By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 26 October 2019

X1 really needs to be pulled from the market, it's embarrasing.



Around the Network

According to VGC data, Switch sold last year from 27 oct 2018 to end of the year 8'1M and PS4 did 6'7M. Switch just doing the same as last year will put Switch sales around 19M in 2019 and 48'5M lifetime. It seems really probable Switch, thanks to Lite at 200$, is going to reach 20M this year and end close to 50M lifetime by the end of the year. Impressive stuff. Will this be the peak year of Switch?? I still think so, but who knows...

As for PS4, if the holiday season follow the % drop of all the year, PS4 should sell around 5-5'5M in the same period, so it seems PS4 is going to sell around 14'5-15'0M in 2019 as expected. That will put PS4 sales around 106'5-107'0M sold to consumers lifetime. If PS5 launches in November 2020, PS4 should add another 10M by then, so we can start to get a clearer picture of where PS4 will end when it's all said and done.



So the extra $4 in taxes and volcano attacks didn't affect Switch sales in Japan as much as was thought?



- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:

So the extra $4 in taxes and volcano attacks didn't affect Switch sales in Japan as much as was thought?

They didn’t, as you can see ps4 sales are almost identical as previous weeks whilst switch sales increased.



So Switch did better than we thought, which was already pretty good. Great sales overall. PS4 got a boost cause of COD right ?
Next weeks are going to be good for Switch. Dunno what Nintendo will have in store for black friday and holidays but they already have strong lineup. Switch def going over 20 million this year, maybe the peak, but honestly and can keep going around the same numbers next year with other system sellers and a price cut.

They can start doing limited editions, which the first actual one is coming out this week for Pokemon if I'm not mistaken.



Around the Network

Now we at least have a proper gap for Switch, but PS4 still stubbornly holding 200k weekly sales.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

colafitte said:

According to VGC data, Switch sold last year from 27 oct 2018 to end of the year 8'1M and PS4 did 6'7M. Switch just doing the same as last year will put Switch sales around 19M in 2019 and 48'5M lifetime. It seems really probable Switch, thanks to Lite at 200$, is going to reach 20M this year and end close to 50M lifetime by the end of the year. Impressive stuff. Will this be the peak year of Switch?? I still think so, but who knows...

As for PS4, if the holiday season follow the % drop of all the year, PS4 should sell around 5-5'5M in the same period, so it seems PS4 is going to sell around 14'5-15'0M in 2019 as expected. That will put PS4 sales around 106'5-107'0M sold to consumers lifetime. If PS5 launches in November 2020, PS4 should add another 10M by then, so we can start to get a clearer picture of where PS4 will end when it's all said and done.

Pending on announced games for 2020 - I think next year could be the peak Switch year.

We still havnt seen a pricedrop and when the PS5 and Scarlett releases I definately think Nintendo has some wiggle room to be very agressive to compete during the holiday and after. Perma drop OG to 249$ and a Lite 169$ and it's going to be a no brainer for anyone remotely interested in Nintendo games.

Granted we know close to nothing about Switchs output next year but if they get a few more heavy hitters outside of Animal Crossing (which will obviously happen) I think we're in for a 20M+ year next fiscal year and after that sales will drop.



Mbolibombo said:
colafitte said:

According to VGC data, Switch sold last year from 27 oct 2018 to end of the year 8'1M and PS4 did 6'7M. Switch just doing the same as last year will put Switch sales around 19M in 2019 and 48'5M lifetime. It seems really probable Switch, thanks to Lite at 200$, is going to reach 20M this year and end close to 50M lifetime by the end of the year. Impressive stuff. Will this be the peak year of Switch?? I still think so, but who knows...

As for PS4, if the holiday season follow the % drop of all the year, PS4 should sell around 5-5'5M in the same period, so it seems PS4 is going to sell around 14'5-15'0M in 2019 as expected. That will put PS4 sales around 106'5-107'0M sold to consumers lifetime. If PS5 launches in November 2020, PS4 should add another 10M by then, so we can start to get a clearer picture of where PS4 will end when it's all said and done.

Pending on announced games for 2020 - I think next year could be the peak Switch year.

We still havnt seen a pricedrop and when the PS5 and Scarlett releases I definately think Nintendo has some wiggle room to be very agressive to compete during the holiday and after. Perma drop OG to 249$ and a Lite 169$ and it's going to be a no brainer for anyone remotely interested in Nintendo games.

Granted we know close to nothing about Switchs output next year but if they get a few more heavy hitters outside of Animal Crossing (which will obviously happen) I think we're in for a 20M+ year next fiscal year and after that sales will drop.

4th or 5th year - The Peak year. 

6th, 7th years- Transitional years 

8th, 9th - Limbo years



colafitte said:

According to VGC data, Switch sold last year from 27 oct 2018 to end of the year 8'1M and PS4 did 6'7M. Switch just doing the same as last year will put Switch sales around 19M in 2019 and 48'5M lifetime. It seems really probable Switch, thanks to Lite at 200$, is going to reach 20M this year and end close to 50M lifetime by the end of the year. Impressive stuff. Will this be the peak year of Switch?? I still think so, but who knows...

As for PS4, if the holiday season follow the % drop of all the year, PS4 should sell around 5-5'5M in the same period, so it seems PS4 is going to sell around 14'5-15'0M in 2019 as expected. That will put PS4 sales around 106'5-107'0M sold to consumers lifetime. If PS5 launches in November 2020, PS4 should add another 10M by then, so we can start to get a clearer picture of where PS4 will end when it's all said and done.

Yeah, I'm thinking either this year or next year will be the peak for Switch but it's hard to tell since we don't really know what it has lined up for big games outside of Animal Crossing or how the Lite model will push sales long term or if any new revisions or price reductions will happen.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Now that's more like it. Switch outsells every other system combined.

With Luigi's Mansion arriving the week after this, then Pokemon two weeks later, then the holiday season, it's about to go into hypermode. 

Also, this is COD week right, is that why both PS4 and Xbone are up slightly?



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.