By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 43, 2019 (Oct 21 - Oct 27)

Chrkeller said:
Mario Kart cracks me up. Between the Wii U and Switch, how many copies have they sold?

As of last count, 27.45M copies have been shipped globally. 19.01M for the Switch version and 8.44M for the Wii U version.



Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Around the Network

Switch might be in contention for the best ever year for a home console in Japan.

Please someone correct me on this, but I believe the PS2 sold 4.3-4.4m units in 2001, and looking at the trajectory from last year where the Switch managed to sell 1.6 m units from this point onwards, 4.5m for the year is not out of question with Pokemon, Ringfit, Luigi's Mansion and Mario Maker giving it a big a momentum.

Also, I've seen games that do what Ring Fit did in its second week (barely drop in sales), and taking into consideration the timing (right before the holidays), this might just exceed expectations and break a million or more in Japan. I would not be surprised, the appeal seems to be world wide at the moment and the timing of it all might carry it well into the holidays. 



So with no system-selling new releases, taxes, typhoons, etc, I believe this is the first week post-Lite where Switch is left to its own devices with no significant stimuli to push it up or down.

Or did I overlook something?



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

So with no system-selling new releases, taxes, typhoons, etc, I believe this is the first week post-Lite where Switch is left to its own devices with no significant stimuli to push it up or down.

Or did I overlook something?

Ring Fit seems to be moving hardware of the OG model



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

kopstudent89 said:

Switch might be in contention for the best ever year for a home console in Japan.

Please someone correct me on this, but I believe the PS2 sold 4.3-4.4m units in 2001, and looking at the trajectory from last year where the Switch managed to sell 1.6 m units from this point onwards, 4.5m for the year is not out of question with Pokemon, Ringfit, Luigi's Mansion and Mario Maker giving it a big a momentum.

Also, I've seen games that do what Ring Fit did in its second week (barely drop in sales), and taking into consideration the timing (right before the holidays), this might just exceed expectations and break a million or more in Japan. I would not be surprised, the appeal seems to be world wide at the moment and the timing of it all might carry it well into the holidays. 

Seriously, not more? I was expecting more something like 5.5M for the PS2 peak in Japan...

And I agree. What's more, if sales stay over those from last year during the holiday season, it comes dangerously close to the best 3DS year, even!

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 03 November 2019

Around the Network
kopstudent89 said:

Switch might be in contention for the best ever year for a home console in Japan.

Not to take anything away from Switch's success (it'll easily sell more lifetime in Japan than any PS system), but isn't it a bit much to argue that Switch Lite is a home console? Or is it me that's missing Switch being on pace to set the record anyway without Switch Lite numbers?



I'm very curious to see how PS5 does in Japan. Doubtless it will get all the big AAA franchises by default, like Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, etc, but then so did the PS4, and while PS4 has done pretty well in Japan, its starting to look like it might fall short of PS3 lifetime. If so, will PS5 continue this downward trend since the PS2, or break it?



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

I'm very curious to see how PS5 does in Japan. Doubtless it will get all the big AAA franchises by default, like Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, etc, but then so did the PS4, and while PS4 has done pretty well in Japan, its starting to look like it might fall short of PS3 lifetime. If so, will PS5 continue this downward trend since the PS2, or break it?

I don't see why it wouldn't continue the downward sales of dedicated home consoles. Mobile gaming is growing at an excessive rate in Japan.

As Newzoo puts it (link): "The Japanese gaming market is now nearly the same size as North America’s with roughly one-third of the number of gamers. In fact, Japanese gamers spend most of any country, particularly for mobile games."

Sony's Fate/Grand Order continues to be the top grossing mobile game worldwide largely due to Japan.

Last edited by Replicant - on 04 November 2019

Replicant said:
curl-6 said:

I'm very curious to see how PS5 does in Japan. Doubtless it will get all the big AAA franchises by default, like Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, etc, but then so did the PS4, and while PS4 has done pretty well in Japan, its starting to look like it might fall short of PS3 lifetime. If so, will PS5 continue this downward trend since the PS2, or break it?

I don't see why it wouldn't continue the downward sales of dedicated home consoles. Mobile gaming is growing at an excessive rate in Japan.

As Newzoo puts it (link): "The Japanese gaming market is now nearly the same size as North America’s with roughly one-third of the number of gamers. In fact, Japanese gamers spend most of any country, particularly for mobile games."

Sony's Fate/Grand Order continues to be the top grossing mobile game worldwide largely due to Japan.

Revenue  is not net profit



Agente42 said:

Revenue  is not net profit

Huh?