By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Darashiva said:

SanAndreasX said:
My next three:

20. Sequel to 19.

19. A boy and his cat bring democracy to the moon

Hint # 2: Originally appeared on Sega CD.

18. I saw one of this SNES game's most famous scenes sung in Omaha on March 21, 2013, which was the composer's birthday. I got to meet the composer in person and he autographed one of his games for me.

18. Final Fantasy VI

Correct!

Around the Network
#27 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
guessed by S.Peelman
platform 3DS
release year 2000
developer/publisher Nintendo
genre action adventure
links Wikipedia
past years 2018: #23
2017: #18

Well, technically I played Majora's Mask 3D. I never played the original, as back then I didn't play on console. Nevertheless, this is a great game. It is very unique among the Zelda games, as it has a very different, much darker, but also much stranger atmosphere. And I like that.

The basic gameplay as you are used from Zelda. You whack monsters, solve puzzles or problems, find items and finally beat the end-boss. But this game mixes up the formula quite a bit. You only have three days, but with your Ocarina you can turn back time. The NPCs have schedules and certain events happen at the same time, so you can affect these events if you turn back time and wait for the right moment. Also you have masks which help you transform into different forms.

Overall this is a great experience and therefore one of the best Zelda games (which are mostly all great). The 3DS-versions has manyupgrades over the original, not only graphically, so this is the version to go if you wanna experience it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj6cXziHpjQ

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

SanAndreasX said:
Darashiva said:
Alright, the top 20 is getting close, so here are hints for the next five games on my list:
#20:
-The lead designer of this game later went on to later found Gas Powered Games and create a spiritual sequel to this game
#16:
-The main character in this JRPG is a member of a guild of Bracers, people who handle various jobs around the country. The second game in this series.

20. Total Annihilation

16. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter

Correct on both.

Hint 1: Among the characters in the game, there are now also a bee and a caterpillar.
Hint 2: First game in the franchise in which you can go underwater.
Hint 3: You can also fly now! Well, not really, but you can float in the air for a while.

Hint 1: Yellow helmet.
Hint 2: Got a sequel this year.

Hint 1: This game has lots of different names. Last in the US, call in the UK, melody in Dutch.
Hint 2: The game is set in a small English village.

Hint 1: Get all of your characters to the other side.

Hint 1: Famous instrument.

Hint 1: It's just like old television.

Hint 1: Sequel to #20.

Flilix said:
Hint 1: Among the characters in the game, there are now also a bee and a caterpillar.
Hint 3: You can also fly now! Well, not really, but you can float in the air for a while.

Mario Kart 7

Mario Maker 2

mZuzek said:

Last chance before I give up on #22.

#22 - A sci-fi game themed around the idea of light vs. dark. Very original.
Hint 2 - Although its sequel dropped the light vs. dark vibe, it did keep the "dark version of the protagonist" villain.
Hint 3 - This "dark version of the protagonist" was spawned from the remains of the previous game's final boss.

#21 - A fighting game that was killed by a witch.
Hint 2 - This witch caused one of the most infamous moments at Evo grand finals

Prime 2

Smash Bros 4

Around the Network

Alright, everything else has already been guessed, so here's another hint for the one game that hasn't:
#19:
-A long time ago humans destroyed themselves by creating machines that used biological matter to create more robots, which happens to include humans as well
-The main character is a clone of a woman who lived almost 1000 years before the events of the game

SanAndreasX said:
Darashiva said:

18. Final Fantasy VI

Correct!

19. A boy and his cat bring democracy to the moon

Hint # 2: Originally appeared on Sega CD.

19 Lunar: The Silver Star?

Moren said:
Flilix said:

Mario Kart 7

Mario Maker 2

Both correct!!

(Well, almost. It's the first Mario Maker.)

Flilix said:

Hint 1: This game has lots of different names. Last in the US, call in the UK, melody in Dutch.
Hint 2: The game is set in a small English village.

23: Professor Layton & De Melodie van het Spook

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PlayStation 3)

Change From Last Year: +6

Over the last few years The Legend of Heroes-series has become one of my all time favourite JRPG franchises of all time. So far, I've played four different games in it, and every one of them is in my top 50. Trails of Cold Steel was the third game in the series I played, and coincidentally, it's also the third highest from all the games on my list. It's also another game that I've liked even more in hindsight after thinking about the game more since finishing it. From the wonderful characters, great story, excellent soundtrack and one of my favourite RPG battle systems in recent years, it quickly became one of my all-time favourite games.

I already have Trails of Cold Steel III waiting on my shelf, and once I'm done with the games I'm currently playing I'll be starting that one as soon as I can.