By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

ARamdomGamer said:
Jpcc86 said:

Alright, lets break into the TOP 20:

20-
Hint 1: Mute hero goes on a journey to help his troll-looking king.

19-
Hint 1: Popularized the famous "Luigi's death stare". 

20- Dragon Quest VIII

Correct!

TruckOSaurus said:
Jpcc86 said:

Alright, lets break into the TOP 20:

20-
Hint 1: Mute hero goes on a journey to help his troll-looking king.

19-
Hint 1: Popularized the famous "Luigi's death stare". 

#19: Mario Kart 8

Yep, the one and only

Around the Network

#21 - Dark Coffee
Same series as #18.
End of Trilogy.

#18 - The last 20% of this game wasn't even part of the original release, but it is widely considered among the very best parts.
Same series as #21.
Updated Autopsy Report.

TruckOSaurus said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
#21 - Duke it Out as your favorite Nintendo characters.

Super Smash Bros. ummm... the original?

Right!

#21 - Super Smash Bros. (N64): I discovered this game back in 2008, and me and my best friend loved it! We played it every day after school. At that time, it was the only SSB we could play, since we never had a Game Cube or a Wii, and my PC was too weak to emulate them. We had so much fun with this game, it will always have a place in our hearts.

#24 Poke'mon X/Y

I try my best to keep this list down to one game per series. When it comes to the best Poke'mon game there are a ton of viable candidates. Fire Red and Leaf Green have the best roster of Poke'mon with all the originality that comes from a brand new IP. Soul Silver and Heart Gold have an extensive post game, all of gen 1, and the best 2D visuals in the series. Black and White have a very good roster considering that it's 151 new Poke'mon over a decade after the first game. All of these are fantastic candidates and I salute anybody that puts them on their list this year. My soft spot however is for X and Y. Instead of trying to come up with 151 new Poke'mon, and then spitting out 25% filler they kept the number of new creatures down to 75. This allowed for a solid roster of strong creature designs in X and Y. The addition of Fairy typing, and Mega forms made the X/Y meta the most balanced we ever had. X/Y brought the games into full 3D for the first time. 

Poke'mon took a large drop in quality this year, but we'll always have the older games in the series. IMO X/Y is the best one. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
RingoGaSuki said:
#21 - Pokemon Black and White (DS)
Up 10 spots from last year

Pokemon Black and White were bold. They took Pokemon in new directions, introducing triple/rotation battles, new comms systems, 156 new Pokemon (which it forced you to use) and many more great features (seasons, etc.)

These games are an incredibly high mark in the series, with a good story (it and its sequels the only good story in mainline Pokemon), great music and a fantastic region. I've poured 100s of hours into them over the years, and am deeply saddened that the precedent they set hasn't been followed by subsequent Pokemon games. They are fantastic.

I never played these. Went back just to look at the old Unova dex. Lots of classics in there! Which is better? B/W 1 or B/W 2?

I'd honestly say that B2/W2 are the best made games in the entire series (I do hold Emerald above them purely on childhood nostalgia and attachment), their regional dex was fantastic from the get-go, the story never felt handholdy nor childish, every character (including the gym leaders for once) actually played a role in the story, the region was fully fleshed out and characters from BW1 had their stories continued in 2. The side-content is fantastic too, Pokewood is fun, the Battle Subway is a solid Tower alternative, and the Pokemon World Tournament is just the absolute best battling-focused post-game the series has ever had. B2/W2 are as close to perfection as Pokemon has ever gotten and they are deeply underappreciated.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:

#25 Into the Breach

Into the Breach is a turn based Rogue-Like, where you control a team of three mechs trying to protect humanity's cities from giant bugs. Like Subset Games' previous game FTL, you are thrown into a randomized shop every few turns, and can stumble upon a great variety of Pilots or Crewmembers while playing. The shop lets you buy mech parts to upgrade your mechs as you go through the game. Pilots all have special abilities that improve after leveling up. The brilliant thing about Into the Breach is that it literally tells you what the bugs are going to do on their next turn. It is up to you to then spend your turn doing whatever you can to prevent damage to your cities. There are two health meters in Into the Breach. The first one is the health of your mech. The second one is the health of  your power grid. If cities take damage your power grid is damaged. If your power grid falls your mechs lose all the power that was being supplied to them, and that means game over. Because of this, you'll often find yourself having to decide whether to have a mech jump in front of a bug-bullet that was meant for a power grid building, or just let your grid take the damage. There are a lot of ways to tackle the puzzles this game throws your way. Standing on a fissure with a mech will prevent bug reinforcements from coming out of the ground, but will damage most mechs in the process. Pushing a non-flying bug into water kills it instantly. Raising a smokescreen will prevent many bugs from firing. You can even push and teleport bugs so that they wind up inducing friendly fire on their own kind! With 9 different mech teams to choose from the game is endlessly replayable. Into the Breach is easily one of the best three tactics games of the decade!

Great writeup and great choice, I love Into The Breach. It's been one of my favourite indies of this entire generation, its so addictive.

Cerebralbore101 said:

#24 Poke'mon X/Y

Another good writeup! I'd personally put XY a lot lower, but I do agree on the designs of the 'mon themselves. There were no bad designs in Gen VI, they all looked good.

