there for some obscure game no one will vote for.

mZuzek said:

Okay, it's calling out time.

@Jpcc86

My bad. Already completed.