By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

A man with a mouse saves the world, one turn at a time.
A cursed king's journey

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:

49. An early first-person modular sci-fi/fantasy RPG for 8-bit computers (no, it's not a Wizardry game).
48. The first game in the final trilogy of this RPG series, you have to solve a murder mystery
47. Blasting demons on a stylized Earth with a double barreled shotgun
46. An ex-convict, his dog, a princess, and a kid start a vigilante group
45. The very first of one of the best action-adventure video game series of all time. The latest game in this series was made to recapture the spirit of the very first game.

Hint # 2

49. Nobody is going to be able to guess this anyway because it's super obscure, and it's going on my list for today, so I'm going to come out and say it. It's Alternate Reality, an RPG with multiple parts planned (of which only two, The City and The Dungeon, were completed) and a lot of mechanics unusual for the day such as in-game date/time, weather, karma, and whatnot. It came out in 1985 for the Atari 8-bit computers and was ported to C64, Atari ST, Apple II, PC , and Mac.

48. A couple of you got the series right, but it's a mainline numbered title in the series.

47. It is Doom II. Someone got it right.

46. The game was made by Namco and starred Troy Baker as the protagonist

45. It was indeed the original Legend of Zelda. You'll be seeing a lot of Zelda on my list.

Landale_Star said:
A cursed king's journey

Dragon Quest VIII. One of my long-time favorites.

Missile Command

Guessed by: The_Liquid_Laser

A simple game, but effective at being addictive entertainment. The objective is to shoot missiles at incoming missiles that target your cities. Once all cities are destroyed, you lose. This famous game has tons of clones out there, and my introduction to it was through one such clone. Our first computer, a Macintosh, came with a demo-disc which contained a game called 'Patriot Command'. Years later I played the original game; Missile Command, and for some reason you can't beat the real thing. Maybe it's the no-nonsense feel of it. After all, the Atari has only one button, a big red one, so what can go wrong?

#49: This sports game features a half-time show that doesn't actually happen in reality. Maybe it does on American Colleges, but I don't know.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

Missile Command

A simple game, but effective at being addictive entertainment. The objective is to shoot missiles at incoming missiles that target your cities. Once all cities are destroyed, you lose. This famous game has tons of clones out there, and my introduction to it was through one such clone. Our first computer, a Macintosh, came with a demo-disc which contained a game called 'Patriot Command'. Years later I played the original game; Missile Command, and for some reason you can't beat the real thing. Maybe it's the no-nonsense feel of it. After all, the Atari has only one button, a big red one, so what can go wrong?

Damn, dude, you've got more skill than I've got to make that. I remember I went to a friend's birthday party when I was a kid and he had a full-sized Missile Command arcade machine.

Katamari Damacy (PS2)

A creative concept that at first glance is not understood but is as addictive as it is entertaining.

Link_knight30 said:

Katamari Damacy (PS2)

A creative concept that at first glance is not understood but is as addictive as it is entertaining.

This is a great game and (*hinthint*) you may keep attention later in my list.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

SanAndreasX said:
S.Peelman said:

(picture)

Missile Command

Damn, dude, you've got more skill than I've got to make that. I remember I went to a friend's birthday party when I was a kid and he had a full-sized Missile Command arcade machine.

Thank you.

An actual arcade machine, that's awesome. I like to have one at some point. Missile Command would be a fun one to have!

SanAndreasX said:
Landale_Star said:
A cursed king's journey

Dragon Quest VIII. One of my long-time favorites.

Correct!

S.Peelman said:
#49: This sports game features a half-time show that doesn't actually happen in reality. Maybe it does on American Colleges, but I don't know.

I think this is Soccer for the NES. At least that's probably what it's called. I remember how weird it was seeing cheerleaders come out at half time, surely it should be oranges, right?