By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: W39, 2019 (Sep 23 - Sep 29)

Good stuff overall for everything aside from Vita Hardware, I wonder if it will have any push at all during the holidays.

Around the Network

Nice opening for DQ11 considering it's releasing two years after the initial version.

Switch to PS4 hardware ratio at 8 to 1.

JRPGfan said:
nero said:

In a few minutes the results will be available. How much do you think DQXI S and Atelier both PS4 and SW versions did?

Supposedly Atelier Ryza did really well in japan, its first week sales where over 150k.

That was shipped + digital, but still very good numbers. Especially as it was slightly undershipped.

MasonADC said:
Blood_Tears said:

It actually did very well last year in the US compared to previous installments. 

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/10/24/dragon-quest-11-sales/#/slide/1

"According to the NPD’s Mat Piscatella, Dragon Quest XI‘s launch sales have been the greatest in franchise history, which dates all the way back to Dragon Warrior on the NES. Perhaps more impressive, and maybe even surprising, is that he says the launch sales were more than double those of Dragon Quest IX‘s, which was not only the last core entry of the series to release in North America, but it was also published by Nintendo.
Dragon Quest XI certainly got quite a push this year from Square Enix, but many were worried the game would underperform due to its release timing, mere days before the record-obliterating Marvel’s Spider-Man. While Dragon Quest XI is admittedly more of a niche title in the west, it seems like the extra juice is paying off, at least for the launch period."

Also, it even charted at number 2 in it's launch week in the UK behind Spiderman. Plus keep in mind it did launch for PC in the west and steam spy has it currently between 200k-500k owners. A lot of people would have picked up these versions over the last year for cheap and only the hard core Switch fans will likely pick this up. I highly doubt the Switch version will outsell the PS4 one, especially with LM3 and Pokémon launching in the next month and 6 weeks respectively. Switch owners will have likely moved on at that point anyways. 

I’m on mobile right now, so I can’t get the link, but after two months DQ11 outside of Japan shipped+ digital was like 400k lol. I’m sure it crawled it’s way to 500 or 600k, but IX ended with over a million outside of Japan 

I don't know how many threads this argument will just keep appearing in. Shipped + digital for DQXI in the West was ~800k as of Nov 2018. Source

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I also wanted to add this comparison for DQ Remakes/Re-releases (Source is Famitsu):

I think DQXI has done fine. It's released so close to original launch, so the demand didn't really have time to build like it did for the others. It makes perfect sense why it's lower. Switch HW was fantastic though. Huge numbers.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
JRPGfan said:

Supposedly Atelier Ryza did really well in japan, its first week sales where over 150k.

That was shipped + digital, but still very good numbers. Especially as it was slightly undershipped.

MasonADC said:

I’m on mobile right now, so I can’t get the link, but after two months DQ11 outside of Japan shipped+ digital was like 400k lol. I’m sure it crawled it’s way to 500 or 600k, but IX ended with over a million outside of Japan 

I don't know how many threads this argument will just keep appearing in. Shipped + digital for DQXI in the West was ~800k as of Nov 2018. Source

The issue with that source is that it is using sell through numbers to determine shipped numbers. If sell through was really 3.2 million, shouldn't shipped be 3.4 or 3.5 million? Also, it doesn't account for any sales in Asia outside of Japan. So yeah, definitely not 800k. 

Around the Network

Wow back to back weeks of massive sales for the Switch!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Globally, and including digital, DQ11 should have no trouble joining the third party million plus sellers club in short order.

Also, hardware wise, over 400k globally basically confirmed for Switch this week. Will be interesting to see where it ends up, might even be closer to 500k.

Great HW sales. Plan to do predictions on it soon!

DQ XI WITH THE HAMMER! The game looks beautiful and I want to buy it but I'm addicted to FE THREE HOUSES right now and I have so many games pending. I hope to take time to buy it soon.

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

Best Selling Games of 2019 (So Far)
01. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 918,997
02; Kingdom Hearts 3 - 838,927
03. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 690,592
04. Super Mario Maker 2 - 644,445
05. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 441,325
06. Minecraft Switch Edition - 420,945
07. Resident Evil 2 - 393,688
08. Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee - 386,182
09. Super Mario Party - 355,046
10. Monster Hunter: World Iceborn - 346,239

Pokemon Sword/Shield could end up becoming the best-selling game of the year during its first weekend alone. Regardless, this will be the 11th year where Pokemon has the best-selling game of the year.

1996: Pokemon Red/Green - 1,663,861
1997: Pokemon Red/Green - 3,995,992
1999: Pokemon Gold/Silver - 3,628,627
2002: Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire - 3,197,762
2006: Pokemon Diamond/Pearl - 4,302,815
2010: Pokemon Black/White - 4,914,813
2012: Pokemon Black 2/White 2 - 2,879,027
2013: Pokemon X/Y - 3,976,829
2016: Pokemon Sun/Moon - 3,246,222
2017: Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon - 2,003,607
2019: Pokemon Sword/Shield - ???