By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Should we ban older films for being too offensive? (The satire "The Last Temptation of Christ" - 1988)

Ban "The Last Temptation of Christ?"

Yes! 2 7.14%

No (if so, explain why... you bastard!) 26 92.86%

Total:28
CrazyGamer2017 said:

We don't ban, we never ban OBVIOUSLY!

Because 3 words: Freedom of Speech, or freedom of artistic expression, freedom of opinion etc.

Banning, censoring, forbidding are all signs of an ignorant society that can't stand dissident points of view. Banning/censoring is the root to dictatorship. It's the implicit admission of one's limitations and it's a way to prevent progress. A lot of progress has come to be because some people bravely stood out against the ideas and mores of their times. (And the stupidity of their peers)

NEVER ban the last temptation of Christ or The realm of the senses or the written works of the Marquis De Sade etc...

Banning/censoring someone else's opinions/ideas/artistic works is for weak minds and as history has it, too many weak minds hold way too much power in this world.

(Don't I know something about it )

Cloud Atlas, another movie, is chalk full of "true true's" over time.

Best to let the market decide for the most part. There's plenty of people willing to accept lesser quality for knockoff's of any kind.

Around the Network

Depends on what you mean by ban... People seem to be very confused on the topic of censorship.

Should governments make laws criminalizing certain content? No.
Should the free market be able to use free speech within the legal limits to compel a company to alter, not release, or recall a product they do not like? Yes.

People call for freedom of speech, expression crap, yet you never see anything daring that tests judaism or anything jewish related, people will immediately label anti semitism and shut it down. But people can do as they please when it comes to christ/catholics etc

It depends on what is the offending part, but in general, no!

I already can't stand that some older animation from the likes of a Tex Avery for instance have been cut down to cut out things that are considered racist these days. Magical Maestro, Uncle Tom's Cabana... They are considered art. It's as if somebody would come with a tee to cover up the Venus from Milo, or paint a black bar over Adams crotch in the Sistine Chapel.

However, something that was made purely as a propaganda or a hitpiece or for disinformation, then yeah. I would still keep them accessible on demand and store them in the best possible storage due to their potential historical value, but basically annotated with the problems pointed out.

Hogwash

On the more serious note, Life of Brian is one of my all time favourites, we were lucky to have Python's to make such incredilbe film and George Harrison who gave them the money to make it cause he simply "wanted to see it".

Around the Network

About the question in the poll: Don't ban "The Last Temptation of Christ". Make them write Romanes eunt domus Romanii ite domum all over the walls of Hollywood or cut the producer's balls off if he doesn't comply

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 10 September 2019

Bofferbrauer2 said:

I already can't stand that some older animation from the likes of a Tex Avery for instance have been cut down to cut out things that are considered racist these days. Magical Maestro, Uncle Tom's Cabana... They are considered art. It's as if somebody would come with a tee to cover up the Venus from Milo, or paint a black bar over Adams crotch in the Sistine Chapel.

Warner Bros handles this quite classy.

Summerset said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Warner Bros handles this quite classy.

I own European Video cassettes of some Tex Avery shorts, which are prefaced by a similar message and no editing at all. I hold on to my old VCR almost just for those vids

Then they got re-released on DVD with heavy editing...

Nope. People need to quit being pansies and getting offended by everything.

Offensive according to who? Who's the arbiter of that? Who would you trust to make such descisions for you?