By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

#10 Star Wars: Dark Forces
guessed by S.Peelman
platform DOS
release year 1995
developer/publisher LucasArts
genre shooter
links Wikipedia
past years 2018: #10
2017: #10

Dark Forces is a first person shooter based on the foundation Doom layed, and it is a really good one. It has some technological advancements in the engine like looking up and down and some fog effects. It has also a much more consistent world as other shooters of the time, basically because it is based on the already established Star Wars universe. The level design is great, the mission briefing is made well with actors voicing their roles. This is a pretty good shooter.

You are playing Kyle Katarn who works as a mercenary for the rebels. And you are tasked with finding out more about the new Dark Trooper project of the Imperials. In the missions you find more out about it and then go on to stop it.

The game shows memorable locations and has pretty good events layed out in the missions. Another point keeping you on you're toes is, that you can only save between missions, but got multiple lifes. So no save scumming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPGhsy-L7vc

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

More hints:

#9 Guessed by Keybladewielder: Okami

#8 Guessed by Keybladewielder: Xenoblade Chronicles

a) Remake of the first game in the series with a new added story mode, extended graphics and new features and the new engine of the fourth game on a new system.

b) Frozen for 1000 years.

#6 Guessed by S.Peelman: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

a) Break their defenses!

b) Unique artstyle in a mix of old and new.

a) Lift the curse of the beast on your loved one.

b) Get the flesh.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

#9 Ōkami
guessed by Keybladewielder
platform PS2/Wii/Switch
release year 2006
developer/publisher Clover Studio/Capcom
genre action adventure
links Wikipedia
past years 2018: #8
2017: #12

Okami is a beautiful game with a classic story and excellent gameplay. It feels just great to roam around as a wolf, fight demons and help the people free the land from the demonic influences. You play as the sun goddess Ameratasu in the form of the white wolf Shiranui and you wield the godly brush with which you can influence the environment: you can make plants bloom, put the sun in the sky, repair broken stuff and so on.

The game looks absolutely gorgeous. I think never saw I used the cel shading technique used in a better way. There are so many details in this too. Running with the wolf makes grass grow in your path.

Gameplay is somewhat close to the Zelda formula, although you obviously doesn't wield a sword. But you have to solve quests, fight enemies and find secret stuff to overall free the land and bring nature back. This includes some interesting boss fights. Besides that you explore the lands. Movement is so fluid, alone running and jumping around is quite fun.

Sadly the title released at the end of the PS2 lifetime did not great and Capcom closed down Clover Studios after this title. Still, the game developed a cult following and always did great with the reviewers, so over time Capcom rereleased the title again and again. So now you can play it basically everywhere - and you totally should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhnhRfTzRnw

Last edited by Mnementh - on 23 December 2019

S.Peelman said:
Farsala said:

Nope on both. Red Alert 2 was already my #44 and Red Alert Retaliation was my #27. This game is not too strategic, but it does make many entries in my list.

8 is as big as Minecraft, if not bigger worldwide. Certainly mega fans play it more than mega fans on Minecraft, as it has more depth.

7 is the last FPS on my list.

8 is Grand Theft Auto V then maybe.

Nope, GTA V is small fry compared to this game. This game has 111m MONTHLY players, which is actually higher than Minecrafts 91m.

#8 Xenoblade Chronicles
guessed by Keybladewielder
platform Wii
release year 2010
developer/publisher Monolith Soft/Nintendo
genre action RPG
links Wikipedia
past years 2018: #7
2017: #6

Xenoblade Chronicles holds the magic of exploration in a unique setting and with an engaging story. This is one of the great masterpiece on the Wii. It is also magic, how the relatively low spec hardware on Wii was able to create such an incredibly big world.

As the game in the intro showed me these giants and zoomed in to show all the creatures living there, the people living there, the different biomes, in that moment I was already won over by this game. In each new region you can look around and see hints that indicate which part of the titan you're currently on. And this is awesome. This is especially true, if you go to the leg the first time and these gigantic plains open to you - and you realize that is only one leg. That is awe inspiring.

