By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - China legally limits time and money spent on gaming by minors

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/06/business/china-video-game-ban-young.html

Being the world's most prominent authoritarian regime, it comes as little surprise that China has issued rules that dictate the amount of time, time of day, and monthly spending allowed in video games for people under 18.  

I don't think it matters what the amounts are, as it's the principal that I care about.  But, in case you care about the numbers, they are:

90 minutes per day on Weekdays

3 hours per day on weekends and holidays

No gaming between 10pm and 8am

$28-$57 per month max, depending on age

IMO, the idea that it's any of the state's business what time of day a person plays video games is totally ridiculous.  The same goes for the amount of money they spend.  If anything, this stuff is an issue for families to handle, as they actually know what makes sense for their kids.  

To enforce this, people will be required to use their real name and identification number (that's worrying too, but maybe for a different discussion) to log in.  I wonder what the punishment will be for people that work around the rules?  You know damn well kids will do that any chance they get.

As a believer in and supporter of personal autonomy, and the basic human right to do whatever one wants, whenever one wants, so long as it doesn't limit anyone else's ability to do the same, I find this disgusting.  In light of Acti/Bliz licking the Chinese boots last month, this whole thing worries me a bit.  Are gaming companies simply going to roll over and acquiesce to the authorities in China, to the detriment of the rest of us?  It may be too soon to say.  But, we know at least some of them will.  And that is disgusting. 

What do you think?

Around the Network

I think this is an excuse to have more personal control over the population. Having to identify yourself everytime you play gives them a lot of influence over the individual in question, another piece in their draconian social points system.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Kinect and Playstation Camera mandatory with feeds running through their servers before they hit Microsoft and Sony's servers. I kid ... kinda.

Also a new market opens up for non-gamers selling their time ...

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

How are such things tracked by the government?.....Whatever. That place is fucked.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Yikes. Just when you thought they couldn't get any more authoritarian. They probably want to monitor people so they don't send out or receive pro-Hong Kong or anti-China messages.

What is the point of limiting people from playing games? I can not understand how limiting someone to 90mins per day is going to change anything, more importantly how are they going to know and what are the punishments if a minor played longer than 90mins..
Just when Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony were trying to break into the China market not that long ago, seems a waste of time now.
China is becoming the next South Korea.

Azzanation said:

What is the point of limiting people from playing games? I can not understand how limiting someone to 90mins per day is going to change anything, more importantly how are they going to know and what are the punishments if a minor played longer than 90mins..
Just when Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony were trying to break into the China market not that long ago, seems a waste of time now.
China is becoming the next South Korea.

Among other things, limiting to 90 minute schedules impedes one becoming addicted to video games. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Lol safe to say Blizzard backed the wrong horse on this one?

As a business you can't really rely on a totalitarian government like China no matter how many potential consumers there may be b/c the government basically has free reign to do what they want when they want, and can put massive restrictions on where, when, how, and even IF you can do business. Case in point..

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden