By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

SanAndreasX said:
I got kind of behind on this due to the holidays.

6. The map of the world is part of this game's meta-puzzle
5. You're a teacher, pick your classroom
4. Your mother sends you to your uncle the King for help. Instead, he declares that you're an enemy of the state.
3. A wolf gets stuck with a pet cat.

#5: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Bloodborne (PlayStation 4)

Change From Last Year: +1

As far as I'm concerned, Bloodborne is the best game of this console generation. I replayed it earlier this year, and even more than the first time playing through it, I realized just how truly exceptional the game really is. From the gorgeous visual design and remarkably clever world design, to the fast-paced and tense gameplay and some of the most interesting lore I've ever encountered in video games, there's practically nothing I don't love about Bloodborne.

There's an almost unrivaled sense of mystery and discovery in FromSoftware's games, and Bloodborne is a masterpiece in that regard as well. There's always something more to see, something that builds the world and reveals new details about its history and people.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Change From Last Year: =

The game that introduced me to The Legend of Heroes games, and still the best one I've played from it. Trails in the Sky is genuinely one of the best JRPGs I've ever played, with a wonderfully written story and cast of characters that balances serious issues with touches of humour wonderfully. The battle system is excellent as well, with an impressive amount of depth if you're willing to invest in learning its intricacies. I also love the connections between the different sub-series within The Legend of Heroes games, which gives the games a sense of belonging to a larger whole, while still telling their own self-contained stories.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
S.Peelman said:

From the best handheld game ever to the best game in a certain genre.

EDIT: And my game post was the last one of the previous page again. I hate that.

#4: Most people cannot stand a certain sound in this game. However, I say, if you don't want to hear it, you'll just have to get good.

Dark Souls?

Hiku said:

I just spent a few hours hearing Mr X's footsteps in REmake 2. Giving me PTSD.
But I'm guessing it's something Dark Souls related, like the game over screen.

Heh seems like there’s a sound in Dark Souls that will get on your nerves as well. I have it on Switch, but haven’t played it yet. I guess I’ll be prepared.

In this case though, Dark Souls is incorrect.

Landale_Star said:

Yoshi's Island?

You have it right. I was talking about the cries of Baby Mario whenever you get hit by something.

Yoshi’s Island is correct!

One game left to guess.

#5 Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Octopath Traveler

#4 Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Pandora's Tower

#3 Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Katamari Damacy

a) It's all an illusion.

b) Similar to my #1, this game is in a series of spin-off games of a much older gaming series. It is the second installment.

#1 Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Heroes of Might and Magic III

Last edited by Mnementh - on 28 December 2019

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

SanAndreasX said:

4. Your mother sends you to your uncle the King for help. Instead, he declares that you're an enemy of the state.

6. FFVI? The world is square.

3. Twilight Princess? I don't think this correct but it's got a wolf.

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:

3: Okami

mZuzek said:

So... well, here we are. Persona 5 was probably the "main event" this year on my list, despite being at #3. Maybe it showed, what with that insanely long review and all - don't worry, the next two will have shorter ones! Persona 5 was the highest newcomer, so I had a lot more to talk about it than the next couple of games because those have been here for a while now. I'm going to travel on the 30th, and still have a lot of spreadsheet work to do, so if you'll excuse me, I will get finished with my list a couple of days ahead of schedule. I'm not too proud of it, but well, let's go.

#2 - The game begins with the main character waking up from some weird nightmares.

2: Skyward Sword

Not #1? Makes me doubt myself...

mZuzek said:
S.Peelman said:

2: Skyward Sword

Not #1? Makes me doubt myself...

#2 is Skyward Sword, yes. Come on dude, we've been here before.

Oh right lol, I remember now.

mZuzek said:

Well, I guess there's no need to try to maintain any mystery now.

#1 - You know it.

Now I hope I remember it right, otherwise I'd look pretty dumb.

Okami.

mZuzek said:
S.Peelman said:

Now I hope I remember it right, otherwise I'd look pretty dumb.

Okami.

That took long enough to make it a bit suspicious, hmm...

Well, yeah, it is Okami.

I didn't look I swear.

And pfew.