By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Smash Ultimate now best selling fighting game of all time

Well deserved.
Smash bros has been the best fighting series for a while now. Only fitting that one of its games is the best selling fighter.
This will absolutely crush the record by such a margin that it is hard to see any future games passing it, outside of maybe another smash bros game.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
It's even more impressive when you consider how many consoles and years that SF II was released on.

I'm somewhat sad to see it happen though. SF II is my favorite fighting game of all time. I used to hold SF II tournaments (in the days long before eSports were a thing). But this is definitely worthy sales title successor.

Not to mention how many different releases SFII had (SCE, Turbo, Super launching simultaneously on SNES and Genesis, Super Turbo on 3DO)

And Smash is an evergreen title that will keep selling for years to come.

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 05 November 2019

Clearly Ken=sales.

RolStoppable said:
Smash is trash though.

True, and I especially dislike Ultimate for taking up so much time in Nintendo's presentations (watch their reveal at the VGAs this year be another fucking Smash fighter instead of something actually worthy like Bayonetta 3 or BOTW2 gameplay) but still, sales are sales.

curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:
Smash is trash though.

True, and I especially dislike Ultimate for taking up so much time in Nintendo's presentations (watch their reveal at the VGAs this year be another fucking Smash fighter instead of something actually worthy like Bayonetta 3 or BOTW2 gameplay) but still, sales are sales.

I know people don't like Smash, but this is the biggest crossover in video game history, maybe in all of entertainment. I don't think anyone can blame Nintendo for constantly showing it off. A franchise that started out as a simple brawler of a handful Nintendo characters then becoming the biggest video game crossover of all time. And to add to that the biggest fighting game series ever, beating Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and more. 

Around the Network
Sogreblute said:
curl-6 said:

I know people don't like Smash, but this is the biggest crossover in video game history, maybe in all of entertainment. I don't think anyone can blame Nintendo for constantly showing it off. A franchise that started out as a simple brawler of a handful Nintendo characters then becoming the biggest video game crossover of all time. And to add to that the biggest fighting game series ever, beating Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and more. 

I get that it's big, I just personally find it annoying that even a year after its release they're still likely going to take up precious time in a major presentation just to show DLC for a game I don't give a crap about instead of stuff I desperately need to see like Bayonetta 3, BOTW2, or an exciting new game. I'm willing to bet we don't either any of that at the VGAs, just Fighter 5 and indie crap and probably a boring old port/remaster like Metroid Prime Trilogy HD.

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

I get that it's big, I just personally find it annoying that even a year after its release they're still likely going to take up precious time in a major presentation just to show DLC for a game I don't give a crap about instead of stuff I desperately need to see like Bayonetta 3, BOTW2, or an exciting new game. I'm willing to bet we don't either any of that at the VGAs, just Fighter 5 and indie crap.

It's not annoying for the literal millions of people who get excited over each and every new fighter in Smash. It doesn't matter how little you care, new characters in Smash are a big deal, and it's inevitable that there will be a large focus on that, and there will continue to be. I'm sorry Nintendo prefers catering to the general audience they're appealing to, instead of catering specifically to you and your tastes.

As for the game awards, personally I feel like both Bayonetta 3 and the 5th DLC fighter will be unveiled there.

See, if they show Bayonetta 3, I'm more than happy for them to show Smash as well. It just feels like they keep showing Smash instead of stuff I'd much rather see is all, like "oh we don't need to show them new games or stuff we've kept them waiting literal years for, just throw 'em another Smash fighter and that'll shut them up."

An amazing achievement. And the Switch is very much so responsible for many of these franchises reaching new heights in terms of sales. But yeah, Smash is now the king baby!

I'm pretty sure showing off Bayonetta 3 is not even Nintendo's decision to make. You'll have to hit up Platinum for that. And by Platinum, I mean Hideki Kamiya... Good luck with that. Tell me how it goes.

Why does this website hate Smash?

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."