By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - How much do you predict The Rise of Skywalker will make?

How much will The Rise of Skywalker gross internationally?

250 Million - 500 Million 1 2.38%

500 Million - 750 Million 4 9.52%

750 Million - 1 Billion 12 28.57%

1 Billion - 1.25 Billion 8 19.05%

1.25 Billion - 1.5 Billion 8 19.05%

1.5 Billion - 2.0 Billion 7 16.67%

2 Billion - 2.25 Billion 0 0%

2.25 Billion - 2.5 Billion 0 0%

2.5 Billion - 3 Billion 0 0%

3 Billion+ 2 4.76%

Total:42

Completely stopped watching any Star Wars movie after I went to the The Force Awakens screening on release day.
Looks like I haven't missed anything with Solo and The Last Jedi.
Only movie I might watch in the future is Rogue One.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
About $650-700M domestic, with the global total being between $1.4-1.5B. Return of the Jedi did marginally better than Empire, and Ep. 3 did about 14% better than Ep. 2, so I expect something similar with Rise of Skywalker.

Yeah, I'm feeling this way too. Thinking somewhere between $1.4-1.5B globally, though I see it being more foreign-heavy with a smaller domestic box office. Either way, I can't see this movie failing as hard as some here are expecting.

Personally, not interested. This franchise has lost me a long time ago now.

RetroGamer94 said:
Force awakens was the first true sequel to a loved series that ended in 1983. It's like endgame, marvel won’t have a movie come close to end game B.O numbers probably ever again unless they do another 10 year build up.

These are entirely different scenarios you're comparing here. The Force Awakens had huge box office numbers because it was the first time in 30 years that people got more of a franchise they loved back then, in the same style of those older films - all the build-up and hype came simply from it being the return of Star Wars, that's what drove people to the theaters.

With Endgame, although there was a 10 year build-up, there were countless movies during those 10 years. The build-up didn't happen because of the lack of content, much the opposite, it happened because the content that was being made regularly was consistently great and as a result the people became more and more interested over time.

This key difference is the exact reason why the MCU has steadily grown in box office numbers over the years, while every Star Wars trilogy to date has always ended with their first film as the highest grossing.

Worldwide I think it'll end up right around The Last Jedi's numbers, but a bigger percentage of the gross will come domestically. So it'll make around $650-700 million in North America (the holidays line up WAY better for it than they did TLJ), but $550-600 million overseas since there will be a further drop from TLJ in Asian markets.

Intel i7-8086k @ 5.1 GHz | Asus Maximus X Hero | 32GB Ballistix Sport LT 2400Mhz RAM | Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti

I'm guessing 1.5 billion globally. As the last in the trilogy it'll most likely outperform The Last Jedi, but I doubt it'll make The Force Awakens' kind of money.

Around the Network
Lenny93 said:
I think most of you guys are underestimating the apathy that many of the hardcore fans feel and the effect that will have on the casual fans and ultimately the bottom line. I took at least 1 additional person to see each of the last mainline Star Wars films, I won’t be anymore and the hardcore fans usually watch the film multiple times. We are worth a substantial amount of the gross as Solo displayed with it’s terrible box office numbers.

I think you dramatically overstate the effect that the "boycot" had on Solo. Solo released at a poor time with pretty poor advertising.

I haven't paid much attention to this (haven't even seen trailers for) but why is this called Rise of Skywalker when the last movie spent nearly the entire time shitting on Luke while he was on screen?

Because Ben is a Skywalker?

Megiddo said:
I haven't paid much attention to this (haven't even seen trailers for) but why is this called Rise of Skywalker when the last movie spent nearly the entire time shitting on Luke while he was on screen?

To trick us into paying them to know the answer to that question. I don't know about you, but I'm not about to fall for that again.

I'd bet lots of money every person in this thread who says they won't see The Rise of Skywalker will in fact see The Rise of Skywalker.

Intel i7-8086k @ 5.1 GHz | Asus Maximus X Hero | 32GB Ballistix Sport LT 2400Mhz RAM | Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti