By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Own up: What's your most hilariously wrong sales prediction so far?

The switch selling +350 million

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Nothing, as I've never been wrong.

Other than the statement I just said anyway.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Dulfite said:
I never said it out loud, but I remember thinking how stupid I thought Microsoft was for purchasing Mojang for Minecraft. I thought they would sell hardly anymore of it, that the market was tapped out, and that they'd lose a fortune. The following is from wiki, showing how stupid I was for this prediction. Microsoft bought Mojang in 2014.

"As of 10 October 2014, the game has sold approximately 60 million copies across all platforms, making it one of the best-selling video games of all time. As of May 2019, over 176 million copies had been sold across all platforms, making it the best-selling video game of all time."

So after they bought it, if I'm reading this correctly, they still sold another 116 million copies. Haha I was terribly wrong.

I made exactly that one too. Probably used a less PC synonym of stupid.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Dulfite said:
I never said it out loud, but I remember thinking how stupid I thought Microsoft was for purchasing Mojang for Minecraft. I thought they would sell hardly anymore of it, that the market was tapped out, and that they'd lose a fortune. The following is from wiki, showing how stupid I was for this prediction. Microsoft bought Mojang in 2014.

"As of 10 October 2014, the game has sold approximately 60 million copies across all platforms, making it one of the best-selling video games of all time. As of May 2019, over 176 million copies had been sold across all platforms, making it the best-selling video game of all time."

So after they bought it, if I'm reading this correctly, they still sold another 116 million copies. Haha I was terribly wrong.

I made exactly that one too. Probably used a less PC synonym of stupid.

Hurray, I'm not alone!

I never publicly stated it, but...

I thought Mario Maker 2 was gonna be HUGE. I mean, it did fine during its launch, but it really hasn't gained momentum since then. No one really talks about it anymore. It had the makings of being an incredibly popular game: bigger user base, no more YouTube/streaming content claims from Nintendo, online multiplayer. The original Mario Maker gained so much more attention despite being on a console with a much lower user base, and Nintendo's strict YouTube/streaming policies.

Around the Network

Thought the 3DS would cross 100 million...

In the early stages of the Vita and Wii U's lifespans I thought Sony/Nintendo respectively would turn them around and they'd go on to be moderately successful.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 October 2019

In early 2016 I predicted that the Wii U would sell around 20 million units lifetime, and even though I thought I might have slightly overestimated it's total sales, I didn't expect it to die so quickly afterwards that it wouldn't even get to 15 million. At the same time I also predicted that the Xbox One would roughly match the 360's worldwide sales when it was done, but that one is way off as well it seems.