Although I am usually more a fan of turn based RPG, this battle system works quite well and gives a lot of depth. Especially when you learn how Melia's attacks work, this is pretty cool. The story is is an incredible epic tale, of fighting gods and the fate of humanity.

This is an incredible game, a timeless classic and it is no wonder people were excited about the announcement of the Definitve Edition on Switch. I know I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLEkwIvfOO4

Around the Network

Before I am less often on the Internet the next days, a couple of last hints.

#7 Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Etrian Odyssey Untolf: The Millenium Girl

a) Remake of the first game in the series with a new added story mode, extended graphics and new features and the new engine of the fourth game on a new system.

c) One of the best RPGs on the 3DS.

#5 Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Octopath Traveler

a) Break their defenses!

c) Follow the story of multiple protagonists.

#4 Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Pandora's Tower

b) Get the flesh.

c) A chain is useful in many ways - for climbing, fighting, pulling switches, binding enemies…

Last edited by Mnementh - on 24 December 2019

Time for the second hint;

#9: This game has an expansion pack that implies there's going to be a traffic jam, ironically this expansion pack actually mostly includes stuff to prevent that.
#9 (Hint 2): And then, even if the infoview shows the road in red, you hardly really see any congestion. Oh well, at least the monorail and the ferries are cool to build.

Farsala said:
Farsala said:

All correctly guessed :).

15- Age of Mythology

14- Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII

13- Dynasty Tactics 2

Been busy and on hiatus, but it is finally the weekend and a little bit more time. Here are my paragraph hints...

12- This game was originally a PS2 exclusive and is the start of a great series of games. Like game #13 it features tactical gameplay. The series most recent entry on the PS4 was one of the reasons I bothered to buy a PS4. Luckily for Switch owners, this game and its most recent entry also graced the system and hopefully factored in a few of their purchases.

11- While the first game was more action based, this game tried to mimic Pokemon with turn based combat. Except instead of it being 1v1, it was 3v3. Even capturing was similar with using certain items that increase the probability of capture. The more unique features were the odd dungeon crawling design and the level capping, without meeting certain conditions.

10- While not turn based combat like the first 10 games, this entry still features strategy in its gameplay. There are 6 characters and a few guest characters to join you, often when I got guest characters to join I would grind up my main 3 and my off team of 3 by doing the side quest hunts. While doing some of these side quests I would happen upon random bosses and after beating them, be able to summon them.

12- Disgaea

11- Digimon World 2            Unguessed

10- Final Fantasy XII

New hints:

9- This entry is the 4th game in this now long running series. It is like the 3rd game in this series but worse, and the 7th game in this series but better. A notable change from the 3rd game is the voice acting is more professional. One example is a general is voiced by Steven Blum, a famous voice actor for many games and anime series with credits like Spike in Cowboy Bebop, Tom from Toonami and Sub Zero in Mortal Kombat.

8- This is one of the most played games in the world, if not the most. Probably the most important game of the last decade.

7- This game features a character with a name based on an old greek society. While it is not the first in the series, it features a more robust campaign which features both humans and aliens.

Time for reveal, also had some time at work to write some love for them, will maybe have time later for the others.

11- Digimon World 2
A game very much unlike it`s predecessor. While as a kid I was very confused at first with how to deal with my digimon no longer getting any xp. I quickly found out I had to use items to capture more digimon and dna digivolve them together to create a new digimon. The digimon often digivolved in very unexpected ways, but it soon became obvious that there was an intricate system in place not unlike Persona games. As I went through the game and discovered more about the system I was addicted in finding the perfect combos as this was a 3v3 turn based JRPG. Having a fast guy able to heal or interrupt the enemy moves was valuable, and multihit skills were very important. My absolute favorite digimon was not even an important digimon in the tv series. Okuwamon hit all 3 enemies and and lowered all of their defense in one attack, while being ridiculously fast and strong.

