By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Darashiva said:

#8: Power Stone? I can't remember if it was actually released that early, but I know it came out in the arcades before it came to the Dreamcast.

Nope.  

Mnementh said:

OK, now we can start with hints for TOP 10 games.

#12 Guessed by Jpcc86: Baldur's Gate

#11 Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Demon's Souls

a) This DOS game set standards for the time with voice acting.

#9 Guessed by Keybladewielder: Okami

a) Play as a wolf.

#8 Guessed by Keybladewielder: Xenoblade Chronicles

a) "Long ago, the world was nothing more than an endless sea cloaked in a boundless sky, reaching as far as could possibly be imagined."

10.  Wing Commander 3?  

Nope.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Another hint

#10 Guessed by S.Peelman: Star Wars: Dark Forces

b) In difference to some other shooters of the time, you only could save between mission, but you had multiple lifes.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 20 December 2019

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:

Another hint

b) In difference to some other shooters of the time, you only could save between mission, but you had multiple lifes.

10: Dark Forces?

S.Peelman said:
Mnementh said:

Another hint

10: Dark Forces?

Correct!

Dark Souls II (PlayStation 3)

Change From Last Year: =

Dark Souls II is often considered the black sheep of the series, mostly because Hidetaka Miyazaki served only as a supervisor rather than directing the game as he's done with all the other Soulsborne games. And to a certain extent I agree, it is the weakest game in the Dark Souls-series, but that doesn't make it a bad game by any stretch. It is exactly because it feels so different from the other games in the series that I like it so much. The world design is different, the story is clearly distinct from the other two Dark Souls games, although it still obviously connected to them. 

If I'd have to complain about something in the game, then it's the overabundance of mediocre boss fights. There are still a lot of amazing bosses in Dark Souls II, but there's also a lot more forgettable and average ones than in the other games as well, and I think a lot of that is because there's just way too many bosses in the game in general. It's almost double the number of bosses in the first game, and as a result many of them just aren't very good. Besides that though, this is still an excellent game in my opinion.

My Most Recent Articles:

1. The $70 Lie

2. Video Game Music Spotlight #16: Exploring the World

3. Forgotten Gems #11: Uniracers/Unirally

For my non-video game related writings you can check my blog below.

Latest Post: Disney Canon: Dumbo (1941)

Around the Network

Guessed by @Ultrashroomz

So, continuing on from the injustice, here we have Smash Ultimate. Easily the best Smash game ever both in terms of competitive play and casual play, and arguably the best when it comes to single-player content too. The game where EVERYONE IS HERE, meaning everyone in terms of previous Smash characters, but with a roster so stupidly thorough it feels like literally everyone is in there for real. 80 fighters, 100 stages, 1000 songs, and counting - the amount of content in here is absolutely staggering, and when you combine that with the fast-paced gameplay, fun mechanics and great character balance, you end up with what can only be considered a masterpiece of fighting games. It even looks great too, with nearly every stage having been given a visual overhaul (a first for the Smash series), and running at a locked 60fps at 1080p filled with gorgeous particle effects and lighting, on top of the vivid animations every character has. There really is nothing like it.

And yet... I don't know why, but I don't feel as hyped about Smash now as I used to in the past. This game doesn't mean as much to me as Smash 4 did, and I suppose that makes sense given it's only had a quarter of the lifecycle so far - meaning a quarter of the experiences and memories that live on with me -, but it feels strange. A lot of it might just be down to how annoying it can be to play competitively: by making every character strong, they've come up with a rather well balanced game, but it also means that every character can be oppressive when you're on the receiving end, and when you feel helpless in defeat it's always frustrating. Not that that's the game's fault, anyway, but it is an aspect which maybe twists my view on it. Conversely, I've had more fun playing casually than ever before in this game, in large part thanks to the hazards toggle and the stage morph, which added a lot of options for fun-but-not-bullshit stages.

