By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: W44, 2019 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)

curl-6 said:

Holy moly, "domination" doesn't even begin to describe the hardware disparity at this point.

The PS4:Switch ratio is up to a frankly insane 13:1

And how fitting that a fitness game where you run most of the time is having such great "legs"

It's actually bigger than that since Nintendo reported 10 million units sold in Japan, meaning Famitsu and VGC has it undertracked by around 200k.



Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
curl-6 said:

Holy moly, "domination" doesn't even begin to describe the hardware disparity at this point.

The PS4:Switch ratio is up to a frankly insane 13:1

And how fitting that a fitness game where you run most of the time is having such great "legs"

It's actually bigger than that since Nintendo reported 10 million units sold in Japan, meaning Famitsu and VGC has it undertracked by around 200k.

It didn't sell an extra 200k.  Nintendo directly sells the Switch online but Famitsu can't track that. 



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Bofferbrauer2 said:

I'm expecting that, too, unless Sony comes with something that Japanese gamers really want. But so far, it looks just like more of the same, a Playstation 1.4, if you will. That's not enough to catch the attention of Japanese gamers.

Its gonna take more than that to be competitive in Japan, they would need to have a stream of EXCLUSIVE japanese games which used to be the case back on the PS3 era, where many japanese games would release on PS3 and Vita but once the Vita died and there was no Sony succesor for it all those games that used to be exclusve to PS ended up releasing on PS4 and Switch, which KILLED the one thing that made PS appealing on JP, all those sweet exclusive japanese games that ranged from fighting games, RPGs, Dungeon Crawlers, Visual Novels, dumb ecchi games etc.

In a way once the Vita died so did what made PS (home consoles) appealing in Japan, and i say it because all of those games used to have a handheld version and since there was no Vita 2 then Switch it is, so they went from exclusive to multiplatform.

and lets be honest the truth is that even if sony created an extra 6 japanese first party studios that focused solely on making japanese centric games they still wouldnt stand a chance against Nintendo, simply because almost all (if not all) first party games from Ninty appeal to the Japanese not to mention the popularity some of those games have like Pokemon or Mario its just not even a competition at this point.



SpokenTruth said:
PAOerfulone said:

It's actually bigger than that since Nintendo reported 10 million units sold in Japan, meaning Famitsu and VGC has it undertracked by around 200k.

It didn't sell an extra 200k.  Nintendo directly sells the Switch online but Famitsu can't track that. 

I'll be adjusting up our Switch figures by 200k in Japan once I do the next weekly hardware figures. This is so it matches the amount Nintendo announced. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Updated the OP with the Top 30



Around the Network

P5R being PS4 only definetly Hurts, PS3 version accounted for 1/4 of p5 launch week sales. P5R Launch is only moderately better then p4g's launch. Considering the massive jump in sales for a portable port (p3 to p3p, p4 to golden) atlus is missing out on a large portion of potential audience here.

Sony's being kind of blind here they are at a very real risk of losing a lot next gen globally if they don't fix the cracks that are showing. Vita being abandoned meant that many devs are going multiplatform, and thouse niche games might go switch only considering switch will be the only viable console in Japan while also having a decent global reach. If Sony loses thouse they have a real shot of losing the WESTERN side to Xbox if they actually get thier shit together after the xbone by losing the one major edge ps always had over MS, Japanese games.
And this time, unlike the PS3, there will be no strong Sony corporate to prop them up.



Somebody have numbers with demat ?



TheBraveGallade said:
P5R being PS4 only definetly Hurts, PS3 version accounted for 1/4 of p5 launch week sales. P5R Launch is only moderately better then p4g's launch. Considering the massive jump in sales for a portable port (p3 to p3p, p4 to golden) atlus is missing out on a large portion of potential audience here.

Sony's being kind of blind here they are at a very real risk of losing a lot next gen globally if they don't fix the cracks that are showing. Vita being abandoned meant that many devs are going multiplatform, and thouse niche games might go switch only considering switch will be the only viable console in Japan while also having a decent global reach. If Sony loses thouse they have a real shot of losing the WESTERN side to Xbox if they actually get thier shit together after the xbone by losing the one major edge ps always had over MS, Japanese games.
And this time, unlike the PS3, there will be no strong Sony corporate to prop them up.

You're being so pessimistic, it hurts. 



My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
TheBraveGallade said:
P5R being PS4 only definetly Hurts, PS3 version accounted for 1/4 of p5 launch week sales. P5R Launch is only moderately better then p4g's launch. Considering the massive jump in sales for a portable port (p3 to p3p, p4 to golden) atlus is missing out on a large portion of potential audience here.

Sony's being kind of blind here they are at a very real risk of losing a lot next gen globally if they don't fix the cracks that are showing. Vita being abandoned meant that many devs are going multiplatform, and thouse niche games might go switch only considering switch will be the only viable console in Japan while also having a decent global reach. If Sony loses thouse they have a real shot of losing the WESTERN side to Xbox if they actually get thier shit together after the xbone by losing the one major edge ps always had over MS, Japanese games.
And this time, unlike the PS3, there will be no strong Sony corporate to prop them up.

You're being so pessimistic, it hurts. 

True. I'm just pointing out the cracks

Sony could still easily minimize the effect of any of these. But the cracks are there, and sony'arrogence and the market situation mirror that of early PS3 day globally.

They can pretty easily be fine, but they can far SOO far if they don't pull iff the ps5 right.



It's pretty clear that PS5 will be more expensive than Switch and PS4 / PS4 Pro at launch which almost guarantees a rocky start.
And they would need at least one launch title that goes well with the japanese audicence.

Nintendo showed that pretty well with the BotW, MK8D and Splatoon 2 combo in the first few months of the system.
Especially Splatoon carried a lot of early momentum.

I don't think either Monster Hunter World 2 or Dragon Quest 12 will be ready for launch.
A new Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts is also pretty much out of the question.
They will get ports in the best case but the selling power of late ports in Japan is pretty low.
Especially because the first batch of PS5 owners will be enthusiasts that probably already have a PS4 and the games.
The talks about backwards compability, while good for the consumer, will also make it even harder for the new console.

While I am confident that the PS5 will be a worldwide success, the japanese market will be pretty harsh.