By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The major third party developer whose sudden loss would be the worst

I don't know. There was a time where you NEEDED sports games to survive and somewhere along the way, EA became the only company in tried to produce certain games. Capcom pretty much owns the fighting game industry with Street Fighter. Activision and Call of Duty are THE go to online shooter for many gamers. Rockstar leads the industry in immersive open world games.

But somehow the Switch is doing great without top tier support from any of them so... fuck 'em.

Around the Network
Azelover said:
SanAndreasX said:

Losing Square Enix would suck the most.

As far as I'm concerned, we have already lost them.

SE hasn't made a single thing worth a dime from me since they released Final Fantasy XII.

Chrkeller said:
Azelover said:

As far as I'm concerned, we have already lost them.

SE hasn't made a single thing worth a dime from me since they released Final Fantasy XII.

Dragon Quest XI was amazing, but everything FF since XII has been crap.  

Not even the 3DS, PSP, and DS releases? Damn, that's harsh!

To be fair I don't portable game, so I can't speak about the 3DS/PSP/etc. I will say Octopath was solid, nothing amazing, but solid. Either way, DQ11 was superb, one of the best rpgs I have played in a decade.

d21lewis said:
I don't know. There was a time where you NEEDED sports games to survive and somewhere along the way, EA became the only company in tried to produce certain games. Capcom pretty much owns the fighting game industry with Street Fighter. Activision and Call of Duty are THE go to online shooter for many gamers. Rockstar leads the industry in immersive open world games.

But somehow the Switch is doing great without top tier support from any of them so... fuck 'em.

But Super Smash Brothers and Mortal Kombat are the most popular fighting games this generation, and Tekken is as popular as Street Fighter in terms of competitive traditional fighters. 

SanAndreasX said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Sega.

I'm just looking at my Switch third party titles and I have both Puyo Puyo Tetris and Valkyria Chronicles 4, both of which are awesome games.  I will likely get Sonic Mania at some point too.  Sega may not be first party anymore but they still have some of that original first party mojo left in them.

(For all the people looking for "developers" instead of pushlishers, then consider my answer "Sonic Team".)

I said Square Enix, but Sega is right behind them for me. Right now my largest number of third party titles on either Switch or PS4 came from Sega, including VC4 and PPT, and one of my most anticipated games of next year is Project Sakura Wars. Plus, there's also the fact that they now own Atlus and its portfolio of titles. 

I basically feel the same way.  I said Sega, but Square Enix is a close second.

Around the Network
twintail said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I'm pretty sure most of their flagship bi-annual IP are actually made in collaboration with their studios working together. Either way, they own all of the studios that work on their games, and I think most if not all of them even have the Ubisoft name. It seems like they run their studios a lot more like say Nintendo EPD is run, rather than say Retro or Monolith to Nintendo, only with entire studios instead of teams within a larger studio. 

Also they own the studios so they're really a developer and publisher. But if you took the OP to only mean single studio developers, or developers who can't self-publish, I understand. 

There is a main studio for every IP, regardless of whether another main or satellite studio helps. We don't go around calling The Order a Santa Monica game even though they helped on it. We don't call Bloodborne a Studio Japan game even though they helped on it.

Ubisoft functions as a publishing unit, providing funds to their respective development teams,  who are the actual developers.  Ubisoft Montreal is not Ubi Paris, who are not Ubi Toronto, who are not Ubi Singapore, outside of sharing the same parent company.

But yeah, I read it as the individual teams. If that is not the case then yeah I get the overall company angle too.

Yeah I get that, fair enough. I guess to be fair there is a difference between internal development teams and multi-branching studio subsidiaries, like you said. That actually makes me wonder, is Capcom more comparable to something like Nintendo EPD or Ubisoft? They are a very big publisher like Ubisoft but I think most of their teams are internal. Wondering because they'd be the personal pick for the one that effects me.... that or PlatinumGames.

I took it as a company that can both be a publisher and a developer. In which case I think Ubisoft is a likely candidate in terms of how it affects the AAA market. Though companies like EA would also be there as well. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
d21lewis said:

But Super Smash Brothers and Mortal Kombat are the most popular fighting games this generation, and Tekken is as popular as Street Fighter in terms of competitive traditional fighters. 

Hmmm... learned something new today. I think going exclusive to PS4 hurt SFV but (while I knew Smash was always a mega seller since at least the GamecGam days) I thought Tekken had a foot in the grave and I underestimated how well Mortal Kombat and even Injustice were performing.

d21lewis said:

Mortal Kombat and Tekken sell better than Street Fighter nowadays, and Smash outsells both of them. And the Switch got MK, and has a sort-of Tekken.

As for sports, other than baseball, which is dominated by a first-party game now (Sony's MLB The Show), Nintendo never was big into sports, and 2K does at least support them with NBA 2K. Fun fact: in 2018, NBA 2K sold better in the US than Madden did. It's too bad that Nintendo doesn't talk with Konami about bringing PES to the Switch.

HoloDust said:
Zoombael said:

Replaced by what? When Resident Evil is gone a third class eastern european dev can simply fill the void with their cheap RE knock off?

You have something against East Europian devs?

Someone would fill the space...I've seen many publishers and devs go down, some of my favourite ones actually, and eventually someone filled those spots again.

I had a specific developer - which is southern european, not eastern, my mistake - in mind.

I've seen publishers, devs, franchises and genres go down, and many didn't get properly replaced/revitalized. The spots are still vacant, and this probably won't change for a long time.

Hunting Season is done...

Zoombael said:
HoloDust said:

You have something against East Europian devs?

Someone would fill the space...I've seen many publishers and devs go down, some of my favourite ones actually, and eventually someone filled those spots again.

I had a specific developer - which is southern european, not eastern, my mistake - in mind.

I've seen publishers, devs, franchises and genres go down, and many didn't get properly replaced/revitalized. The spots are still vacant, and this probably won't change for a long time.

Honestly, not sure what dev you're refering to, but since you've mentioned RE...well, I remember back in early 90s how many people were enamoured with Alone in the Dark, what is considered forefather of later survival horror games like RE and SH. And then it fizzled out for some reason, to be replaced with...well, RE and SH.

One of my favourite genres, P&C adventures, got practically dead in near end of 90s - there were some high profile realeses like Longest Journey, and later Still Life and Syberia, but it took really long time for it to have renaissance, and now it's more than alive and kicking for quite some time.

Similar thing happened with classic ISO cRPGs of late 90s/early 00s, and it was long, long wait, but eventually there was a renaissance.

So i really think, even if devs fail, people who worked for those devs mostly find another way to make their visions come through, and new people who grew up, loved and learned from their designs pick up the mantle.