By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Brain Training for Switch announced

Signalstar said:
Fuck it. Nintendo might as well try. Brain Age on the Switch cannot be that much of a risk.

Exactly, something like this would take up so little resources that even lukewarm sales would likely turn a profit.

Around the Network

People loved Guitar Hero too .... 12 years ago.

Fads generally don't come back after 12 years.

Soundwave said:

Fads generally don't come back after 12 years.

Do you ever think that Nintendo releases these games because their developers like making them, rather than chasing a supposed fad? Like these games must do well enough for Nintendo to keep letting the teams make them.

VideoGameAccountant said:

Still, I wonder what Nintendo has. These games can't be that difficult to make. And we haven't go much from them in 2018 and 2019 (internal developers I mean). So whats 2020 going to be?

In order to ensure Switch had a killer first year and didn't suffer the Wii U's fate of launching into a protracted drought, Nintendo opened fire with almost all their big first party teams (Zelda team, 3D Mario team, Mario Kart team, Splatoon team, Monolith Soft) in 2017.

The cost of this is that since big games these days take 3 years or more to make, those teams couldn't have another game ready for 2018 or this year. Next year however, is when we should see these teams start to release their second generation Switch games.

Soundwave said:

The 3DS Brain Training flopped hard. People have moved on. There are a million of these types of things available on phones for $0. 

You can also get Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Mario Bros, and countless knock offs of those games, as well as shooters, fighters, sports, and pretty much whatever else you want on a phone for 0 dollars.  That really hasn't stopped those things from succeeding on consoles.  If it's a good product that's marketed well, it'll do fine.  

Soundwave said:

A fad didn't come back after 12 years.

Fixed that since you seemed to be making a very broad conclusion based on one data point.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 01 October 2019

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Still, I wonder what Nintendo has. These games can't be that difficult to make. And we haven't go much from them in 2018 and 2019 (internal developers I mean). So whats 2020 going to be?

In order to ensure Switch had a killer first year and didn't suffer the Wii U's fate of launching into a protracted drought, Nintendo opened fire with almost all their big first party teams (Zelda team, 3D Mario team, Mario Kart team, Splatoon team, Monolith Soft) in 2017.

The cost of this is that since big games these days take 3 years or more to make, those teams couldn't have another game ready for 2018 or this year. Next year however, is when we should see these teams start to release their second generation Switch games.

Also remember, that many of Nintendo's other developers we're still on 3DS games too, so that Complicated the situation. 3DS is done now, so Nintendo has more resources to work with for Switch ganes

I actually enjoyed Big Brain Academy on Switch more than Brain Age and feel like that'd be a better fit on the Switch, but still might get it as I assume it'll be fairly cheap and come bundled w/ a stylus (which will also be useful for Terraria Switch)

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

TheMisterManGuy said:
I'm not sure how this will do. So far, Nintendo's most successful endeavors have been their core games. Labo was a flop. Nintendo is certainty going in on it with Brain Age and Ring Fit. I don't see this being the success it was with the DS. Wether it can be a moderate success or another flop will be what determines the direction of these titles.

How many times are people going to say this? 1.5 million is not a flop. Yeah, it didn't blow up, but it's far from a failure.

For all four maybe. But only one of them sold more than 1 million units (the Toy-Con set). The rest performed horribly. Remember that this was a product Nintendo touted as expending the user base and they heavily advertised. It sold worse than Nintendo's more niche titles like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade

curl-6 said:

That's a good point and it's kind of what I'm thinking. Still, Nintendo has more studios than those that released stuff for 2017. Nonetheless, 2020 could be a huge year for Nintendo.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

curl-6 said:

That's a good point and it's kind of what I'm thinking. Still, Nintendo has more studios than those that released stuff for 2017. Nonetheless, 2020 could be a huge year for Nintendo.

Yeah 2020 could be massive, personally I'm hoping we get BOTW2 and/or the next game from the 3D Mario team. (Fingers crossed for Galaxy 3) 

I want that stylus for Mario Maker 2!

Signature goes here!