No matter what, though, Smash is Smash. I might be talking all about how I'm not as hyped about it as before or whatever, but the reality is that I still play this on a near-daily basis, I have over 1000 hours of play time in just a year, I've already made new friends in that time, and have already made memories with it too. Sure, Arsene is busted, but hey, him being in the game at all is super cool - I couldn't possibly count how many matches I've already played to the sound of Rivers in the Desert. So, yeah, here it is. Two Smash games on my list this year, both lower than ever on it, but I still love them to death. I don't know, there's a side of me that wants to just get rid of all multiplayer games next year... It's really, really hard to compare them to single-player experiences. But, on we go.

We're already this close to the top ten, so here's are the first hints for the next five games on my list:
-The main characters entire existence before the start of the game was as a dream
#9:
-Fires fade, and the unkindled rise from their graves to seek the lords who fled their duty
#8:
-Welcome, good hunter
#7:
-An organization called Ouroboros puts its plans in motion, just as our two main characters begin their journey to become true Bracers.
#6:
-As the giants of these cursed lands fall, the chains of a demon begin to break

My Most Recent Articles:

1. The $70 Lie

2. Video Game Music Spotlight #16: Exploring the World

3. Forgotten Gems #11: Uniracers/Unirally

For my non-video game related writings you can check my blog below.

Latest Post: Disney Canon: Dumbo (1941)

#12 Baldur's Gate
guessed by Jpcc86
platform Windows/Switch
release year 1998
developer/publisher BioWare/Black Isle Studios/Interplay Entertainment
genre RPG
links Wikipedia
past years 2018: #12
2017: #9

Baldur's Gate is one of the best attempts to bring a Dungeons&Dragons round to a video game. it had D&D license and made a lot of stuff very truthfully to the source material. For this game the Infinity engine was developed, which was the base for a lot of similar games, including the sequel Baldur's Gate II, but also Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale.

As in a D&D round you gather a party of individual adventurers and step out in the world to exterminate evil… or get rich… or both. You create your main character, following the D&D rules, but the other characters you find in the game and include them into your party, if you want. But once they are part of your group, you control them all directly. In combat things happen in real-time and you can give orders. If you are overwhelmed (and probably a good idea at the start of battle), you can pause the action to give direct orders. This can be in very fine detail, including which enemy to target, which spell to cast or which weapon to use.

Also outside of battles the game uses D&D rules, for instance for stealth, for pickpocket or for other interactions.

The characters are also great in this game. Who doesn't remember Minsc and his miniature giant space hamster Boo? Look, how lovely they are:

Modern games like Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera or Divinity took inspiration from this games and the follow-ups.

The game got an Enhanced Edition some time back (also including console versions), which probably is the best way to play it these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiAsHuRO_Ao

Red dead redemption 1 (Xbox 360)

This is the only rockstar game that I really liked, although it is worth mentioning Bully and LA noire.
But being special is not enough to place it in my 15th place, but it is a game that no matter how much I play it without encouragement, it ends up surprising me with its thousand details and especially that exceptional ending.

Portal 2 (Xbox360)

I really think that portal 1 is better for being the first one but I ended up deciding on 2 since the first one is very short and I felt that basically there was no difference between the two.
I must say that both are simply perfect.

Demon's Souls (PS3)

I don't care what they say, demon's soul is my favorite, it created a totally new genre for me and the dark souls didn't get me.
Demon's soul is a game that made such an impression on me that today I remember every moment.

Dead Space (Xbox360)

This game is as linear as if it were kept only in one spectrum of emotions (There is only tension) and I Fucking love it.
Anyone who touches it will never forget it unless they play 2 or 3 LOL.

#13 - Top Gear 2 (SNES): As a kid, I had the first game for SNES. However, some years later, I could finally play the second game with a friend, and we loved it! We spend a lot of days trying to beat Top Gear 2. By the way, this game is a huge improvement over the first one. Now you can even purchase upgrades for your car.