By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 14 September 2019 (PS4 Tops 100M)

EricHiggin said:

Just thought about this, but since Switch Lite is handheld only, it's going to count towards Switch hybrid console sales? I realize this isn't cut and dry because of it's initial hybrid nature, but PS4 and XB1 are just home consoles, plus the mid gen upgrades, so adding Switch Lite to Switch sales doesn't exactly seem right to me.

I mean, while not all that likely, if a late PS4 Portable, that was digital only, came to market, would it or should it really fall under PS4 sales?

I dunno. Just an odd situation in comparison to the past.

It's a mess. And there will be talk about what a mess we have to talk about, because it's a mess. The Switch Lite is a handheld. A pure portable device. Replete with all the economical benefits that accompany a handheld console. Which when you come down to it, is the most important difference between a handheld and a home console when talking about sales. It's why the distinction is made. People will take this into account when giving even a modicum of thought to the dynamics of the situation. As they should.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
EricHiggin said:

Just thought about this, but since Switch Lite is handheld only, it's going to count towards Switch hybrid console sales? I realize this isn't cut and dry because of it's initial hybrid nature, but PS4 and XB1 are just home consoles, plus the mid gen upgrades, so adding Switch Lite to Switch sales doesn't exactly seem right to me.

I mean, while not all that likely, if a late PS4 Portable, that was digital only, came to market, would it or should it really fall under PS4 sales?

It's a mess. And there will be talk about what a mess we have to talk about, because it's a mess. The Switch Lite is a handheld. A pure portable device. Replete with all the economical benefits that accompany a handheld console. Which when you come down to it, is the most important difference between a handheld and a home console when talking about sales. It's why the distinction is made. People will take this into account when giving even a modicum of thought to the dynamics of the situation. As they should.

The naming scheme is the worst part, because it's along the same lines as PS4 and Pro. It's marketed that way for less confusion especially in terms of games, and the Switch isn't any different, just instead of adding an upgraded model, it's more of a downgrade, but still fit's in the same platform in terms of marketing. People even pointed out how weird it would be to call it Switch something if it doesn't actually switch, like the Switch.

The difference however is that PS4 and Pro are clearly both home consoles, yet while Switch is a hybrid, Switch Lite is a handheld, so marketing aside, they are different types of hardware, even though it's not quite as distinct a separation as pure handheld vs pure console.

Based on what trunks said, it sounds like the sales numbers are separate, and known, and I don't think PS4 sales are done that way (no idea about XB1), so to me that would be just another reason to have Switch hardware sales separate.

EricHiggin said:
COKTOE said:

The naming scheme is the worst part, because it's along the same lines as PS4 and Pro. It's marketed that way for less confusion especially in terms of games, and the Switch isn't any different, just instead of adding an upgraded model, it's more of a downgrade, but still fit's in the same platform in terms of marketing. People even pointed out how weird it would be to call it Switch something if it doesn't actually switch, like the Switch.

The difference however is that PS4 and Pro are clearly both home consoles, yet while Switch is a hybrid, Switch Lite is a handheld, so marketing aside, they are different types of hardware, even though it's not quite as distinct a separation as pure handheld vs pure console.

Based on what trunks said, it sounds like the sales numbers are separate, and known, and I don't think PS4 sales are done that way (no idea about XB1), so to me that would be just another reason to have Switch hardware sales separate.

Let's get dirty. I'm gonna put my arm shoulder-deep into the toilet to get this tampon that's clogging it.....The Switch was already not a home console. It was a hybrid. Launched 3 years and 4 months after the PS4 and XBO. For $100 less. So the direct comparisons are already in territory that might cause people to tilt their heads and furrow their brows. Now that the Switch Lite is a thing? Yeesh. I mean, I know what I see, but I expect the discourse over the next few years to be a somewhat annoying affair.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Nate4Drake said:
Good week for Switch and PS4.

Can PS4 pass PSOne by the end of this year ? Just wondering...

CGI-Quality said:
COKTOE said:

Hmmm. I'm thinkin' no. But wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

PS1 sits at 102.49m units sold. Think about that again.

Was just coming to say that...

Then again, I expect PS4 sales to drop off the proverbial cliff from now till around January through march where it will then sell 2M units.

COKTOE said:
EricHiggin said:

Let's get dirty. I'm gonna put my arm shoulder-deep into the toilet to get this tampon that's clogging it.....The Switch was already not a home console. It was a hybrid. Launched 3 years and 4 months after the PS4 and XBO. For $100 less. So the direct comparisons are already in territory that might cause people to tilt their heads and furrow their brows. Now that the Switch Lite is a thing? Yeesh. I mean, I know what I see, but I expect the discourse over the next few years to be a somewhat annoying affair.

At some point, I was pushing to define exactly what the Switch was years ago... For this exact reason.

Ok the Switch "is" a hybrid. Conned so because it could be used as a handheld and a Home console. So what does that make the switch lite? A hybrid too? Obviously not... its strictly a handheld. But I am guessing that if we end up having a version of the switch that can only be used as a home console then well....

Anyways, props to Nintendo for blurring the lines. This is built-in post moving right here lol.

The real head-scratcher though is, doesn't this mean that every windows PC that can play xbox games is basically an xbox? 

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
COKTOE said:

At some point, I was pushing to define exactly what the Switch was years ago... For this exact reason.

Ok the Switch "is" a hybrid. Conned so because it could be used as a handheld and a Home console. So what does that make the switch lite? A hybrid too? Obviously not... its strictly a handheld. But I am guessing that if we end up having a version of the switch that can only be used as a home console then well....

Anyways, props to Nintendo for blurring the lines. This is built-in post moving right here lol.

The real head-scratcher though is, doesn't this mean that every windows PC that can play xbox games is basically an xbox? 

Yeeeeeeesssssss! Also, every annual PSNow sub is now considered a PS4 purchase.

X1 numbers up by 20% over last week and it's dominating the Vita in Japan by over 2:1, Could Gears 5 have turned the around the fate of the X1?

Huge Gratz to the Playstation 4 for joining the 100m club, definitely a well deserving member of the gang that machine is streamlined for gaming and streaming and does a great job at what they set out to do, really is a great piece of kit to have as a part of any gamers setup, even the base model still has fantastic visuals at 1080p 6 years or so after launch there are some titles on there which make me feel like next gen could wait a while.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

RolStoppable said:
Intrinsic said:

You are both trying to make it more complicated than it really is. When Vita TV was counted towards Vita sales, there's no question about it that Switch Lite sales will be counted towards the Switch total.

The 2DS can play literally the same games as the 3ds so it's makes sense that it joins the 3ds family of systems in sales

The Vita TV could play (the majority of) Vita titles from it's library and it had no specific software which couldn't play on the PSVita, ie it's a Vita

The Switch Lite has the exact same library has the Switch, nothing more, nothing less, it is a Nintendo Switch. What form factor it's in makes sweet f all difference to the fact that it's a Switch.

A Windows PC which can play games which are on the Xbox... cannot play something like Halo 5 Guardians, nor can the Xbox 1 play World of Warcraft or StarCraft 2 on it, that is to say a Gaming PC is not an Xbox1 or is an Xbox1 a gaming PC.

This isn't that hard.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

EricHiggin said:

COKTOE said:

Intrinsic said:

Classic examples of taking an ant hill and turning it into a mountain. You guys are making this way more complicated than it has any right to be. The only people talking about this and whatever "mess" it is, is you guys. At first, I was originally on that same boat when the Switch Lite was first revealed, but I jumped off, because I realized that, ultimately, it did not matter. Whether it's handheld only, console only, or a hybrid, at the end of the day, it is still a Nintendo Switch system. That's all there is to it.

EricHiggin said:
SpokenTruth said:

I want to take you seriously but...I just can't.  I can't tell if you're just trying to be funny or if you really see it this way.

Aside from the fact that Switch sales may not look as impressive to some if they aren't combined, I don't see why this seems so crazy. 

If you wanted to say they play the same games, well some games cross platforms, so do sales of those other platforms, for those specific games, count as well?

It's not like there's a blatantly obvious and distinct cut off, but allowing a handheld and console to be considered the same, basically means all hardware sales for any platform that can play some of the same games should be combined into one.

I myself don't really agree with that, but that's just me.

With this genius logic, the 2DS can't be counted in 3DS sales.

It's not even 3D!

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287