By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - China legally limits time and money spent on gaming by minors

No surprise coming from a communist country.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
Agente42 said:
Metallox said:

Among other things, limiting to 90 minute schedules impedes one becoming addicted to video games. 

90 min/weekday is not bad for children.

Otherwise, 3 h for the weekend is bad.

3 hours in 14-hour windows are not bad, honestly. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

hunter_alien said:
Good This is actually a pretty decent way to cut down on game addiction. It might seem like it's a lot, but in all honesty, having almost 14 hours of online gaming time a week is more than enough for a child IMO.

Off-topic: the amount of people who are spewing garbage about and against China, without knowing a single fact, is just daunting. Some of the garbage that people are peddling are downright xenophobic. What has this site become?

Ah the inevitable devil's advocate.

I think you're the one a bit misguided about the CCP. This is not about China as a whole or its people, it's about an oppressive Totaliitarian government who literally beats and shoots dissenters in the streets, they've shot a woman's eye out for protesting for Hong Kong, they keep Chinese muslims in literal concentration camps, they keep a creepy level of tabs on their own population and monitor them, and now apparently they are even acting like the dictatorial parents of their own population by putting heavy restrictions on their gaming time. This is straight up Dystopian and it's creepy. The only thing I'm "phobic" of is totalitarianism, of a government who can't even grasp the simple concept of liberty, "live and let live," or hell, basic human rights for that matter - no matter WHERE it crops up.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

hunter_alien said:
Good This is actually a pretty decent way to cut down on game addiction. It might seem like it's a lot, but in all honesty, having almost 14 hours of online gaming time a week is more than enough for a child IMO.

Off-topic: the amount of people who are spewing garbage about and against China, without knowing a single fact, is just daunting. Some of the garbage that people are peddling are downright xenophobic. What has this site become?

Children have parents that can restrict gaming time if needed,letting the goverment in your house on a personal freedom like that is really worrying and where will that lead to?

And can you give an example of people being xenophobic in this thread because i do not really see it,or do you think that people speaking negative about the goverment are xenophobic? 

fatslob-:O said:
People can decry China for all they want but like it or not they are on progress to represent the beacon of technology whereas the western world is on the brink of being effectively left behind ...

China has a society that is intrinsically of higher trust while western social systems have lower trust which is why democracy, rule of law, and privacy are all overrated to them ...

There's a very good reason why the CCP have the "Mandate of Heaven" because the people believe that they can restore China to it's former glory ...

That's all well and good.  But, we know objectively that communism, or whatever you want to call their current hybrid-but-still-super-authoritarian system, can't bring about prosperity in the long run.  So, there isn't any glory waiting at the end of their 100, or 1000, or 10000 year time horizon.  There's just oppression, suffering, and indignity on the way, and at the destination.   

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
hunter_alien said:

Are you trolling, or do you honestly believe that it's good for governments to legally limit the amount of time people can spend doing a peaceful, victimless activity?

But this is asia, it isn't that victimless.  We literally had another story this week that a teen died:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7650671/Video-game-addict-17-slumped-dead-computer-Thailand.html

South Korea also have/had a similar measure because I remember very well that a child was angry because he could not play a game because of the time.

Video game addiction exist but in my experience it is limited in the West while it isn't that hard to find horrible cases in asia. 

I don't like the measure but something must be done but no goverment has the right answer, especially not an answer gamers on a gamer forum will like =p. 

In this case, the child just continues to play on his parents account after 90 minutes and if something happens like spending a ton of money the parents are liable

konnichiwa said:
VAMatt said:

Are you trolling, or do you honestly believe that it's good for governments to legally limit the amount of time people can spend doing a peaceful, victimless activity?

But this is asia, it isn't that victimless.  We literally had another story this week that a teen died:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7650671/Video-game-addict-17-slumped-dead-computer-Thailand.html

South Korea also have/had a similar measure because I remember very well that a child was angry because he could not play a game because of the time.

Video game addiction exist but in my experience it is limited in the West while it isn't that hard to find horrible cases in asia. 

I don't like the measure but something must be done but no goverment has the right answer, especially not an answer gamers on a gamer forum will like =p. 

In this case, the child just continues to play on his parents account after 90 minutes and if something happens like spending a ton of money the parents are liable

Are you suggesting that Asian people should be treated differently than westerners because a kid died while gaming?   

