By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Own up: What's your most hilariously wrong sales prediction so far?

I'm alway very cautious and seldomly make large predictions, but I did suggest several times that Nintendo struck a good timing with the WiiU and would be able to gain the support of lots of japanese publishers, which would result in very decent overall performance ..

Around the Network

I don't think I've made a numbered prediction since I said the Wii U would sell at least 40M and be a moderate success. That made me realize that all I was doing was making a stab-in-the-dark guess, just like most other people.

I thought BotW would probably do just a little better than Twilight Princess, and yet, here we are, it will probably finish at approximately 20 million.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I never said it out loud, but I remember thinking how stupid I thought Microsoft was for purchasing Mojang for Minecraft. I thought they would sell hardly anymore of it, that the market was tapped out, and that they'd lose a fortune. The following is from wiki, showing how stupid I was for this prediction. Microsoft bought Mojang in 2014.

"As of 10 October 2014, the game has sold approximately 60 million copies across all platforms, making it one of the best-selling video games of all time. As of May 2019, over 176 million copies had been sold across all platforms, making it the best-selling video game of all time."

So after they bought it, if I'm reading this correctly, they still sold another 116 million copies. Haha I was terribly wrong.

Back in 2012/2013 I used to say that the Wii U would sell 50-60 million lifetime.

Around the Network

I didn't think MK8 DX would outsell MK8.

I don't think I have numbers, but my Switch predictions were extremely pesimistic.

I also used to believe the Wii could outsell the PS2. On my defense, I came here during 2009.

WiiU would sell 70-80 mil. PS4 would stop at 90 mil. XBone would sell 45 mil US.

Currently predicting switch to sell 115 mil.

I thought both the Wii-U and the PSV would sell 40 million each despite coming last in their generation. Too optimistic fam!

I don't remember if I had any hilariously bad predictions.

The most recent one I had, that I can remember anyway, was predicting that Smash will sell less than 20 Million. Still up in the air but its looking like Smash will clear that lifetime total.