By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: W44, 2019 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)

Bofferbrauer2 said:
zorg1000 said:

And what is PS5 going to do?

Hopefully for Sony sell better in Japan than the PS4 did, especially early on as the PS4's start in Japan was pretty much a disaster, being outsold by the Dreamcast and Wii U of all things in the same timeframe (first 6 or 9 month, can't remember which one)

PS4 is on it's way out, selling way less than 10k with such a big release is a pretty sad sight, especially since the PS5 is at least one year away.

But there has to be a reason for it to do better, releasing what is essentially just more of the same will do nothing to change the decline of the PS brand in Japan.

PS4 has the full support of Japanese and western 3rd parties and it's struggling to reach 10 million, PS5 needs to offer something outside the box to recover in Japan but that's not going to happen because it could potentially affect the western sales and Sony is not going to and should not risk that.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Agente42 said:
MasonADC said:
Persona 5 Royal being an exclusive was a mistake, espically after the original was on two systems

No Switch release is major mistake. Joker in Smash and screw you, Nintendo. 

Famitsu undertracked Switch hardware.

That is stupid for Nintendo to put joker in smash, with nothing in return for it. Joker in smash does a hell of alot more for p5 than it does for smash. While joker in smash is a massive advertisement for p5, it doesnt do a thing for the popularity of smash.

I remember at E3 when they made the announcement. Joker from persona 5. And that's all. Nothing about p5 on switch, just a big f you and free advertisement for their game. Nintendo should have said, give us p5, or go fuck yourselves.  But that's just my take on it.

zorg1000 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Hopefully for Sony sell better in Japan than the PS4 did, especially early on as the PS4's start in Japan was pretty much a disaster, being outsold by the Dreamcast and Wii U of all things in the same timeframe (first 6 or 9 month, can't remember which one)

PS4 is on it's way out, selling way less than 10k with such a big release is a pretty sad sight, especially since the PS5 is at least one year away.

But there has to be a reason for it to do better, releasing what is essentially just more of the same will do nothing to change the decline of the PS brand in Japan.

PS4 has the full support of Japanese and western 3rd parties and it's struggling to reach 10 million, PS5 needs to offer something outside the box to recover in Japan but that's not going to happen because it could potentially affect the western sales and Sony is not going to and should not risk that.

Theres no way the ps4 reaches 10 million either. I think the problem is, the playstation brand has basically become too western for Japan to care. When it sells this bad with every single company on the planet making games for it, that's bad. I think Japan feels and knows that Sony basically doesnt really care about that market, and it shows. The ps5 will sell even less. 

The ps4 will not catch up to the ps3. Not even a price drop will change that. I agree with you too, Sony would be crazy to try and change what they're doing for Japan. They've got the rest of the planet to more than pick up the slack.

Wow, the difference in sales between the Switch and PS4 is just staggering to look at.
Unless Sony has something unique and game-changing planned for the PS5, Japan is just going to be all-Switch, all-Nintendo from this point forward.

zorg1000 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I agree, and so far, I don't see any, either. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I can only see PS5 doing worse in Japan than PS4.  Think back to 2013.  If a Japanese person wanted a home console, then what were they going to get?  Wii U sucked (and had a small library) and Japan never buys XBox.  That just leaves PS4.  It was the only viable option.

This time around Switch is a viable option.  Most weeks, when we see the top 30 chart for Japan, there are several games that get both a PS4 and Switch version.  Switch is now a viable option.  It is reasonable to expect that after PS5 releases, a lot of Japanese games will be PS5 and Switch or possibly Switch only.  Switch has already outsold PS4's 6 year total in about 2.5 years.  Switch is definitely the main platform for Japan.  There are going to be a lot of Japanese PS4 owners that will just buy a Switch and never consider the PS5.

In Japan PS5 is definitely going to decline compared to PS4.

I'm expecting that, too, unless Sony comes with something that Japanese gamers really want. But so far, it looks just like more of the same, a Playstation 1.4, if you will. That's not enough to catch the attention of Japanese gamers.

Around the Network

Amazing Switch boost, didn't know a Pokemon Switch Lite had come out.
Fantastic numbers for P5R considering it's just a re-edition. PS4's sales continue being tragic *pretends to be shocked*.
Decent enough numbers for Luigi, hopefully it has good legs.

Ring Fit is really having great legs

Bofferbrauer2 said: 

I'm expecting that, too, unless Sony comes with something that Japanese gamers really want. But so far, it looks just like more of the same, a Playstation 1.4, if you will. That's not enough to catch the attention of Japanese gamers.

If even 1.4. More like PlayStation 0.2.

Famitsu hardware numbers for switch is undertracked by at least 204K since Nintendo said Japan sales crossed 10 million mark a couple of days ago.

Replicant said:
Bofferbrauer2 said: 

If even 1.4. More like PlayStation 0.2.

Sony has been focusing on the west, Most of their first party games are aimed at the western audience. I don't think they care that much about the Japanese market anymore and why would they? Their huge sales in North America and Europe have got them to 102.8 million shipments in just under 6 years.

Holy moly, "domination" doesn't even begin to describe the hardware disparity at this point.

The PS4:Switch ratio is up to a frankly insane 13:1

And how fitting that a fitness game where you run most of the time is having such great "legs"