By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - China legally limits time and money spent on gaming by minors

Well I say fuck the government.

I'm the one that dictates how much time and money my children is allowed to play and if it is interfering with his other activities, not the government. And in my case I say the same for the type of content, sure advisory boards rating the game is helpful so I can decide or not to allow him to play content for older people, but won't ever accept they banning, censuring or limiting access to content themselves.

I together with my wife are the dictators in our own house.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Xen said:
This is all well and bad, but I don't see discussion as to what is really interesting here: what kind of (inevitable) circumvention methods are gonna be used here for some, or all of the measures presented here?

Do all chinese gaming systems, consoles, mobiles and PCs, need to be connected to the internet 24/7? I guess single player games could circumvent this, but we're talking about the chinese gobernment here. They probably have enough control over their population to discover unregistered and undeclared gaming one way or another.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Good This is actually a pretty decent way to cut down on game addiction. It might seem like it's a lot, but in all honesty, having almost 14 hours of online gaming time a week is more than enough for a child IMO.

Off-topic: the amount of people who are spewing garbage about and against China, without knowing a single fact, is just daunting. Some of the garbage that people are peddling are downright xenophobic. What has this site become?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Chazore said:

Of course it's a waste of time, because China doesn't give two shits about the literal rest of the world.

China doesn't care about what anyone else wants, what anyone else feels or needs. They only care about what their leadership and gov requires/demands, and that's how things have been run for decades now.

All these companies, trying to get in bed with China, thinking this is the best deal of the century, when they couldn't be more wrong than Holocaust deniers. China only wants what these companies bring to the table, for them, not for anyone else. Once China's done copying the ever loving shit out of anything the Western world brings to it's table, it'll mass produce, and copyright infringe all the way, then promptly kicking everyone else out, or forcing them out via internal mass spammed "competition".

This is how China works, this is how it's always worked, and always will, until some fucker steps in to their gov and tells them to knock it the fuck off. A closed state is a heretical one, one I wish was dismantled from within, or via an external force, because we are no longer stuck in the early years of man, where having no tech, no means of communication was seen as good, no, we're in a modern society, where every country interacts with one another, has to aid one another and adhere to international laws, which includes copyright and humanitarian laws, both of which China scoffs at. China no longer has that long since abandoned thought process of staying closed off, yet taking from us, all that much longer, because at some point, at some time, one country is going to have enough of their shit and step in, and I hope it's the EU and the US.

What they are doing in HK is shit.

What they are doing to tech in general is shit.

What they are doing to humans is shit.

What they are doing to copyright law is shit.

What they are doing to basic human rights is shit.

What they are doing to basic and general freedom, again, is shit.

Like, I'm glad you've woken up to the idea, that seeing this obvious and shitty deal, is bad for everyone but China. I'd hope now you'll see that what China is doing, is taking everyone for a wild ride, where they basically freeload from everyone else, while kicking them out of the car in the process.

Are you, or anyone else here for that matter, aware that China has an AI, that personally monitors all of it's citizens, and it just so happens to be called "Skynet"?.

Yes, they have an AI that practically breaths down your neck, and watches you on a day to day basis, wherever a camera is propped.

/SIP

I was never asleep to be woken up, I am well and truly aware of China's issues and the communist ways. I am completely against communism, I just don't blame companies that fall in the cross fire like some people have been doing because a company has to follow the rules there. China is in ruins and its extremely sad to see, however there is nothing the world can do apart from pull out of China completely or start a war with them. 

My biggest question here is why does limiting people from buying and playing video games going to achieve in China? Is this suppose to make kids go outside or something.. it baffles me with the rules. I know its China trying to control people but its a control that doesn't really benefit anyone aside from hurting people. 

I heard about the AI in China and its extremely disappointing that countries believes in monetarising to that extreme. As iv been in heated debates before about controlling peoples rights as I absolutely hate the fact any government thinks they can control what people can do. I deal with my fair share of control in the country I live in too, however I will never compare it to what China is going through. 

If I was living in Hong Kong, ill be trying to flee the country however that is easier said than done.

S.Peelman said:
Azzanation said:

(..)
China is becoming the next South Korea.

You mean North Korea.

I was reading through the thread wondering when someone would point that out.  

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Shadow1980 said:
Y'know, it's really looking like it's time for America and the rest of the free world to grow a pair and place economic sanctions on China. No business incorporated in any NATO/EU/G7 member state should be allowed to do business in China, period, until the CCP gives Hong Kong its autonomy back (and recognizes the same autonomy for Macau), ceases all human rights abuses, recognizes Taiwanese independence, and begins the process towards democratization. One of the top strategic goals of the U.S. and its key allies in the 21st century should be delegitimizing and eventually destroying the political power of the Chinese Communist Party. The "right" of corporations to have access to a large emerging market does not outweigh the egregious human rights abuses inflicted by this totalitarian regime. We had an embargo of Cuba for decades. Maybe it wasn't Cuba we should have been embargoing.

The problem is china owes so much of the USA's debt, and keeps lending money to the USA, who has a consumerismist lifestyle, that would have to change drastically if you did as you suggested. The US would litterly have to change its ways (of life) for what your saying to be doable.

Im scared to think what the world economy would look like after such a thing too.
If the US and China both give each other huge bloodly wounds, and hurt one anothers economy...... what happends to the them? the rest of the world?

Eh, it's a large number but still in the 10-12% of total debt. US citizens owe a vast majority of its debt.

I'm not sure advocating for an actual trade war (rather than the small jabs the US is currently exchanging with China) would be very good. Trump certainly wouldn't do it before an election.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Xen said:
This is all well and bad, but I don't see discussion as to what is really interesting here: what kind of (inevitable) circumvention methods are gonna be used here for some, or all of the measures presented here?

Someone mentioned above non-gamers selling their unused time.

Also, kids could just get their parents to let them use their information to login.  

I'm sure people will come up with technological ways to circumvent detection.  That's the really interesting stuff.  

hunter_alien said:
Good This is actually a pretty decent way to cut down on game addiction. It might seem like it's a lot, but in all honesty, having almost 14 hours of online gaming time a week is more than enough for a child IMO.

Are you trolling, or do you honestly believe that it's good for governments to legally limit the amount of time people can spend doing a peaceful, victimless activity?

hunter_alien said:

Off-topic: the amount of people who are spewing garbage about and against China, without knowing a single fact, is just daunting. Some of the garbage that people are peddling are downright xenophobic. What has this site become?

Never good to have government dictate it and make it a crime.

Also people are complaining about the government not the people, I guess you don't know what xenophobic means.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

People can decry China for all they want but like it or not they are on progress to represent the beacon of technology whereas the western world is on the brink of being effectively left behind ...

China has a society that is intrinsically of higher trust while western social systems have lower trust which is why democracy, rule of law, and privacy are all overrated to them ...

There's a very good reason why the CCP have the "Mandate of Heaven" because the people believe that they can restore China to it's former glory ...