Lack of 3rd Party support 0 0.00%

The tablet controller 6 9.38%

The Price 0 0.00%

All of the above 27 42.19%

None of the above 0 0.00%

The Wii killed the Wii U! 1 1.56%

WTH! The Wii U was a success! 2 3.13%

Total:64

I did not own a Wii, but did buy and actually really enjoy the Wii U. Many games I really like playing to this day (Splatoon, NSMBU, 3D World, Pikmin 3, Breath of the wild, Rayman Legends, Mario Maker, Lego City undercover, Mario Kart 8, and more I am missing). I even find the gamepad fairly comfortable to use myself, and use the pro controller still on my switch.

I think there are multiple reasons it didn't do well, but would have liked to see it do better since me and my family have gotten a lot of entertainment from this system.

Around the Network
SammyGiireal said:

@RolStoppable

The Switch remains the most powerful dedicated handheld around. So yes, specs matter. You are paying 300 dollars and you are getting great tech as far as Handhelds go. 200 if you get the lite version. The Wii U was hampered by a collection of issues, horsepower being one of them.

If specs were what mattered for a handheld, then the Vita would have been a good deal at $250.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

The easiest answer to this essay is the handheld line.

"Hardcore gamers" (whatever that even means) and their infinite demands for visual glory never stopped the handheld line from succeeding. The answer is that good gameplay trumps cutting edge. And the Wii was very well served by Nintendo (1st party) in that department. Your essay mentions that Nintendo sinned HW-wise and so there lacked 3rd party games due to low horse-power. But your essay says it also itself, that MG1&2 are legendary games, still great to play today, Skyward Sword still today has the best motion controls ever (it's a pity that legacy ended), and so the sin was on 3rd parties to not capitalize on the Nintendo's success. But who can blame them? They are human after all, and make mistakes.

You know, nobody's perfect.

Lots of factors contributed to the Wii U's failure, but really the games are by far the most important thing.  Nintendo can, and often does, get most things wrong, but when their games are good enough it doesn't matter.  Look, the Switch is underpowered, has a crappy paid online service and got rid of the Virtual Console.  It has expensive HD rumble joycons that have no killer app to showcase this technology.  Has any of those things kept the Switch from succeeding?  Nope.  If the games are good enough, then that is all you really need.

More specifically, they didn't make killer apps for their Wii fanbase.  The really big franchises on the Wii were: Wii Sports, Wii Fit, 2D Mario, and Mario Kart.  The Wii U got no Wii Sports or Wii Fit game.  Most 2D Mario fans consider the Wii U game to be disappointing.  That really only leaves Mario Kart.  Mario Kart, by itself, is not enough to make a console succeed.  Both the N64 and Gamecube had good Mario Kart games, but those consoles still got stomped on by Sony.  So in the end Nintendo didn't have the killer apps that the Wii audience was looking for.

Also, the most important time for Nintendo to launch a killer app is in the first 12 months.  I actually think if Nintendo could have somehow gotten Breath of the Wild, Mario Maker, and Splatoon out in the first 12 months, then the Wii U would have done a lot better.  Switch had 4 heavy hitters during its first year: BotW, Mario Kart 8 D, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey.  Wii U didn't have any games during it's first 12 months that were as strong as any of these games.

Nintendo consoles succeed when they have a very popular killer app (or apps) that launch early in the consoles lifetime, especially during the first 12 months.  The Wii U didn't have that, and that is by far the biggest reason why it failed.

Pretty much what everyone else said.
I bought a Wii U on day one with nsmbu, call of duty black ops 2, and Nintendo Land.

I think I was back to playing on my Xbox 360 before the day was over. You can't sell a PS3/360 console with no compelling software, lackluster online, worse performance, and a higher price tag. It was suicide.

With that said, I really liked the game pad . It made a lot of games more fun and playing two players in the same room with my own screen was pretty awesome.

mZuzek loves Starfox Adventures

Around the Network

Leave the Wii U alone! She was trying her best!

To me, it was the most unappealing major home console release of all time. I didn't even think about buying one. It's fine and dandy and all that. In a vaccum. None among the big 3 have ever released a truly bad system, and the Wii-U was not bad by any any means. Just not close at all to what MS and Sony were offering. I like Nintendo more than MS. No doubt. But I'll take an XBO and a fart into my face over a Wii-U any day.

Chinese food for breakfast

padib said:

The easiest answer to this essay is the handheld line.

"Hardcore gamers" (whatever that even means) and their infinite demands for visual glory never stopped the handheld line from succeeding. The answer is that good gameplay trumps cutting edge. And the Wii was very well served by Nintendo (1st party) in that department. Your essay mentions that Nintendo sinned HW-wise and so there lacked 3rd party games due to low horse-power. But your essay says it also itself, that MG1&2 are legendary games, still great to play today, Skyward Sword still today has the best motion controls ever (it's a pity that legacy ended), and so the sin was on 3rd parties to not capitalize on the Nintendo's success. But who can blame them? They are human after all, and make mistakes.

You know, nobody's perfect.

The sin wasn't on third parties, they will go wherever the money is. The sin is on Nintendo. They launched an over priced, out dated console into the market without a first party killer app so no one bought the system. 3rd parties won't jump into a system with a low installed base.

I mean

Bad marketing. Not many outside of this type of crowd knew what it was. My dad still thinks it's a Wii add-on.

Lack of games. Yeah, it got Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, some side scrolling Mario titles, and BotW (for what it was worth at that point). But that was really about all there was to write home about, both from 1st- and 3rd-parties.

Tablet controller... Yeah...

Power/Price... It just wasn't worth it.

Wii U was a perfect storm of bad decisions wrought on by Nintendo's hubris.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Software. The answer is almost always the software.

The name, also known as marketing, did not help.

NNID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing/Backlog:
Wii U - Currently Gaming Like It's 2014 (Hyrule Warriors) - 11 games in backlog
3DS - Currently Gaming Like It's 2013 (Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon) - 7 games in backlog
PC - Currently Gaming Like It's 2012 (Borderlands 2) - 11 games in backlog
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links