Life is not problem free or risk free.  Certainly, some people play video games too much.  Some other people spend so much time skateboarding, playing basketball, or fishing, that they neglect family and work obligations and mess their lives up.  It does not then follow that there is a societal problem, and it certainly doesn't follow that government needs to get involved to "solve" it.  

If there is a problem with video game addiction (I do not know that there is, but the purposes of this discussion I'll grant that point), government certainly can't solve it. Governments have shown us time and time again that they are absolutely terrible at dealing with addiction.  But, even if they could, it still wouldn't make it okay for the CCP to trample on the basic human rights of Chinese citizens by monitoring their peaceful leisure activities inside of their own homes.  

VAMatt said:
People can decry China for all they want but like it or not they are on progress to represent the beacon of technology whereas the western world is on the brink of being effectively left behind ...

China has a society that is intrinsically of higher trust while western social systems have lower trust which is why democracy, rule of law, and privacy are all overrated to them ...

There's a very good reason why the CCP have the "Mandate of Heaven" because the people believe that they can restore China to it's former glory ...

That's all well and good.  But, we know objectively that communism, or whatever you want to call their current hybrid-but-still-super-authoritarian system, can't bring about prosperity in the long run.  So, there isn't any glory waiting at the end of their 100, or 1000, or 10000 year time horizon.  There's just oppression, suffering, and indignity on the way, and at the destination.   

Exactly.

Not only that, but their "vision" of "returning to former glory" is wholly subjective, as well as fundamentally flawed to it's core, so I'm not sure what he;'s babbling about, as if there was any point to that to begin with. 

Hell, China built an AI, then asked it's view on communism. The AI cited Communism as flawed, and you know what they did to the AI?. They shut it down, because when you don't agree with China and communism, you get the boot, that's how they operate. No former glory needed, just a crummy, flawed country.

Also being "ahead", in surveillance tech, and tech to generally profile your entire life, isn't exactly what everyone wants in their lives, so there's not much to "leave behind" in regards to that line of tech. Wake me up when China makes GITS style prosthetic bodies, totally not controlled by their Gov, and work 100% well, with hardly any "made in China" style faults, then we'll talk. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

VAMatt said:

@Bold History has shown this not to be true ... 

The practice of widespread universal suffrage has existed for less than 200 years while the rest of humanity was effectively under so called "authoritarian rule". The Roman empire and the former British empire were not in any way equivalent to the "free world" as we knew it today and yet they were highly prosperous nations for their time which lasted for centuries so as far as I'm concerned an authoritarian system can bring about prosperity in the "long run" that you speak of ... 

It is not 'ideology' that makes one nation succeed over another, it is the 'features' that are important to a nations success. In CIV terms, China has very strong foundations to emerge as both economically and technologically victorious and if their policies including this one ends up helping them produce more engineers/scientists in the end then it is arguably a success ... 

It is also not just surveillance technology where China is succeeding in no matter how much people here want that to be the case since they are globally leading in wireless telecommunications infrastructure as well with Huawei ... 

VAMatt said:

@Bold History has shown this not to be true ... 

The practice of widespread universal suffrage has existed for less than 200 years while the rest of humanity was effectively under so called "authoritarian rule". The Roman empire and the former British empire were not in any way equivalent to the "free world" as we knew it today and yet they were highly prosperous nations for their time which lasted for centuries so as far as I'm concerned an authoritarian system can bring about prosperity in the "long run" that you speak of ... 

It is not 'ideology' that makes one nation succeed over another, it is the 'features' that are important to a nations success. In CIV terms, China has very strong foundations to emerge as both economically and technologically victorious and if their policies including this one ends up helping them produce more engineers/scientists in the end then it is arguably a success ... 

It is also not just surveillance technology where China is succeeding in no matter how much people here want that to be the case since they are globally leading in wireless telecommunications infrastructure as well with Huawei ... 

The prosperity you speak of back then may well be achievable by the Chinese system.  But, it's not something any reasonable, modern citizen of planet Earth would consider a prosperous society.  Yes, the Romans were victorious in many battles, so the warrior class and elites of society were able to rape many women and take many slaves.  They were also able to pillage all kinds of resources from the conquered people.  But, the vast majority of people lived in relative squalor. 

I don't doubt that the Chinese system will be able to bring about a good life for the elites.  They'll be able to rape, murder, and steal to their heart's content, while the average person is unable to find clear air to breathe while peddling their bike to their sweatshop gig.