By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Farsala said: 

New hints:

9- This entry is the 4th game in this now long running series. It is like the 3rd game in this series but worse, and the 7th game in this series but better. A notable change from the 3rd game is the voice acting is more professional. One example is a general is voiced by Steven Blum, a famous voice actor for many games and anime series with credits like Spike in Cowboy Bebop, Tom from Toonami and Sub Zero in Mortal Kombat.

8- This is one of the most played games in the world, if not the most. Probably the most important game of the last decade.

7- This game features a character with a name based on an old greek society. While it is not the first in the series, it features a more robust campaign which features both humans and aliens.

9: Somehow makes me think of Command & Conquer.. what’s the fourth one? Red Alert 2?

8: Minecraft?

I feel like could know 7. Maybe.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

So, 5 out of my top 10 have been #1 at some point in time, though not necessarily in one of the "official" lists I've posted here. The other 5 have never been called my favorite game ever, but they have all come close enough that they had me saying "THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!" even if I never actually considered them #1. This next one is one of these.

#9 - "When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life! Take the lemons back!"

Portal 2 - God bless Cave Johnson!

Signature goes here!

Hiku said:
Keybladewielder said:

#17 - Suikoden V?

You got it.

S.Peelman said:

Heh, yeah without that last sentence it could’ve been a couple of things. It was Twilight Princess, the crowd went nuts as soon as a realistic looking Link came on screen. I’ve never played the original Final Fantasy VII. It’s one of my gaming sins, like I also never played Chrono Trigger or Shadow of the Colossus. Not sure if I should play the FFVII remake, I don’t think it’d get me the satisfaction it should give if you’ve played the original.

Also, I feel like I’m only able to guess Zelda games from people’s hints lately;

16: Majora’s Mask?

Yeah, once I got to the last sentence, I realized it was Twilight Princess. I also considered Shenmue 3 for a brief moment, but it seems people generally don't like it enough to have it that high up on their list. I do remember the crowd outburst for Twilight Princess though. Since these are different times, for FF7 I was able to also see the reaction from youtubers, and gaming journalists, etc. People were doubting it was actually a game until they saw the word Remake flash across the screen. Some were crying, etc. https://youtu.be/H_RXllIUoow?t=146

Yeah, it may very well not be as enjoyable if you haven't played the original. It'd be impossible for me to determine that since I'll go into it with the experience of the original in mind. And right now, a big part of the appeal for me is because of that. Chrono Trigger is a pretty big sin though. =o I think it still holds up very well today with its 2D sprite work. And the soundtrack is also still amazing to listen to today.

Speaking of time traveling games, yeah, you got the Majora's Mask reference.
Tried to keep it a bit vague with the milk thing, since not everyone got the Fierce Deity Mask.

#19 - A play about a canary.
#18 - Take the A button from a keyboard, and put it next to the Delete button.
Hint 2: The name of a character.
#17 - Fifth installment of a Jrpg series. It takes place before the events of the first one.
Hint 2: You can recruit many characters.
#16 - Drinking some milk before the final boss fight can really help out.
#15 - A murder mystery involving TVs.

#14 - To fight you have to shoot yourself in the head with a gun.
#13 - The third and final game in a trilogy. The main character was featured as a guest character in a Nintendo game a few years ago.
#12 - The antagonist's name was stolen from another character, after stealing the body of yet another character. This is the second game in that rpg series.
#11 - A Jrpg that takes place in our world. Primarily Europe and asia. This is the first game in that series.

#14 - Persona 3?

#11 - Valkyria Chronicles 1?

Hiku said: 

(..) Chrono Trigger is a pretty big sin though. =o I think it still holds up very well today with its 2D sprite work. And the soundtrack is also still amazing to listen to today. (..)

It’s probably because it wasn’t released in Europe on SNES. Otherwise my aunt would’ve had it (she had all the big RPG’s that were), and I would’ve played it. I tried to get it on DS later on, because the DS rerelease was released here, but it was gone from stores before I knew it. Never to return. Maybe one day I’ll be able to get a second hand copy to play. I know there’s like Virtual Console and emulators and stuff, but that’s not “real”. There’s a long list of stuff, even all time classics, I missed over the past few decades lol.

#11 - Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage (PS1): I discovered the Spyro trilogy pretty late, it was around 2013, I think. And it turned out to be one of my favorite series on Playstation. Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage is a great sequel to the first game, however it's probably the shortest of the trilogy. Even so, the gameplay is solid and a lot of fun. And of course, the soundtrack is still very good.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Farsala said: 

New hints:

9- This entry is the 4th game in this now long running series. It is like the 3rd game in this series but worse, and the 7th game in this series but better. A notable change from the 3rd game is the voice acting is more professional. One example is a general is voiced by Steven Blum, a famous voice actor for many games and anime series with credits like Spike in Cowboy Bebop, Tom from Toonami and Sub Zero in Mortal Kombat.

8- This is one of the most played games in the world, if not the most. Probably the most important game of the last decade.

7- This game features a character with a name based on an old greek society. While it is not the first in the series, it features a more robust campaign which features both humans and aliens.

9: Somehow makes me think of Command & Conquer.. what’s the fourth one? Red Alert 2?

8: Minecraft?

I feel like could know 7. Maybe.

Nope on both. Red Alert 2 was already my #44 and Red Alert Retaliation was my #27. This game is not too strategic, but it does make many entries in my list.

8 is as big as Minecraft, if not bigger worldwide. Certainly mega fans play it more than mega fans on Minecraft, as it has more depth.

7 is the last FPS on my list.

Guessed by Mnementh

The game that made The Legend of Zelda relevant again, or maybe even moreso than it ever was at its peak. My anticipation for this game started all the way back in 2011 when Nintendo showed a very good looking demo at E3. It kind of stole the thunder of then still to be released Skyward Sword. From then on I waited, my entire experience with WiiU was waiting for it's big Zelda game. But it got delayed and delayed. Luckily I liked how it looked when it was first revealed in 2014. Different from what was shown in 2011, but still pretty. When it finally did release, my eyes opened as wide as the game world does when you first walk out of the cave and look into the distance. If you'd remember, the rainy opening of 'A Link to the Past' (#29) blew my mind as a kid. This was a similar experience, even if I was over 20 years older now. And I knew, this game will be one amazing ride. 

A new colour for the top 10. Next game, on to the single digits.

#9: This game has an expansion pack that implies there's going to be a traffic jam, ironically this expansion pack actually mostly includes stuff to prevent that.

Farsala said:

Nope on both. Red Alert 2 was already my #44 and Red Alert Retaliation was my #27. This game is not too strategic, but it does make many entries in my list.

8 is as big as Minecraft, if not bigger worldwide. Certainly mega fans play it more than mega fans on Minecraft, as it has more depth.

7 is the last FPS on my list.

8 is Grand Theft Auto V then maybe.

S.Peelman said:
Mnementh said:

As I will be absent over christmas I drop now hints for a few upcoming games.

#10 Guessed by S.Peelman: Star Wars: Dark Forces

#9 Guessed by Keybladewielder: Okami

#8 Guessed by Keybladewielder: Xenoblade Chronicles

a) Remake of the first game in the series with a new added story mode, extended graphics and new features and the new engine of the fourth game on a new system.

a) Being a japanese Pop-Idol as cover to fight mirages that threaten the people.

a) Break their defenses!

a) Lift the curse of the beast on your loved one.

Without checking if these make sense;

7: Resident Evil Remake?

6: TMS#FE?

TMS#FE is correct, but not #7.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]