By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 43, 2019 (Oct 21 - Oct 27)

Replicant said:
curl-6 said:

I'm very curious to see how PS5 does in Japan. Doubtless it will get all the big AAA franchises by default, like Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, etc, but then so did the PS4, and while PS4 has done pretty well in Japan, its starting to look like it might fall short of PS3 lifetime. If so, will PS5 continue this downward trend since the PS2, or break it?

I don't see why it wouldn't continue the downward sales of dedicated home consoles. Mobile gaming is growing at an excessive rate in Japan.

As Newzoo puts it (link): "The Japanese gaming market is now nearly the same size as North America’s with roughly one-third of the number of gamers. In fact, Japanese gamers spend most of any country, particularly for mobile games."

Sony's Fate/Grand Order continues to be the top grossing mobile game worldwide largely due to Japan.

Revenue  is not net profit

Around the Network
Agente42 said:

Revenue  is not net profit

Huh?

Replicant said:
kopstudent89 said:

Switch might be in contention for the best ever year for a home console in Japan.

Not to take anything away from Switch's success (it'll easily sell more lifetime in Japan than any PS system), but isn't it a bit much to argue that Switch Lite is a home console? Or is it me that's missing Switch being on pace to set the record anyway without Switch Lite numbers?

Fair point there. I do think it still has a chance (OG Switch that is) but definitely the Switch Lite should not be included.

Replicant said:
curl-6 said:

I'm very curious to see how PS5 does in Japan. Doubtless it will get all the big AAA franchises by default, like Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, etc, but then so did the PS4, and while PS4 has done pretty well in Japan, its starting to look like it might fall short of PS3 lifetime. If so, will PS5 continue this downward trend since the PS2, or break it?

I don't see why it wouldn't continue the downward sales of dedicated home consoles. Mobile gaming is growing at an excessive rate in Japan.

As Newzoo puts it (link): "The Japanese gaming market is now nearly the same size as North America’s with roughly one-third of the number of gamers. In fact, Japanese gamers spend most of any country, particularly for mobile games."

Sony's Fate/Grand Order continues to be the top grossing mobile game worldwide largely due to Japan.

True, I was meaning more in terms of Playstation hardware specifically though; if (and that's still an if) PS4 sells less than PS3 lifetime in Japan, will PS5 sell even less again, or is there some way it can buck the trend.

If PS5 doesn't put up a stronger fight than PS4, Switch may never see a serious challenge to its dominance there in the dedicated gaming space, at least not until its own replacement.

curl-6 said:
Replicant said:

I don't see why it (= PS5) wouldn't continue the downward sales of dedicated home consoles. Mobile gaming is growing at an excessive rate in Japan.

True, I was meaning more in terms of Playstation hardware specifically though; if (and that's still an if) PS4 sells less than PS3 lifetime in Japan, will PS5 sell even less again, or is there some way it can buck the trend.

If PS5 doesn't put up a stronger fight than PS4, Switch may never see a serious challenge to its dominance there in the dedicated gaming space, at least not until its own replacement.

With bold, I meant to say that I don't see why PS5 wouldn't continue the downward sales trend. PS4 literally had everything. A mainline Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Persona, Nier, etc. Considering the ongoing growth of mobile gaming, I think that the conditions for PS5 would have to be even better for it to not sell less than PS4 and I don't see that happening. At least, a lot of Japanese developers manage to find success in the West, so there should be a good chance for PS5 to continue the strong Japanese support.

So yeah, Switch and other Nintendo consoles most likely won't ever see a serious challenge to its dominance in Japan in the dedicated gaming space, at least not from Sony.

Around the Network
Replicant said:
curl-6 said:

Why do people think Pokemon Go is a dead game when it is still in top 10. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:

Why do people think Pokemon Go is a dead game when it is still in top 10. 

Yeah, that sounds silly.

Pokémon Go is far from dead.

Pkmn go just spiked REALLY high so it seems compatibly dead but if you walk around a decent sized city park and look you can easily spot several ppl playing it.

As for the ps5... It might actually be in serious danger of losing ANY sembence of a competitive market share in Japan. If PS is being managed by westerners, have more troublesome hurdles, and is selling much worse in japan why would the develop to ps5 standards if they can just develop games for both PS4 and switch, spendi g less money on developing it AND get all the global reach they need? Cause with the switch I don't see many devs jumping through the hoops required to truely utilize ps5 level power.

Replicant said:
curl-6 said:

Candy Crush is still a thing? That took over my life briefly in 2013