By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Brain Training for Switch announced

TheMisterManGuy said:
VideoGameAccountant said:
I'm not sure how this will do. So far, Nintendo's most successful endeavors have been their core games. Labo was a flop. Nintendo is certainty going in on it with Brain Age and Ring Fit. I don't see this being the success it was with the DS. Wether it can be a moderate success or another flop will be what determines the direction of these titles.

Still, I wonder what Nintendo has. These games can't be that difficult to make. And we haven't go much from them in 2018 and 2019 (internal developers I mean). So whats 2020 going to be?

How many times are people going to say this? 1.5 million is not a flop. Yeah, it didn't blow up, but it's far from a failure.

For all four maybe. But only one of them sold more than 1 million units (the Toy-Con set). The rest performed horribly. Remember that this was a product Nintendo touted as expending the user base and they heavily advertised. It sold worse than Nintendo's more niche titles like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade

curl-6 said:
VideoGameAccountant said:

Still, I wonder what Nintendo has. These games can't be that difficult to make. And we haven't go much from them in 2018 and 2019 (internal developers I mean). So whats 2020 going to be?

In order to ensure Switch had a killer first year and didn't suffer the Wii U's fate of launching into a protracted drought, Nintendo opened fire with almost all their big first party teams (Zelda team, 3D Mario team, Mario Kart team, Splatoon team, Monolith Soft) in 2017.

The cost of this is that since big games these days take 3 years or more to make, those teams couldn't have another game ready for 2018 or this year. Next year however, is when we should see these teams start to release their second generation Switch games.

That's a good point and it's kind of what I'm thinking. Still, Nintendo has more studios than those that released stuff for 2017. Nonetheless, 2020 could be a huge year for Nintendo.



Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Around the Network
VideoGameAccountant said:

curl-6 said:

In order to ensure Switch had a killer first year and didn't suffer the Wii U's fate of launching into a protracted drought, Nintendo opened fire with almost all their big first party teams (Zelda team, 3D Mario team, Mario Kart team, Splatoon team, Monolith Soft) in 2017.

The cost of this is that since big games these days take 3 years or more to make, those teams couldn't have another game ready for 2018 or this year. Next year however, is when we should see these teams start to release their second generation Switch games.

That's a good point and it's kind of what I'm thinking. Still, Nintendo has more studios than those that released stuff for 2017. Nonetheless, 2020 could be a huge year for Nintendo.

Yeah 2020 could be massive, personally I'm hoping we get BOTW2 and/or the next game from the 3D Mario team. (Fingers crossed for Galaxy 3) 



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

I want that stylus for Mario Maker 2!



Signature goes here!

For all four maybe. But only one of them sold more than 1 million units (the Toy-Con set). The rest performed horribly. Remember that this was a product Nintendo touted as expending the user base and they heavily advertised. It sold worse than Nintendo's more niche titles like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade 

For all intents and purposes, Nintendo considers Labo one single product line. It doesn't really matter if one kit didn't do so hot, so long as it adds to the sales of the product as a whole. It's not a normal video game where each kit needs to sell well on its own. 

Labo inherently has more limited appeal than a typical video game. It isn't even like Nintendo's other non-game products like Brain Age. It's a building toy for kids. Unless you're Lego, that genre is inherently niche. So the fact that 1 million units I total in its first year was actually impressive. Sure, the Robot kit arguably didn't do so hot, but the VR Kit did okay, as well as the Vehicle Kit during the holiday season.

Also it wasn't heavily marketed in reality. You had a reveal trailer dumped onto YouTube, a few commercials, and a marketing stunt of Jimmy Fallon. That's about it. It wasn't in a direct, it wasn't at E3, and Nintendo left it out of their core Switch marketing.



I didn't know the switch had a touch screen until now. :)



Around the Network

Hope they bring this one sooner to the west.

5 years for the 3DS one was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.



German YouTuber and Streamer:

Me trying to write reviews:
Octopath Traveler

Amazon 2020 thread

Switch lite + this will make millions



kirby007 said:
Switch lite + this will make millions

Problem is that it seems l a bunch of the games use the joycons, which makes it less enticing for lite owners.  With this and Ring Fit, it seems like the games that would most benefit from a Switch with a lower entry point are the games that the lite won't really work for. 



JWeinCom said:

Problem is that it seems l a bunch of the games use the joycons, which makes it less enticing for lite owners.  With this and Ring Fit, it seems like the games that would most benefit from a Switch with a lower entry point are the games that the lite won't really work for. 

The Regular Switch still has enough demand for people to buy it in order to play games like this. After all, 2 of the best selling games on the Switch, Super Mario Party and 1-2 Switch, are ones that don't support handheld mode at all. Designing games that require the Joy-Con, or at least are best played with them, as well as more traditional games, is a way for Nintendo to make games for separate systems like they used to, without actually having to design for separate platforms.



TheMisterManGuy said:
JWeinCom said:

Problem is that it seems l a bunch of the games use the joycons, which makes it less enticing for lite owners.  With this and Ring Fit, it seems like the games that would most benefit from a Switch with a lower entry point are the games that the lite won't really work for. 

The Regular Switch still has enough demand for people to buy it in order to play games like this. After all, 2 of the best selling games on the Switch, Super Mario Party and 1-2 Switch, are ones that don't support handheld mode at all. Designing games that require the Joy-Con, or at least are best played with them, as well as more traditional games, is a way for Nintendo to make games for separate systems like they used to, without actually having to design for separate platforms.

The SwitchLite aims people willing to pay less, or non-gamers.

Brain Training aims people willing to pay less, or non-gamers.

This Brain Training game can't be played on a SwitchLite.

That is JWeinCom's point.