By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sniper Elite 3 on Switch is a "superb" port (DF)

DF have analysed the Switch port for Sniper Elite 3, and apparently it's one of the best ports from PS4/Xbone to Switch so far, not only holding up very well in terms of graphics, but arguably better in terms of framerate with a mostly locked 30fps cap as opposed to the unlocked and unstable framerate on PS4/Xbone.
Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 October 2019

Around the Network
cycycychris said:
Sounds like an incredible port that they put a lot of effort into making it work. Hopefully it sells well, but it was kind of a shadow drop though.

Yeah for a game that was practically stealth-released (I wasn't even aware it was out and I follow Nintendo news habitually) they seem to have really gone the extra mile to make it look and run as good as it possibly can.

At first glance its hardly distinguishable from the PS4/Xbone versions, yet it still runs smoothly and has a pretty decent resolution. Definitely one to rank alongside Outlast II, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and Hellblade as among the best Switch ports of a realistically styled current gen game.

I got my hands on the Witcher 3 port as well been lost in it for most of the morning, honestly at times found myself looking down to check I was playing it on the Switch alright. Companies are now doing some good work on their ports and I guess feeling a heck of a lot more comfortable with the Switches hardware and exactly where the limitations are drawn by that.

Support these great ports if you guys have any interest in the titles because with support we'll get more of them!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Well it's also on PS3 and Xbox 360 so I'm not surprised it runs well on Switch.
But that's the thing, it looks like a 7th gen game that was ported to current gen hardware. It doesn't look like a current gen game that was ported to last gen (e.g. Rise of the Tomb Raider). Even Sniper Elite 4 which is quite a big step up from Sniper Elite 3 from a technical perspective barely looks current gen. Rebellion just doesn't have the budget to keep up, so their games always look a bit outdated.

Last edited by Barozi - on 13 October 2019

Barozi said:

But that's the thing, it looks like a 7th gen game that was ported to current gen hardware. It doesn't look like a current gen game that was ported to last gen (e.g. Rise of the Tomb Raider). Even Sniper Elite 4 which is quite a big step up from Sniper Elite 3 from a technical perspective barely looks current gen. Rebellion just doesn't have the budget to keep up, so their games always look a bit outdated.

Ahem, "not only holding up very well in terms of graphics, but arguably better in terms of framerate with a mostly locked 30fps cap as opposed to the unlocked and unstable framerate on PS4/Xbone" so by your logic, this mean ps4/xbox 1 have only last gen power?

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 13 October 2019

Around the Network
Barozi said:

It may not be the most cutting edge game on PS4/Xbone, but the Switch version is still clearly based on the current gen rather than last gen versions, plus given its performance issues even on PS4, the fact Switch runs at a stable clip is commendable I think.

curl-6 said:
Barozi said:

It may not be the most cutting edge game on PS4/Xbone, but the Switch version is still clearly based on the current gen rather than last gen versions, plus given its performance issues even on PS4, the fact Switch runs at a stable clip is commendable I think.

What's he saying is that game itself doesn't look much like 8th gen game to start with, no matter the platform (runs on potato PCs, just like Rocket League previously). And that performance issues are with 60fps on PS4 and XBO.

I have it on PC, I always liked SE games, I thought SE3 was ok. I find that SE4 is much better game, both gameplay wise and visually, but it's nice seeing more potential audience being exposed to franchise.

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

What's he saying is that game itself doesn't look much like 8th gen game to start with, no matter the platform (runs on potato PCs, just like Rocket League previously). And that performance issues are with 60fps on PS4 and XBO.

I have it on PC, I always liked SE games, I thought SE3 was ok. I find that SE4 is much better game, both gameplay wise and visually, but it's nice seeing more potential audience being exposed to franchise.

I'm aware performance issues were due to targeting (but failing to reach) 60fps, where I'm coming from is more that given we've had games that run considerably better on PS4 struggle to hold 30fps on Switch, a game with an unstable 30-60fps on PS4 holding 30fps on Switch is better than I'd generally expect.

curl-6 said:
HoloDust said:

I'm aware performance issues were due to targeting (but failing to reach) 60fps, where I'm coming from is more that given we've had games that run considerably better on PS4 struggle to hold 30fps on Switch, a game with an unstable 30-60fps on PS4 holding 30fps on Switch is better than I'd generally expect.

Yeah, it seems like really good Switch port. Honestly, I have no idea why PS4 and XBO versions were struggling with 60fps, game really ran fine on (at this point) 10+ year old PCs.

Why is anyone excited about a 5 year old game port lol... 

User was banned for trolling due to this post  - cycycychris 

Last edited by cycycychris - on 13 October 2019