By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

50. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (PS2)

First played: 2006

Times completed: 1

This was the first Dragon Quest game I played and although it’s fairly simple compared to other JRPGs, I enjoyed exploring the large world and taking in the impressive graphics while listening to the relaxing, orchestrated soundtrack. It sticks pretty closely to conventions established in earlier titles and doesn’t care to introduce radical changes to the Dragon Quest formula, but it does make small improvements and as a whole it’s an enjoyable, classic JRPG. I look forward to replaying this game, this time on 3DS.

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:
SanAndreasX said:

49. An early first-person modular sci-fi/fantasy RPG for 8-bit computers (no, it's not a Wizardry game).
48. The first game in the final trilogy of this RPG series, you have to solve a murder mystery
47. Blasting demons on a stylized Earth with a double barreled shotgun
46. An ex-convict, his dog, a princess, and a kid start a vigilante group
45. The very first of one of the best action-adventure video game series of all time. The latest game in this series was made to recapture the spirit of the very first game.

Hint # 2

49. Nobody is going to be able to guess this anyway because it's super obscure, and it's going on my list for today, so I'm going to come out and say it. It's Alternate Reality, an RPG with multiple parts planned (of which only two, The City and The Dungeon, were completed) and a lot of mechanics unusual for the day such as in-game date/time, weather, karma, and whatnot. It came out in 1985 for the Atari 8-bit computers and was ported to C64, Atari ST, Apple II, PC , and Mac.

48. A couple of you got the series right, but it's a mainline numbered title in the series.

47. It is Doom II. Someone got it right.

46. The game was made by Namco and starred Troy Baker as the protagonist

45. It was indeed the original Legend of Zelda. You'll be seeing a lot of Zelda on my list.

Too soon, after Zork was wrong, Alternate Reality: The City would actually have been my second guess. In fact, I wasn't sure if I should go with Zork or AR in the first place before.

# 50 Bloodborne

#50 Ragnarok Online (PC)

Wont be making many post about my list, but a couple of game do deserve it (or rather, I just wanna mention them). I had Ragnarok Online as my #50, a game I was invested in for 2-3 years before I got into WOW,  that was some good 15-16 years ago. Made a lot of friends playing it and to this day im still friends with most of them. It was my first MMO experience and since RPGs are my fav genre I got hooked immediately. Back then I loved the sprites, the animations, the MVP bosses. It was really fun. I have many fond memories of it. Its not aged well, and with the benefit of hindsight Im more aware of its many - MANY - flaws. But man, I loved it back then. Not a game I'd ever go back to, but gave me so many enjoyable moments. Had a Paladin with GTB and Ghostring cards, I was a beast. Those were the days I tell you.  

#49: Golf Story (NS) (Guessed by TruckOSaurus)

When I first heard all the hype about this game, I didn't know what to make of it. I had been burnt by a few crappy Switch games I'd bought early in its life on the back of online hype, but this one was the only one that lived up to its promise. It took me back to a simpler time, a time where you could just sit and relax and enjoy a good-humoured game without a care in the world. Lovingly crafted, Golf Story is a pure joy to play. 

Around the Network

I probably should drop a hint for the next game.

a) Collect trash…

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

a) Collect trash…

Pokemon Black/White 

Jpcc86 said:
Mnementh said:

a) Collect trash…

Pokemon Black/White 

Nope. We will have a few days (this game is due friday), so I will drop more hints in time.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Here are my first few clues:

50   This GBA game is based on a very old Japanese manga.

49   I will be surprised if anyone gets this one, so here's about as easy as I can make the clue.  This is an early 80's arcade game where you extend your tongue through a maze to eat pellets as well as ants and worms.  At night a spider comes out, which is almost impossible to kill.

48   This may be the best looking (and best overall) 2D game on a console known for 3D games with now very dated graphics.

47   This is an early 80's arcade game known for using a trackball to shoot different bugs.  

46   This game makes great use of the Wii U gamepad by allowing one of the players to split up and still have their own screen.

Also I want to add some honorable mentions for games I played since last year's list, but didn't quite make the top 50:

Valkyria Chronicles 4 - Extremely fun and a good story, but the first one is probably more memorable.
Cadence of Hyrule - This is a super fun and addictive Zelda game.  There is a chance this could enter the top 50 in the future depending on how much I come back to  it.
Earthbound - This was fun and interesting, but I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had first played it when it was a current game.
Untitled Goose Game - This game is fun, whimsical and crafted extremely well.  The main strike against it is how short it is.  But it's original and a lot of fun for a few hours.
Spider-Man (PS4) - This is another good candidate for the top 50.  I remember an earlier game like this being better though.  At some point I need to go back and replay it and compare the two.  Is the old one really better or is it just nostalgia?  For now, I'm keeping the earlier game on this list.