By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The major third party developer whose sudden loss would be the worst

We all love talking about how much we want, say, E.A to disintegrate, but why not go the other way for a bit. 

Imagine that tomorrow, a major third party developer suddenly vanished. No more games, no more projects, nothing. 

Which one would have the worst affect on the industry as a whole. 

(Note when I say this, I do mean developers who release a fair few games a year. So something like Project Redd or Rockstar aren't really applicable here.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

I can't think of any single developer off of the top of my head, but publisher, probably Take-Two interactive.

1doesnotsimply

Can't think of anyone as far as developers specifically go, but as a publisher, probably Bethesda as without them the Switch wouldn't have Doom, Wolfenstein II, or Skyrim.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 September 2019

No one really, every single publisher/developer (and that includes Sony, Nintendo and MS) is replaceable .

twintail said:
KrspaceT said:

(Note when I say this, I do mean developers who release a fair few games a year. So something like Project Redd or Rockstar aren't really applicable here.

So you are talking about publishers then?

How many 3rd party devs are actually pumping out multiple games a year? 

Ubisoft? 

Around the Network

Capcom!

Capcom.

HoloDust said:
No one really, every single publisher/developer (and that includes Sony, Nintendo and MS) is replaceable .

Replaced by what? When Resident Evil is gone a third class eastern european dev can simply fill the void with their cheap RE knock off?

Hunting Season is done...

Can you imagine the sudden chaos in the gaming world if GTAs would suddenly stop being made?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I'd only weep for studios that bring something unique and cannot be replaced easily. The only studio that comes to mind is Square Enix, because they're the only ones willing to create AAA JRPGs on a regular basis. Wouldn't weep a tear for anyone else. (well, maybe Psyonix)

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Losing Square Enix would suck the most.