9- Dynasty Warriors 4
This game was a continuation to one of my favorite games with more of the same greatness. But it was slightly worse due to being overall easier, and most characters had the exact same campaign within the kingdom with a little bit different starting positions. This game does feature a decent duel system and whenever you duel a tough rival they can get boosts just like you and be quite the challenge. The game also had different strategy, with morale becoming easier to control just by following history. The bodyguards were more specialized but their weren`t enough. The weapon and item system were also a bit more simple. More positives for the game is that the voice acting was professional and top notch with some of my favorites in the game. The siege weapons were more of a thing rather than completely forgotten in DW3. More characters than DW3 of course and although fodder fighting was a bit worse, I think the 1v1 officer fighting was on par or better.

8- League of Legends
This game I discovered pretty late along with my college roommate. The ads for the game made it seem like a pathetic browser game, but we were very wrong. The game features fast paced combat and strategy while you control 1 of 5 characters in 5v5 pvp/ My favorite champion was Pantheon, he looks like a spartan greek warrior and acts like one. Going in early like a man meant you completely destroyed them. His ultimate ability is a semi global ability in which he can traverse a third of the map almost instantly. By doing this you let them know you are coming so, sometimes I might go in 1v3 or worse like a true crazy warrior and try to outplay them (if I was fed enough). That was just one champion, and I played many more and enjoyed most of them. They all play differently and against different enemies gameplay is always different. It is quite the time sync, so eventually I had to have some self control and not play it, in order to enjoy other things in life. But one could legitimately just play this game and many people do.

7- Halo 2
While I often prefer single player games on console, this game was one of the exceptions. Playing this game`s campaign on co-op mode was an early pleasure of me and my buddies. We would rent this game for hundreds of dollars worth over the months and everytime we hung out to play through the campaign. At some point I wanted to beat the game on legendary, and in this game there are snipers that instant kill you no matter where they strike. It was one of my pleasures beating this game on legendary and meticulously taking out each enemy one by one. We found the multiplayer much later in the game, and we did not have Xbox Live, because who pays for that? (haha) Even so LAN parties were ridiculously fun whether it be just 3 or 4 of us. It only got boring when one of us got too good with certain weapons, so we had to spice it up by doing SMG only games or grenade only and etc. Without a doubt the best game on any Xbox system, and I am glad to have owned an Original Xbox.

Time to supply some more clues:

8. a) Most people in the mid-90's went to the arcade to play fighting games, but I mostly went to play this 4-player beat'em up from Capcom.  First in the series.
b) Dungeons and Dragons.

7.  I've only played this simple little Japanese game on the PS2, but it also has a newer version on the Switch with a brand new, optional, control scheme.

6.  Davy Crockett flies.

5.  This 90's strategy series is a spinoff of an even older RPG series.  Second entry.

FYI, here are how well each person has done with guessing my entries so far.

Correct guesses Player
14 Mnementh
10 SanAndreasX
9 S.Peelman
6 Landale Star
2 Jpcc86
1 Bofferbrauer2
1 Filix

S.Peelman said:
Time for the second hint;

#9: This game has an expansion pack that implies there's going to be a traffic jam, ironically this expansion pack actually mostly includes stuff to prevent that.
#9 (Hint 2): And then, even if the infoview shows the road in red, you hardly really see any congestion. Oh well, at least the monorail and the ferries are cool to build.

Sim City 4

Mnementh said:

Before I am less often on the Internet the next days, a couple of last hints.

c) One of the best RPGs on the 3DS.

a) Break their defenses!

c) Follow the story of multiple protagonists.

b) Get the flesh.

c) A chain is useful in many ways - for climbing, fighting, pulling switches, binding enemies…

7. Etrian Odyssey 1, the 3DS version

5. Octopath Traveler

4. Pandora's Tower