I wish they gave us a third game/sequel for XY, there were so many ways that Kalos could have been fleshed out to make it even better. I'm happy that some love XY so much too, all I see on the net is negativity surrounding it but it wasn't a bad game, it was great, but not as ambitious as it could have been.

RingoGaSuki said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I never played these. Went back just to look at the old Unova dex. Lots of classics in there! Which is better? B/W 1 or B/W 2?

I'd honestly say that B2/W2 are the best made games in the entire series (I do hold Emerald above them purely on childhood nostalgia and attachment), their regional dex was fantastic from the get-go, the story never felt handholdy nor childish, every character (including the gym leaders for once) actually played a role in the story, the region was fully fleshed out and characters from BW1 had their stories continued in 2. The side-content is fantastic too, Pokewood is fun, the Battle Subway is a solid Tower alternative, and the Pokemon World Tournament is just the absolute best battling-focused post-game the series has ever had. B2/W2 are as close to perfection as Pokemon has ever gotten and they are deeply underappreciated.

So what I'm hearing is get both B/W 1 and B/W 2. 

mZuzek said:

Hi. Loads of hints let's go.

#20 - Jump up and your cares will soar away.

Super Mario Odyssey.

Yeah, I went for the low hanging fruit.

Positions #50 - #46: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9080521

Positions #45 - #41: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9080995

Positions #40 - #36: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9082358

Positions #35 - #32: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9082907

Ranking these games was really hard...

#31 - Final Fantasy VII

If I had to describe FFVII with a single word, it would be memorable. This game got so many unforgettable moments, from the epic intro to the very ending, and I feel that's its biggest strength. Another story-related aspect where this game shines is the development of the main protagonist, Cloud Strife, who learns more about himself during his adventure and changes his way of seeing things and his attitude towards other people thanks to that. Regarding the gameplay, it has a great growth system in the form of the Materia system, which allows you to learn different abilities and to get different bonuses depending on the kind of Materia you have equipped in your weapon's and your armor's slots. Then we have the amount of optional content the game has, which is huge (I probably spent way too much time breeding Chocobos...). Of course, the soundtrack is excellent, to say the least.

#30 - Final Fantasy X

I think FFX's biggest strength is its incredibly engaging plot, as it does a fantastic job at making you feel intrigued about what will happen next. The story is well written and it got lots of memorable moments, as well as unexpected plot twists (DAT ending), and the world of Spira has a very deep, interesting lore. The fully turn-based battle system is amazing, because it feels really dynamic and it's always fun to battle. The growth system, in the form of the Sphere Grid, is an interesting alternative to the traditional leveling-up and it's very fun to use, as it allows you to have good control of the growth of your characters. The visuals and art direction of the world are great and the soundtrack is masterful. I have some really good memories from the first time I played this.

#29 - Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

This game represents everything that is great about the Ratchet & Clank series, while adding actual space exploration. Unlike the previous games in the series, in A Crack in Time you can actually explore the interstellar space between planets and, of course, this space has a lot of content in it, the highlight being the different platforming challenges you can find there: this game has overall more focus on platforming than its predecessors. The planets themselves are also very well designed and the puzzles in the Clank sections are pretty brilliant. The combat in this game is as exhilarating and fun as in the previous games in the series, and the amount of weapons you have at your disposal is very varied. Another aspect that this game does pretty well is the story, which is engaging and has some really good plot twists, plus the humor is very well done.

#28 - Pokémon Platinum

This is my highest ranked Pokémon game, and that's because it excels at every aspect that can make a Pokémon game great. Firstly, the Sinnoh region has an intrincate and interesting layout that helps to give the game a good sense of adventure, and the lore they built for the region is particularly deep, especially for a Pokémon game. Then we have the regional pokédex, which has a very good variety of pokémon and is a big improvement over Diamond/Pearl's pokédex. Another aspect that makes this game so amazing, and one of my favorite things about it, is the huge amount of post-game content that it has: there's basically a whole new island for you to explore which also features a Battle Frontier, and there's a lot of optional areas that you can explore in mainland Sinnoh itself. Also, this game has my favorite champion battle in pokémon. Of course, it must be mentioned that the soundtrack is top notch and the visuals have aged really well.

#27 - Super Mario Galaxy

The first Mario Galaxy is a mindblowing experience, especially the first time you play it. In this game, Mario leaves the Mushroom Kingdom and goes to space for the first time, giving you an amazing sense of scale and adventure. The level design is overall fantastic (even if some planetoids can be a little bit too simple/easy) and the creativity Nintendo displayed with this game is just in another level. Also, the different outfits Mario can use during his travels give the gameplay a lot of variety, and the boss battles are really really well designed, too. A very beautiful touch that this game has is Rosalina's story, which can get really sad (I personally shed tears the first time I read it). Thanks to its beautiful art direction, this game's visuals have aged like fine wine, and the OST is just in another level.

Last edited by Keybladewielder - on 26 December 2019

Darashiva said:
Alright, the top 20 is getting close, so here are hints for the next five games on my list:
#20:
-The lead designer of this game later went on to later found Gas Powered Games and create a spiritual sequel to this game
#16:
-The main character in this JRPG is a member of a guild of Bracers, people who handle various jobs around the country. The second game in this series.

20. Total Annihilation

16. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter