Forums - Movies Discussion - How much do you predict The Rise of Skywalker will make?

How much will The Rise of Skywalker gross internationally?

250 Million - 500 Million 1 2.38%

500 Million - 750 Million 4 9.52%

750 Million - 1 Billion 12 28.57%

1 Billion - 1.25 Billion 8 19.05%

1.25 Billion - 1.5 Billion 8 19.05%

1.5 Billion - 2.0 Billion 7 16.67%

2 Billion - 2.25 Billion 0 0.00%

2.25 Billion - 2.5 Billion 0 0.00%

2.5 Billion - 3 Billion 0 0.00%

3 Billion+ 2 4.76%

Total:42
S.Peelman said:
SwitchUP said:
Hopefully zero. This movie and shit series Disney created didnt deserve what it's made. It all feels disconnected from the last. They are trying to use nostalgia to lure the fans, you know, the ones that actually propped up the universe with their money and insane fandom.... and I dont think it will actually work. These movies could have made SEVERAL billions each... instead, they've cancelled some side movies, and made a 180 on this 3rd pile. No amount of the emperor will fix this. No amount of nostalgia and flash backs will fix this. Disney fucked up and made the shittiest star wars anyone could have imagined. The force awakens was actually, in my opinion, an ok start, but the next one, jesus... what a disjointed piece of shit that was. It was a stand alone movie and complete shit.

Disney blew it I agree, still not as bad as how D&D blew it with GoT Season 8 but yeah it could’ve been better. Do you mean The Last Jedi or Rogue One though?

I’d say Rogue One is easily the best of the Disney Star Warzes, and the only one that actually fits and feels like it’s a legitimite and undeniable piece of the story.

I am having high hopes for the two series, The Mandalorian and Ewan McGreggor’s series, especially the latter.

I'm split on that statement. D&D got me to a point where I couldn't even bring myself to watch the series finale; and Ep 8 got me to a point where I actually get genuinely upset every time Youtube recommends me any video related to Ep 9.

Around the Network

I think $1.5 billion or maybe just slightly less.  Here is the advantage of a spinoff movie: even if it sucks it doesn't really harm the main series.  Rogue One didn't make as much as The Last Jedi, mostly because Rogue One is not part of the main series.  But that also means that Solo doesn't really harm the brand either, even though the movie sucked.  Solo isn't part of the main series.

The big question really is: How much did The Last Jedi harm the brand?  I know The Last Jedi had some irritating parts, but it was overall a good movie.  It was not bad on the level of Solo.  On top of that the problems with The Last Jedi can basically be boiled down to this: J. J. Abrams didn't direct it.  I mean that is definitely why there were inconsistencies between it and The Force Awakens.  So, I think people will come back to see the final conclusion of this trilogy, especially since J.J. Abrams is directing it.

It won't do The Force Awakens numbers though.  A lot of its sales came from decades of built up Star Wars demand.  But people like to come back and see the conclusion, so I do think The Rise of Skywalker will do better than The Last Jedi.

pikashoe said:
Ah yes I can't wait for people to go insane over an average film. Force awakens was fine, last jedi was fine. Not terrible, not great just fine. Im astonished by how ott the criticisms of these films are. Honestly anyone that says these are worse than the prequels I find impossible to take seriously.

Yeah. Some people acted like Rian Johnson killed their dog or something. I swear, not even the most hardcore Trekkies hate Star Wars more than some Star Wars fans. TLJ has a 91% from professional critics, the people who as a group actually analyze films as self-contained works of art instead of as objects of fandom. It had good performances, good cinematography, good effects, and otherwise everything that goes into making a movie a movie was good. Not perfect, but still a well-crafted film. But to hear some Star Wars "fans" say it, it's apparently worse than Howard the Duck, Ishtar, Plan 9 from Outer Space, and the filmography of Uwe Boll. All because the movie didn't gel with their personal headcanon. Can you spell "histrionic"?

Disney and Lucasfilm have burned a lot of goodwill with their nonsense. They also didn't prep China for this new trilogy, and both combined (plus the law of diminishing returns) could see it barely reach 1 billion, and that might be me being generous. They're trying to pull the fanservice card with Emperor and Death Star call backs, but that can only go so far. It'll hit number 1 at a low point, maybe do 300 million in North America by the end of January... but I'm pretty sure that's the film's budget right there. They gave to double that in revenue for promotion, and that doesn't even factor in the theater's take (which can be 30% or more).

I don't know, hopefully less than 900 million

Nothing to see here, move along

Around the Network

People act as if the last Jedi was a shit hole, I’d take 10 movies like the last Jedi over any of the prequel films. I think people blame the huge difference between last Jedi and force awakens due to it being the “the worst movie ever made”, when no way ever was last Jedi going to come close to force awakens B.O #. Force awakens was the first true sequel to a loved series that ended in 1983. It likes endgame, marvel won’t have a movie come close to end game B.O numbers probably ever again unless they do another 10 year build up.

Disney hasn’t had that bad of a run with the Star Wars movies:
Force awakens: great movie (imo)
Rogue one: good movie
Last Jedi: good movie
Solo: mediocre movie

I still think this film will come in around 1.4 billion + beating last Jedi.

Disney is going to make sure everyone knows J.J is directing this, they are playing up the nostalgia, they are marketing the end of the skywalker saga etc. It will draw enough die hard Star Wars fans, casuals and Children who love light sabers will beg to go see it etc etc.

Domestic Box Office - $675 Million
Foreign Box Office - ~$850 Million

My guess of the total box office will be around 1.5 Billion

It will clear a billion. Force and Last are so much better than anything Lucas did with Episode I-III. A few online folks have loud voices and are making it appear as though the Disney has messed up the newer movies. Which just isn't an accurate picture. Disney has done very well with both (main) movies in terms of money and reviews, because they are excellent films.  Online people just love overreacting.  I am also in the same camp as not taking anybody serious if they think Episode I-III are better than VII and VIII.  I-III has some of the worst acting and lines I have ever witnessed in a blockbuster movie.  I mean for God's sake, Padame just had twin babies, yet dies from a broken heart....  yeah, cause that makes sense.     

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 24 September 2019

New ones are complete shite, bet Disney just breaks even on this one.

Chrkeller said:

It will clear a billion. Force and Last are so much better than anything Lucas did with Episode I-III. A few online folks have loud voices and are making it appear as though the Disney has messed up the newer movies. Which just isn't an accurate picture. Disney has done very well with both (main) movies in terms of money and reviews, because they are excellent films.  Online people just love overreacting.  I am also in the same camp as not taking anybody serious if they think Episode I-III are better than VII and VIII.  I-III has some of the worst acting and lines I have ever witnessed in a blockbuster movie.  I mean for God's sake, Padame just had twin babies, yet dies from a broken heart....  yeah, cause that makes sense.     

I agree with the bolded completely. People tend to over-estimate the internet when it comes to these things; this movie will still be successful despite online hate. Captain Marvel went over a billion despite all the hate for that one. 

I'm gonna be honest, I've never thought Star Wars movie were any good besides Episode IV & V. In the sense of, I love Star Wars but I know that the movies are not actually good movies. They have plenty examples of terrible acting and bad plotpoints to go along - but that's the thing, Star Wars movies were never good and they're not necessarily meant to be good. They're really fun space fantasies.