By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So.. CNBC says Xbox has sold 46.9 WW, any thoughts?

CuCabeludo said:
Random_Matt said:
So poor sales, everyone knows that already.

It is expected. MS will put their games on Console, PC and xCloud on day 1, so the player can choose where he wants to play. I predict in the next 10 years cloud gaming on mobile growth will be as big as mobile gaming in the past 10 years.

Wasn't having a dig, I'm glad their games go on PC, it is where I play.

Around the Network
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Today, Microsoft still struggles to sell consoles in Japan. Of the 46.9 million Xbox Ones sold worldwide through the second quarter of 2019, just 0.3% of them have been in Japan, according to the International Data Corporation.

According to Famitsu. XBOX ONE sold 108,000 in Japan (as of September 2019.)

108,000 ÷ 0,003 = 36,000,000

Yeah, already said it

Chris Hu said:
Agente42 said:

yeah. Some of the third parties and almost every indie publisher find better sales on Switch. 

I highly doubt that, third party support is still lacking overall on the Switch.  Nintendo is great when it comes to first party sales but that was the case already when they still had third party support from everyone in the NES and SNES era.

Third party support is different than some third parties finding success. It's a gamble and not rock science. The thirds don't believe a Switch great sales. 

Wyrdness said:
Conina said:

Famitsu‘s numbers are also just estimates. And the 0.3% can be anything from 0.25 to 0.34999999 percent, if it is rounded to one digit. 

for example: 110,000 / 0.25% are 44 million

Yet their estimates are more trust worthy than an article that said 45m last year and 46m this year.

I couldnt find any article from CNBC from last year. Could you send me the link?

chakkra said:
Wyrdness said:

Yet their estimates are more trust worthy than an article that said 45m last year and 46m this year.

I couldnt find any article from CNBC from last year. Could you send me the link?

Someone linked it in this very thread.

https://segmentnext.com/2018/07/31/nintendo-switch-sales-2/

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
chakkra said:

Someone linked it in this very thread.

https://segmentnext.com/2018/07/31/nintendo-switch-sales-2/

Errr... I'm confused here. That is a different website.. and those articles have absolutely nothing to do with each other...

Jigsawx1 said:
zorg1000 said:

Can we agree in the middle and say Xbox One has sold average? It's no sales disaster like Wii U or Vita (sub-20m) but not a beast like PS4 or Switch (over 100m) or would average be something a bit higher like 3DS (~75m)?

The Switch is at 38 million at the moment why are you so sure that they will reach 100 million? i think after the release of xbox scarlett and ps5 switch sales will drop alot.

Do you still think Switch won't outsell the Xbox One in lifetime sales, as you insisted back in 2017/2018?

I can't access the link, but it seems to be some kind of ghetto NBC subsidiary from the US. Many in Reddit are saying it is a fake news channel, so they could just be making those numbers up completely and just happened to be close to the mark by chance.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Today, Microsoft still struggles to sell consoles in Japan. Of the 46.9 million Xbox Ones sold worldwide through the second quarter of 2019, just 0.3% of them have been in Japan, according to the International Data Corporation.

According to Famitsu. XBOX ONE sold 108,000 in Japan (as of September 2019.)

108,000 ÷ 0,003 = 36,000,000

Yep, as Oneee-Chan!!! has posted above the numbers make zero sense. Even in the best case scenario that 0.3% is rounded from 0.25%.

If Japan equals 0.3% of total sales as the article says that would put global sales at 36m.

If the 0.3% is rounded from 0.25% then that would put global sales at 43.2m still markedly below the figure they give.

They give two figures that don't make any sense when verified through Famitsu, a much more reliable source. Even when given the benefit of the doubt to the most extreme degree possible.

In other words the articles numbers are inaccurate.

Jumpin said:
I can't access the link, but it seems to be some kind of ghetto NBC subsidiary from the US. Many in Reddit are saying it is a fake news channel, so they could just be making those numbers up completely and just happened to be close to the mark by chance.

It is an (30 years old) established business news channel worth roughly $4 billion with coverage of U.S. and international financial markets: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNBC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Data_Corporation

And IDC is one of the bigger market research companies with thousands of analysts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Data_Corporation

But sure, let's just ignore or ridicule their estimates because the estimates of some other analysts are more in line with our own bias.