By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: W39, 2019 (Sep 23 - Sep 29)

300k for a "definitive" version in Japan for DQ11 is pretty poor compared to other versions. Is that the worst opening for a mainline DQ game on a Nintendo console? I remember the DS sku's of the older remakes sold more than that at least.

Around the Network

300k is a lot for a 2 year old port. I would expect many people have already bought and played it. I have the ps4 version, thus won't be buying it on the Switch.

Blood_Tears said:
300k for a "definitive" version in Japan for DQ11 is pretty poor compared to other versions. Is that the worst opening for a mainline DQ game on a Nintendo console? I remember the DS sku's of the older remakes sold more than that at least.

300k is super well, considering it’s a port of a game that isn’t even old(just over two years). The regular versions literally came out this generation. The remakes of the older game all had a much more sizable gap between original to remake. So while it is a definitive edition, I’m sure they are super happy with it 

Wow i wasn't expecting Switch to have such a small drop even with DQ.

So we are now sure that these 115.732 are not actually the sum of the two ?

Around the Network
Amnesia said:

The base switch wouldn’t have dipped down to 35k so it is pretty obvious that that’s not the case 

Switch - 115,732
Switch Lite - 80,757
Total: 196,489

MasonADC said:
Amnesia said:

The base switch wouldn’t have dipped down to 35k so it is pretty obvious that that’s not the case 

I was just discussing about this with a friend by phone, it seems that I was totaly ignoring what DQ is in Japan.

MasonADC said:
Blood_Tears said:

300k is super well, considering it’s a port of a game that isn’t even old(just over two years). The regular versions literally came out this generation. The remakes of the older game all had a much more sizable gap between original to remake. So while it is a definitive edition, I’m sure they are super happy with it 

Japan typically accounts for 75% of Dragon Quest sales, maybe more. I made a thread a couple days ago about how DQXI on Switch (from my perspective in the US) seems to be getting a lot of good marketing from Nintendo, and it's been near the top of the eShop charts, etcetera. Someone even mentioned how it might do better on Switch than it did on PS4. If trends follow, then sales in the US would be around 50k ~ 60k (just a rough estimate).

Dragon Quest is insanely huge in Japan. Extremely popular.

No, we don't know sales numbers yet for the US, but given how much buzz the game is getting here, I was anticipating bigger numbers from the land where Dragon Quest is a household name.

Also, I don't think it's fair to say that it's a port, given that the game was planned to release on PS4, Switch, and 3DS (IIRC) early on, and yet the version that ultimately did get released on Switch is not the same game anymore.

So yeah, I'm not a sales expert, but I can say that the numbers I was expecting to see were more than 300k. I don't think 300k is abysmal, though. Maybe not even terrible. But do you really think 300k is "super well"? Not just "regular well"? Or are you exaggerating it's "well-ness" to make a point about how much you disagree with it doing "un-well"? Welp, does that make sense?

(Sorry for the above, just my dumb sense of humor. :P)

Last edited by RaptorChrist - on 02 October 2019

This graph on the first post starts to look scaring.